PDA

View Full Version : The Comic Box #19!!!

General Scarlett
05-11-2007, 05:35 AM
Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

#19. Joe Triumph's

~Short Summary~
The Joes battle Cobra above G.I. Joe HQ. Major Bludd escapes with the wounded Baroness.

~Notes of Interest~
Significant turn-around issue. General Flagg, Dr. Venom, Scar-face and Kwinn all die in this issue. First appearance of the Joe pre-fab fortress, known as Joe headquarters in the toy world. First appearance of Cobra's S.N.A.K.E. battle armor and the G.I. Joe P.A.C./R.A.T.S. The issue came with a Snake Eyes pin-up, and the corner cover picture of Grunt was replaced for one issue with a sketch of fill-in editor Linda Grant in an army helmet, surrounded by explosions.
-summary from yojoe.com-

http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe19.shtml

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/PrncsLeia/DSC01972_edited.jpg
-image courtesy of yojoe.com-

Discuss away!

maxtype
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Excellent issue!!! This was Larry Hama reaching his potential on GI Joe-nothing would EVER be the same................including the new complexity of plot and characterization....................

Kwinn dies as he has lived,with honor....................General Flagg dies in a sudden act of murder..............Dr. Venom gets his just rewards.................Scar-Face is just unlucky..................

The first REAL 'downer' ending............the price of victory is high................

Lots of 'new toys' SNAKE Armor,PACRAT's,the HQ....................

I loved the Snake-Eyes pin-up,too-HARR!!!

Outrider
05-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Maxtype said it all. This was the grittiest issue to date , with multiple deaths and a great storyline; certainly Hama was right on top of his game. The fact that Bludd murdered Gen Flagg was never really played up as much as it could have been in following issues. One of the "highlight" issues of the entire run.

Sonneilon
05-12-2007, 10:13 AM
This was a great issue. Plenty of deaths and it was like THE climax. At the same time, it would be a few issues later that the series seemed to hit stride. The swamp adventure, creation of Cobra Island, the Cobra War... Those were the highlights for me.