JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (http://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   JoeDioes.com Forum (http://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   G.I.JOE RETALIATION. Did You like it? (http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4897)

cyko 04-03-2013 12:03 PM

Loved the movie. I'm surprised that non-Joe afficionados don't seem to be accepting of it as an action movie. I thought it did great on that front as well as a much better job of acknowledging the GIJoe mythos/history.

I agree with the comments about the pace: it did feel a little "rushed" (even after a 9 month delay. Ha!). I suspect it differs quite a bit from the early 2012 cut, was remixed and still cut down. It would be too cool for a director's cut to be put on disc.

The BATman 04-03-2013 01:03 PM

Don't expect your friends and family to like this movie. It's not a good movie, of course. Huge plot holes, ridiculous villain plans, hilarious science fails, a truckload of story telling cliches, fake ninja fight scenes with impossible moves, and a total lack of suspense... It's your typical Hollywood action film, not a piece of art.

But, even if it's not a good movie per se, is it perhaps a good GIJoe movie ?

Well, at the very least, it's infinitely better than Rise of Cobra (admittedly, that was not much of a challenge), for the simple reason that the makers of Retaliation seem to have paid attention to "vintage" incarnations of the franchise.

Unlike in Rise of Cobra, many characters are now instantly recognizable: Cobra Commander, Firefly, Jinx... all evoke their older cartoon and toy counterparts. (Though I don't remember seeing Flint wearing a black beret and gloves. Anyone ?) Some vehicles too are obvious throwbacks to earlier designs; the HISS tank, the boats, the buggy that screamed AWE Striker to me...

There's Red Ninjas, there's Jinx in Helix outfit, there's Joe Colton, Zandar... And people and equipment actually carry the classic Cobra logo ! The Marvel comics also provided some obvious inspiration for the character background of our ninjas, of Zartan...

The futuristic technology used by Joes and Cobras is not less unrealistic than that of the previous movie, but somehow the total lack of ray guns brings it all well within the boundaries of suspension of disbelief. Oh, and the conversion to 3D was indeed done pretty well.

All in all, it's not as faithful an adaptation as Dredd was, which really was a Judge Dredd comic brought to the big screen. But yes, I think a GIJoe fan can find a lot of things to like in this film.

Black Knight 04-04-2013 12:05 AM

Saw it for the second time tonight... still loved it, still felt rushed, still best 3d I've seen yet.

snipesfg17 04-08-2013 02:53 PM

I really enjoyed it. Pretty much nonstop action, and the classic Cobra fail at the end just before complete world domination reminded me of the cartoon endings that were so enjoyable.

Renegade 04-08-2013 03:43 PM

Best movie of 2013. IMO.

Black Knight 04-10-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Best movie of 2013. IMO.

So far, yes... but Ironman 3 is due out in a few weeks... that's gonna make it a tough call.

figureware 04-10-2013 06:24 AM

Cool

I liked it! Lots of fun! Did feel a lil rushed and a lil cheap almost like a Jackie Chan movie! But a lot of fun to watch! :)

cyko 04-10-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight
So far, yes... but Ironman 3 is due out in a few weeks... that's gonna make it a tough call.

Good point. Note to self: drop another $15 on 3D Joe before spending $15 on 3D Iron Man 3. At least my meager contributions will equal out! :p

Crimson Pilot 04-12-2013 06:23 PM

Saw it in 3D. It was tons better than the last. Changed the roster a lot,on both sides, that's for sure.

seyms 04-15-2013 05:08 PM

Hi there. Wow been away from here for a while.

I saw it last week in 3D. I should have seen it in 2D, as I thought the 3D was actually a bit of a distraction. Like others have said, the film did have several large plot holes and too many characters to allow for enough screen time and introduction to all of them e.g. a proper intro for Jinx, an explanation for Storm's re-appearance. What happened to the Pit in Egypt, what happened to the globally-diverse unit as in the first film, how come the Tread Ripper didn't get hit, while all the HISS tanks were destroyed, etc.

How many weapons does Colton need in his house? How paranoid must he be?? Are they all out to get him?? Why would anyone have fake cutlery drawers and false cooker hobs built into their house, especially if he's retired. At the onset of senility he'd be out of luck trying to find a butter knife (yes, yes, I know it was all just a plot device to get the Joes some weapons in a short space of time). And how many times must they say "Hu-ahh" or whatever??? And why must every US action flick now have the apparently obligatory US soldiers beating up faceless terrorists scene??

That said, Retaliation had more colour (UK spelling) to it than Rise of Cobra, the outfits, the locations. CC's look was great, just wish he had had more screen time, and wished there was more of him walking in slow-motion with trench coat billowing in the wind, like in the trailers. Very cool. President Zartan stole the show, just brilliant. Too bad he didn't get away too. Blind Masters role should have been more than just exposition. I agree the last half hour was rushed, and it was a shame so many bits from the trailers did not make it into this cut.

I did appreciate their attempt at a "story so far" opening credits sequence. It was appreciated that they acknowledged RoC and the nanomite storyline. Roll on Destro and the IGs for the next film!