JoeDios.com Forums

JoeDios.com Forums (http://www.joedios.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-To (http://www.joedios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Home Made StarGate. (http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476)

ender098 01-13-2007 12:17 PM

Home Made StarGate.

Ok, here's the deal. I wanted to get a Stargate compatable with my 3.75" Joes. I looked for an affordable alternative that had the correct size, but finally decided to try to make my own. I want it to be like the Stargate in the movie and show, but I don't want THAT stargate. I want the same Concept. An alien porthole that can transport you from one to another, same shape, but looks different and not tied to the Stargate universe!

I looked for a sturdy material. I started looking for Wood and metal at Lowes and Home Depot. But with no luck! I even went to Michaels. The only thing I found was a Styrofoam Wreath. I remembered I had a large assortment of Stryofoam at home, so I could build a base from that! But I don't know how I'm going to paint it! (Paint usually melts styrofoam!) Anyway, this is what I have so far;

I pinned it together with dowels from WalMArt. Then I went to coat it with DAS. (my intention is let it harden, sand and paint it to look like Stone or a weird Alien Material..but one step at a time......);

I decided to coat it to coat it with DAS Clay. I had to work fast and pinch it off and stick it together in small pieces;

ender098 01-13-2007 12:19 PM

It comes out lumpy. I had to smooth it by getting my fingers wet and rubbing it down.

ender098 01-13-2007 12:21 PM

I didn't have enough DAs to finish, so I'm off to Palm Springs to get more, but here's what it looks like so far;

and here's another shot to get an idea of the Scale;

This is a work in progress. I'll be adding more as I finish this project.......stay tuned!

Sonneilon 01-13-2007 12:44 PM

Holy FRAK, Frank, that's awesome. As far as I know, melting the stryofoam depends on what kind of paint you use. Back in my warhammer days, we knew better than to use spray paint on that stuff. We always painted a base coat then texture painted the stuff. I can tell by what you are doing, it'll be great. I simply don't use styrofoam cuz I don't feel like trying to carve it all up. 3d modeling is NOT my forte.

bluestalker88 01-13-2007 02:20 PM

loking good frank looking good. keep up the great work.

Nick

LordRaven 01-15-2007 06:24 PM

I've seen some of the stuff Frank's come up with, I think we should start calling him Martha Stewart ;-)

silentdusty 01-27-2007 03:01 PM

Yes, definitely Maathaa! What would you recommend for decorating a Joe themed rec room Frank? ;)

ender098 02-04-2007 07:30 PM

OK, I finished covering it with Clay.

But I forgot.....the clay adds mass that will "crowd" the ring, so I had to cut a chunk out to get it to stand upright!

ender098 02-04-2007 07:33 PM

I painted the base primer gray to get the effect of stone.

I needed to make the ring look "other Worldly" so I used a metallic blue....I still have to add some decoration to make it look alien....but here is so far......

General Scarlett 02-04-2007 07:56 PM

DAMN Frank!! That is tight!!!!!