PDA

View Full Version : Water Shots!

Buckwheat826
07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Man, I was trying to get some work (wound up taking a swim...heh heh, I don't mind) in yesterday outdoors but the bluddy current is unforgiving. Even in "calm" situtations, doing it alone is almost impossible. I tried making some floatillas but they're useless. I suppose massive photo editing will have to do. Blast!

I thought of simulating a scene in an controlled setting as an option but any suggestions of capturing the real deal of like an ocean/ beach on film, using boats, etc?

Lastly, I didn't use much stuff, but when you bring your Joes to the outdoors, they loose their "mintyness" and seem now like a used car. They broke their cherry so to speak. :(

Anyone done something simular so I can see? If not, I TOTALLY understand as it's tuff for these main reasons.

Thanks!

Luke Ellison
07-24-2005, 09:45 PM
For above water shots, try shallow streams maybe... and just shoot from above enough to block out any foliage along the bank. If you want that vast ocean feel, you might wanna try creating an anchor with some fishing sinkers and attach them to the boats hull with waterproof tape... just make sure the line is long enough to reach the waters floor... also, playmobil makes a watertight mini engine you can attach with tape to your boats which give off a cool wake behind the boat.

Buckwheat826
07-26-2005, 10:44 AM
I've got the streams deal covered it's def the ocean that's tricky.

Anchors! That's a great idea and hadn't even considred that. When I can get back out there, I'll give it a shot. Thanks man.

Ion
08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Well I made (and will be making) some above water photos. I got near my countryside house a river with quite a strong stream, and so taking water shots is difficult, but not impossible. I'm making them mostly on my own, without any help (but sometimes it's necessary). My hints? Well - first of all, it all depends on the bottom kind. If the bottom of the river (or whatever water you're working on with Your Joes) is rocky and has plenty of stones - the task is easier. Simply you just have to get some rocks together to make a platform for the vechicle you want to stand still. Of course I do not advise to take photos on 2 meter deep water. Shallow are better - you don't need to have that much rocks...
BUT if you don't have any rocks... hen making an anchor is the best idea, but you can also use some building foam or styrofoam and attach it using e. g. double sided adhesive tape. This works especially with hovercrafts like Cobra Rat (I'll try to post some pics today).
Well every idea is good - attaching boats to heavy objects on the banks using (clear or green - depends on the foliage around) fishing string could also work if you take good shooting angle (eliminates 90% of computer editing).
The idea with those engines is great - I'll have to try it, but for me they seem better in taking in-movement pictures.

If anybody have any questions - feel free to ask, I'm maybe not a master or even a very good photo shooter, but I may know other tips than you.

Buckwheat826
08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the tips. I haven't been out to shoot, been so blasted busy...especially to where the beach/grotto local is. The wave current is tame by human standards but not for Joes. Even if anchored the/they (watercraft, etc) will be bobbing and turning about. I will def need an assistant me thinks. The shallower the depths are obviously closer to the beach shore. I want to capture the look of being outward. A pond would be most feasible but not for the look. I will give it another go when I can.

Thanks again for you guys' feedback.

-B

picollogoku
08-24-2005, 01:51 PM
there is an easy way to do photo shots of objects in water that i use to take pictures of fish. Use a piece of glass to corner in maybe you could use the same idea :cool: