PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp/ Military Memories

ew3smiley1996
05-07-2007, 08:07 PM
I know I am new and I can't spell, but i was wondering how many people in here were in the service? and if you were in did entertainment help lead you that way? Also what are some of your fond memories of the service!

I think that reading comics and watching movies like Star Wars and cartoons like G.I.Joe help lead me to my decision, but my father and uncle were also sailors as well! I Joined the U.S.Navy in '91. I served from '92-96 on the USS Supply (AOE-6).
I then joined the New Jersey Army National Guard (Field Artillery) in March of '01 and am still in now! I will admit i may not always like my job but i always liked the people!

Sorry if this is too off topic, but i am just curious!

General Scarlett
05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
It's not 'off topic' at all!! You'll find in this forum, very little is............

Welcome to the group!! We do have a few members who have served or are serving, so you'll find some new 'old war buddies' here......

Can't wait to hear what you've got to contribute!!! Let me know if there's anything you need help with!!

Fantom
05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Welcome ew3smiley...

I was in the Army and my fondest memory was when I received my honerable discharge in August of 2000 ;)

Blowtorch
05-08-2007, 10:30 AM
So many memories....it's hard to pick my fondest one. I will say this joining the Army and serving my country is the greatest honor anyone could ever have. Even now after being out for 10 plus years I still miss it.

blackgrifter
05-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I am new to the site as well. Like you, watching my favorite shows like the A-TEAM, G.I. Joe, Battlestar Galatic helped conviced me to join the Navy. I have been in since 89 with a year and a half to go. One of my favorite memoires was when i "Crossed the line" going from Pollywog to Shellback. I have been on USS MONTWHITTNEY, USS WHIRLWIND, USS ARDENT and USS NASHVILLE. :cool:

ender098
05-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I grew up with a friend who was into war movies and war toys....I started with Star Wars, but I got Hooked on GI Joe when I was 14. I wanted to see action. Unfortunately, I got out in Jan of 1990, and missed the first Gulf War.

I hated being in the Army, until I was out...then I missed my brothers in arms. After I got out of college, I came back (Marines this time) , mainly to feed my Family, but I really missed the comeraderie from my Army days. Now I love the Corps. I don't know what I'm gonna do when I retire in 5 years....it's gonna suck!

ew3smiley1996
05-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I did 3 yrs on activation from may of '03-nov'05. then 6 months on medhold for kidney stones... lol! my wife wishes i would go back on active duty because i was making enough so she could stay at home with our 3 kids. i changed my mind and my wife asked me why and i told her that i already spent 1 1/2yr away from my then 2 kids because i was stationed in Mass for Operation Noble Eagle. and i am trying to get her to understand that if i go active army or navy i maybe stationed close by but i could be out on training exercies for weeks or months ata time. so right now i want to spend time with my wife and kids!
Is that wrong of me?

C-GDSM 2487
05-09-2007, 04:53 AM
HI ew3smiley1996
i did 15 yrs in the army <uk> i went in at 16 stright from school
best time of my life.. enjoyed it very much you have great times. good and bad.. i got medical discharge A1 for injurys in active service

you have great mates ..time go very fast indeed..
blow torch i now how it feels i miss the army as well big time and the lads

now i have seattled down and got a family..
as for spelling well i am no good at it at all

ender098
05-10-2007, 02:57 PM
That's the thing. We who have served know what we're taking about. Those moments we shared with our brothers in arms that can never be explained to or understood by those who haven't "been there". It's cool because sometimes you're talking to a service member or former service member, and you get it . You know EXACTLY what they are trying to say, without them having to elaborate it. And other times, it alienates you. You try to explain it to High School friends and relatives and they look at you like no matter how much you explain what you're trying to say, they will never truely understand you. It's especially difficult to get through to your Family. Wife and kids. That's when it alienates you the most. Knowing your life will be spent with them, but there is a side of you they will never truely Know.

Blowtorch
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]That's the thing. We who have served know what we're taking about. Those moments we shared with our brothers in arms that can never be explained to or understood by those who haven't "been there". It's cool because sometimes you're talking to a service member or former service member, and you get it . You know EXACTLY what they are trying to say, without them having to elaborate it. And other times, it alienates you. You try to explain it to High School friends and relatives and they look at you like no matter how much you explain what you're trying to say, they will never truely understand you. It's especially difficult to get through to your Family. Wife and kids. That's when it alienates you the most. Knowing your life will be spent with them, but there is a side of you they will never truely Know.[/QUOTE]

That is so true.

C-GDSM 2487
05-11-2007, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=ender098]That's the thing. We who have served know what we're taking about. Those moments we shared with our brothers in arms that can never be explained to or understood by those who haven't "been there". It's cool because sometimes you're talking to a service member or former service member, and you get it . You know EXACTLY what they are trying to say, without them having to elaborate it. And other times, it alienates you. You try to explain it to High School friends and relatives and they look at you like no matter how much you explain what you're trying to say, they will never truely understand you. It's especially difficult to get through to your Family. Wife and kids. That's when it alienates you the most. Knowing your life will be spent with them, but there is a side of you they will never truely Know.[/QUOTE]

THATS 100% true

it dont matter were you served or what service this hits the spot.. :)

jjsvipers
05-14-2007, 03:26 PM
i was in the army from 1992-98. my first duty assignment after ait at ft eustis, va was korea, camp humphreys, and than ft campbell, ky for 4yrs until my contract was up, my favorite moment was when my aviation wings were pinned on, i was a ch47 mechanic + everything else they wanted me to do, toolroom, nightvision goggle tech, master of the broom... and post police, we did everything, i drove the scamp in korea camp humphreys we were the blackcats, my job was to move the aircraft around the airfield not to mention driving the hemmet, humvees, 21/2 tons, i was a saw gunner m249 and a m-60 gunner,i got out right before the 240b was entering service. some of my fondest memories were of course all of the friends, no matter what are backgrounds were, blk, white hispanic ect we all pretty much got along, it was awesome being part of a team. my worst memory was wearing mop gear in 100 degree heat while digging an m-60 fighting position, and korean winter winds even though i was wearing all of the cold weather gear polypros and the gortex pants and jacket that wind would rip right to the bone, also jrtc mosquitos. but boy did i ever enjoy the air gunnery range, firing all kinds of weapons and the missions with the rok army special forces those guys were the baddest dudes ive ever seen, and getting to work on chinooks with the australian army at ft campbell, they were awesome soldiers and great people. i miss the military as well it was the best thing i could of ever done, i wouldnt have gotten out but due to medical issues i had to. flying on the chinooks was a blast, but what is so cool they always fly over my house, so in a way it seems like im still part of army. im still waiting for one to break down and land in my yard so that i could help them make repairs.

Bayer
05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I was in the Army from 1989 to 1992. I went in thinking I was going to be a cross between GI Joe and Rambo. I was young and immortal. Then I was injured...on duty. After that I was no longer immortal. Since then I'm not so young.

I saw Ranger School, Airborne, Air-Assault, Signal School, and a few other things. :)

I'd have loved to stay in but somethings are not within our control and I was medically discharged. :(

snipesfg17
05-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I just completed a 10 year active duty career in the US Army. I definitely think that my socialization as a child was influenced by GI Joe, Top Gun, and other war related movies and media. I got very interested in the Civil War and that also played a part in my choosing to serve.