JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (http://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   JoeDioes.com Forum (http://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Moderator Nominations (http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5074)

neapolitan joe 07-09-2017 04:14 PM

Grazie!

Thank You ThinkTank, G.I.*Jock and Meddatron for the kind words.
As I can see Joedios is back again!

vespapilot79 07-09-2017 04:50 PM

Thank you.

Thank you very much.I greatly appreciate the kind words and endorsement. I will do my best to assist whomever it may be in assuring the site is well cared for.

Vespapilot79: I have been impressed by your posts on this thread and feel that you would be an excellent fit as you have demonstrated successfully that you can be the voice of reason, time and again.

Whatever the outcome, good luck to all!

D :)[/QUOTE]

silentdusty 07-09-2017 07:57 PM

Well, this got nasty. I definitely won't be throwing my vote to Nekoman, guys like him are the reason I left in the first place. I hope that the three mods chosen by Hammerfel will keep this place the awesome place it was when I first joined, it got pretty dark for awhile.

RavensReturn 07-09-2017 09:13 PM

I know I am newly back. Yes, my old account was closed due to me being a dickbag. I'll be the first to admit it. At the time, the admins here were terrible. They were KNOWN bullies, KNOWN haters of the site. Hell, one of them even started a website where they made fun of its members personally. (I was a target of that)...

At the end of the day, it's Nate's call. Yes, alot of us old timers are coming back because we wanna make this place the way it was in 2009. Weekly challenges, annual awards shows, even Graham had movies quizzes for members. It was a REAL community. I want that COMMUNITY again.

I, too, vote for Dr. Phibes , Vespapilot and 218. They have been my friends in the community for well over a decade. They KNOW how to support members, they are exactly what this site needs to bring BACK that feeling of a real community. Honest. Fair. True gentlemen.

Take my nomination for what it's worth, as an old member coming back. Agree or disagree, but at the end of the day, it's who I believe will help make this place great again.

Mike T. 07-09-2017 09:18 PM

Seeing so many old members come out of the woodwork suggests to me that:

A. You've all been lurking for some time and not participating.
B. You've actively chosen to not be part of the community here, but stayed active elsewhere.

So, my open questions to everyone are:

1. What are the first things you'll change about the site to bring you back and keep you around?
2. Do you feel that the members who have been recently active require policing?

RavensReturn 07-09-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T.

1. What are the first things you'll change about the site to bring you back and keep you around?

Totally fair questions in my opinion. I'm not in the running, nor do I want to be, but I can answer for myself.

I haven't been overly active in ANY community for some time now. My review channel lay dormant, and mostly I have been posting to Instagram. I have gone through a major personal change over the last few months and wanted to come to a place where I knew I could hang out and be in a place that, at the end of the day, has alot of good memories for me. My photos are still up under LordRaven, and my old comic book style reviews.

THAT is what I want to bring back here.

The second question, policing may be too harsh of a term. Watched, monitored, totally. Who knows what some peoples intentions are. Plus, it's the internet, there is ALWAYS an arsehole somewhere (I know, I was one at one point). I hit my 3 post cap in 5 seconds and I can't wait till tomorrow to share MORE.

I can't speak for everyone, but this is how I feel, and I hope from ME, the ole Shaneomac/LordRaven, this alleviates some of your worry if you had some?

lehsreh 07-10-2017 06:19 PM

Sonnelion 218 and NeoJoe.
I know that Sonnelion and 218 have both been mods before, and have always been level headed and fair. And NeoJoe has been around and is one who has a pure love for Joes and I have never seen him post anything ill toward anyone.

Flint 07-10-2017 06:33 PM

Boy this is a hard one so many real good people to choose from any of you would be great for the job. My choices are 218, sonnelion, selvaland.

Hit&Run 07-10-2017 09:28 PM

While I'm not new to the site, I am new to all this drama. Actually, other than the kid posting selfies on here I want aware there were any issues. I've been a member now for over 10 years with nearly 8000 posts, I try to comment on eveyones pictures in all the sections and I think everyone should be welcomed here, new and old members. Following, what I think are few simple rules of no more than 3 pics, putting things in the right sections, no foul language, etc. I think we should be able to moderator ourselves, after all this is a hobby of collecting toys. I come here to look at and enjoy everyone's efforts, marveling at people's creativity and collections and not to be caught up in he said she said stuff. I have been collecting Joes since 1982 and love this website. I hope we can all just come to an agreement.

As I said, I don't involve myself in this stuff, I think this might be my second post ever in the forums, but I asked to come here and give my choices. From what I understand they are the 3 frontrunners so I would vote for NJ as he seems to be the longest running member with the most posts and follows my efforts to comment on every picture. I would also vote for Mike T as I have been a fan if his blog and pics here for years, I was glad to see his return here and Gijoewasthere as he is one of the few guys I have talked too off the site and I like his tagline "Comment to Participate" But I would also nominate Slipstream and Flint because it seemed like a good 2 years us 3 and Thunder/Steeler (wish he'd come back), slevland and Gijoewasthere were the only ones posting pictures.

I don't expect my voice to matter and will remain a member no matter the outcome, but I do ask that if you are a member, new or old that you do offer a comment, praise or offer a tip to someone who took the time to post an image. If you look most of my posts have been about sharing knowledge, Being a member is more than just looking! Good luck to those who want the job and keep the members and pics coming, we all know we need as must interest in this dying hobby!

Mike T. 07-11-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T.
Seeing so many old members come out of the woodwork suggests to me that:

A. You've all been lurking for some time and not participating.
B. You've actively chosen to not be part of the community here, but stayed active elsewhere.

So, my open questions to everyone are:

48 hours and not many replies. Curious.

ender098 07-12-2017 09:42 AM

I have been pretty quiet. I think everyone of us has their own reasons for coming back. But none of it is Nefarious or dubious. Shane hit the nail square on the head so I didn't think there was any reason for more discussion, but if you must know....
I can only speak for myself and my feelings about the matter. I'm going to try and keep it brief but it will take some detailed explanation. I will say I fear speaking out because (and I see this in this thread) no matter what you say and how you say it, some people will twist it to make an argument for their own agenda. I'm sick of drama. Take my words for EXACTLY what they mean, I chose them carefully.

I was participating a lot back in the heyday. When I was in Afghanistan(2011) and had limited internet, I stared hearing about people coming on the site and causing problems and knocking heads with the people that are labeled "the old guard".
But then I started seeing these same people still breaking the rules and flaunting the fact the moderators had no power over them. They accused some of us who got labeled "The old Guard" of being a clique. To some degree, we are, in that we are friends, most of whom met and became friends here on Joedios just from helping each other out with either positive feedback/criticism or helping someone get figures or dio supplies. We were and still are not exclusive on who we are friends with, if we were there would only be 2-3 of us. Matt Morelock who caused no end of drama on this site and aggravated the heck out of us when he was 14 eventually became a friend to many of us and still is to this day. Anyway, back to the issues...a group of individuals accused us of being a mob,a gang or a clique and at the same time, were acting up bullying people, breaking the rules and being allowed to do so unopposed. Most of the "Old Guard" as we are called got sick of it, the one or two that were Mods stepped down and walked away because once these individuals were banned or held accountable, they troublemakers went to the owner and were reinstated. I stayed, because I hadn't been accosted by this bunch of Tucker Max wanna be's. Didn't take long, though. They singled me out as one of the last remaining "old Guard"and began harassing me and anyone who spoke to me. I was told by them I had no say on this site anymore and me being in Afghanistan was no excuse for not participating. (Yes, that was said to me!) I can take being set on by a bunch of vultures, it was about the site and the new people,and not me, however, when many of the new members came to me and told me what was going on, I went over the new moderators head, (who I found out later was one of this Tucker Max bunch with a new account) and when I did, I was disrespected again. For telling the boss these guys were being bullied and harassed, I was told "I" was making drama. That was the last straw for me. I walked away. I can take a LOT but seeing a place I loved being blatantly turned into a paradise for childish college brats with a chip on their shoulder and an agenda was too much. Now, looking back on it, was I set up? Were these new members schill
accounts coming to me to make me go above the moderators head? I dunno and I don't care. I was acting in good faith believing someone was being harassed and bullied and acted on it. And I will not apologize for that. And I got told I was causing drama and then was told by this new Tucker Max posse, straight up that they were untouchable and I was on my way out whether I stayed or not. So my choice was stay and keep up the drama or let the nuts run the asylum. I chose the latter.

So, to answer your questions, 1.) what are the first things you'll change about the site to bring you back and keep you around. Well, I'm not asking for a Moderator spot, but from the three I cast my vote for, I know them well enough to know they are fair and reasonable and will stimulate discussion and participation to the best of their ability as well as keep up with the basic tedious maintenance tasks that have been overlooked her for such long time. As 218 says, open the curtains and let the sun shine in. 2.) Do you feel the members who have been recently active require policing? In My opinion, no. JoeDios has always been a place where 99.999999% of the community works well together and needs very little moderation. Moderators need to just make sure the rules are being followed (pics in the right category, no over zealous filth talk, etc.),and make new member feel welcome and encourage them to participate, that's all. As I said the MAIN reason I came back and voted is because these guys who are my friends want to make this place better by trying to increase participation and stimulate interest in the hobby.

And I'm gonna be totally honest with you. I have not participated and will not participate for a while. Why? Because I fear another issue like the one that caused the mass exodus. I intend to wait a while and see if the owner is going to back his moderators when and if people like the Tucker Max gang came back and start stuff, or will he reinstate them and eventually give them the keys to the kingdom as was done in 2011. I am cautiously optimistic. I know the guys who I cast my vote for will make the site better for the participants to the best of their ability, but I am not so sure that if Drama starts and they try to head it off that it will be supported by Nate. yes, I have lurked here since I left and what have I seen? Participation has gone down, there is no stimulation of discussion in the forums, new members coming and not staying active (That can't be helped sometimes, as some are just looking for a taste of what the site is about). The ones who have stayed have done their best and the troublemakers have moved on, and hopefully will not come back. I WANT this site to succeed, but I am not gonna throw in 100% only to find my work on a site that lets bullies and thugs run the asylum. If that negated my votes, fine. But if you care about the people who are here now and stuck it out, you will realize the guys I threw my vote in for are the ones who can improve the participation, they have a known track record of it.

I know, when we left, the crew that was in charge were saying we were a clique and bad mouthing us. Saying we were what they were, bullies and elitists, and if that is the side you believe, then I understand your concerns. But look back in the different sections and look at our participation from 2003 to 2011....now look at 2011 to today....where are the guys who bad mouthed us? Are they here making thing better? Or did they get the run of the place, ruin everything and lost interest? Yes, we have been active other places, to us it's the hobby and the people...NOT power tripping and making ourselves out to be gods. People gave us the Moniker "the old guard" and we are proud of it and appreciate it, but we all were mentored and assisted ad encouraged by those who went before us like HellJester, Motor-viper, Hammerfel, Outrider, Luke Ellison. If I decide to call that group who stared this site and were it's first participants "The Titans", does it mean they are elitists? No, just showing respect, and I'm sure if they were still around they would do as we are trying to do, encourage, stimulate and promote interest in the hobby. That's my $.02. I hope that answered your questions and addressed your concerns.

neapolitan joe 07-12-2017 10:12 AM

Ender098, ditto!

The Titans, the Old Guard, the Secessionists, the prodigal sons, the newbies, are we in the 1979 "Warriors" movie!?
:D

silentdusty 07-12-2017 10:16 AM

To answer Mike T.

1) I really don't need anything about the website needs to be changed, it appears that the members that were causing the issues back in 2011 when alot of us stopped participating are gone. So no issues there. I'm not interested in being a mod, so I have no axe to grind. I just hope that the site goes back to what it was. A place for passionate GI Joe fans to post their pictures, and receive feedback, constructive criticism, I stress constructive, and encouragement. It was a great community once, I hope it goes back to those days.

2) Policing, like Ender098, and RavensReturn have stated, the members really don't need policing, other than the occasional reminder of the 3 picture rule, once in a while maybe some foul language or inappropriate posts. But those incidents are rare. I think the site can run on it's own quite well, with a few mods in the background making sure things run smooth.

What I don't want to see is bullying, blatant bending of the rules, etc. that went on for awhile. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Regards,
SD

Hammerfel 07-12-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentdusty
... the members really don't need policing, other than the occasional reminder of the 3 picture rule, once in a while maybe some foul language or inappropriate posts. But those incidents are rare. I think the site can run on it's own quite well, with a few mods in the background making sure things run smooth.

What I don't want to see is bullying, blatant bending of the rules, etc. that went on for awhile. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Well said!

Given that moderating here isn't a lot of work, I have decided to make it only 1 person as mod, Neapolitan Joe. Congrats NJ! :)

cmyaj 07-12-2017 10:30 AM

Congratulations, NJ!

I know the site will be in good hands! :)

Meddatron 07-12-2017 10:35 AM

Congrats NJ. Very well deserved.

G.I.*Jock 07-12-2017 10:42 AM

Congratulations! Do the site proud!

D :)

Dr. Phibes 07-12-2017 10:50 AM

Yo NeoJoe! (huh, doesn't have the same ring)

Congrats! Thank you for taking the position.

Scarrviper 07-12-2017 10:52 AM

Congrats.

ender098 07-12-2017 11:27 AM

Congratulations neapolitan joe!

tycondrius23 07-12-2017 11:53 AM

awesome Neapolitian joe (hope I spelt that right ) :D

vespapilot79 07-12-2017 12:42 PM

Mods

Congrats NJ!

gijoeiwasthere 07-12-2017 01:04 PM

Francesco, My Friend, Please Accept!!

Slipstream80 07-12-2017 01:08 PM

Congrats Neapolitan Joe!

silentdusty 07-12-2017 01:26 PM

Congratulation Neapolitan Joe! Well deserved!

TwoOneEight 07-12-2017 03:15 PM

Congratulations Neapolitan Joe! Yay!

neapolitan joe 07-12-2017 06:23 PM

Thank You very much!

Thank You very much to Hammerfel and to You, my friends!
:o ;) :p
I'll be fully operational since thursday, july 20th due to an holiday trip in a small island (not Cobra Island!), probably without internet connection!
I will serve You and Joedios with honor.
Let's put this place up for good: G.I.JOE number 1 site in 2018 and after!
Francesco Santé, Neapolitan Joe.
Grazie.

RavensReturn 07-12-2017 06:23 PM

YAY NJ! Congrats old friend!

gijoeiwasthere 07-13-2017 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan joe
Thank You very much to Hammerfel and to You, my friends!
:o ;) :p
I'll be fully operational since thursday, july 20th due to an holiday trip in a small island (not Cobra Island!), probably without internet connection!
I will serve You and Joedios with honor.
Let's put this place up for good: G.I.JOE number 1 site in 2018 and after!
Francesco Santé, Neapolitan Joe.
Grazie.

Enjoy you trip!

snakeling 07-13-2017 11:11 AM

Congratulations, enforce that 3 pic rule, it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

yorktownjoe 07-13-2017 11:12 AM

Congratulations Neapolitan Joe! Also wishing you safe and happy travels!

lehsreh 07-13-2017 08:01 PM

Congrats NJ

selvaland 07-14-2017 03:59 AM

It's a good choice! Congrats!
Long live to JD! 😎

tria 07-14-2017 12:01 PM

Congratulations Neapolitan Joe!! You are one of the most dedicated fans of the site! Well deserved!

Flint 07-16-2017 08:09 PM

AWESOME NEWS! Congrats NJ :)

neapolitan joe 07-20-2017 09:33 AM

I'm back!

I'm back!
Welcome everybody!

Dr. Phibes 07-20-2017 03:22 PM

YAY! Time to start moderating!

Uh, not that there is anything to do these days. lol