View Single Post

Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 PM #41
Otto the Otter
"Toot" Spelled inside out

-->
Otto the Otter will become famous soon enough -->

Quite simply, I'm cute, playful and I dwell in rivers and oceans and eat oysters on my belly while I swim.

My middle name is Otto, and it's the name I go by. Otter came from a few different sources. After I took the Force Recon indoc, the instructors asked us to see if we wanted to go for a record to see who could tread water longest. PT gear only (shorts) and all we had to do was not touch the side, we didn't have to stay in one place. During this time, I thought I'd be a smart ass, as Ia m wont to be, and a friend tossed me part of an MRE and I ate it on my chest. The instructor called me Otter, told me to get out of the pool and I had to do more than a few push ups. "The Otter" stuck with me for the rest of my time in the Marines, but was interchangable with my other nickname, "Phlip." I won't tell you th origins of that one.

After I got out of the Marines, the name didn't stick with me, but oddly enough, several years later, a buddy of mine slipped up when saying my name and said Otter, so he started calling me that, with it soon catching on with everyone else in the shop, and at the same time the woman I was dating started calling me that and it sort of stuck.

I tend to use Otter, The Otter, Otto The Otter, I am The Otter, etc on almost all the forums of which I'm a memeber.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, or perhaps food, or drugs... I turn not to any of those... I collect action figures, turning my mind to the hunt, so that I might find a mote of peace... Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.