PDA

View Full Version : Delays Delays!

Buckwheat826
07-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm sure this is the classic frustration. You think you've got a good script or story to throw to gether for a dio an you get yourself into a big project but don't want to shoot until you get all the materials, props, figures, etc. Like fro that one episode "Lights, Camera, Cobra.."

"Marty, get me real authentic smoke shifters! I won't shoot without them." And the reply, "Authenticity costs money."

No joke! I'm building per pay period. And this is just episode 1.

Patience right?

Violentfix
07-11-2005, 07:33 PM
See I do the oposite. Maybe I just work better under pressure, but I always back myself into a corner with a deadline and when the buzz starts, it's sleepless nights until it done, but when the smoke clears I'm almost always happy with what I've got.

From time to time that hasn't worked and a couple things would get cut here and there put it always works out. The first six shots of Chapter 2 were the last shots I took for the chapter and up until the moment I started puting the scene together I still didn't know exactly how I was going to do it.

I know this probably doesn't work right for everyone but one thing I truly believe in is taking advantage of motivation. When the moment hits, you've got to take it and ride.

Buckwheat826
07-12-2005, 08:38 AM
VF,

I hear ya man. If I've got the right elements, I can go all day. Matter of fact, I can recall last week spending the whole afternoon taking 4 shots, as well as being up all night making stuff, etc. I love it.

Also, I agree with improvision naturally. Not only do I almost always get inspired to do something different but usually get another new idea for future stuff. Not to mention the fact of stuff doesn't work out the way you planned or imagined.

Anyhows, what I was trying to get at before was the fact of cominig up with props and uniques sets gets expensive and time consuming as well as finding space to build and store stuff after its built.

I guess it's all about how to manage your project and staying within the means.

Next issue:
What about throwing together 3-4 elements together in one epsiode, ie. consisting of different acts. Example:

Episode 1
Act 1- Chaos and devestation strickens the world .
Act 2- Cobra dialogue between key players on Cobra Island
Act 3 - Meanwhile, briefing at the PIT
Act 4- Concentrated element between certain characters ( ie. Nunchuck seeks revenge on Firefly, Zartan hunted by Storm Shadow)
Act 5- Wrap ups and preview for next episode.

This is and can be done by what I've seen in some of you guys' stuff. I want to have each episode like a cartoon episode and comic issue. This obviously goes back to what I mentioned earlier about creating sets that look unique and detailed enough to support those elements. I guess I'm reaching a little outta control. It'd be cool if we could all hook up for like a Joe Vacation/Camp and do a monster Lucas style dio.

The final obstacle is trying to build a website. I know there are blog sites to host, but I'd like to ultimately develop my own site dedicated to Joe stuff...nice and neat like you guys'. I've never published a site before and have little experience doing pages, etc. Don't have Dreamweaver and will prob use GoLive. Sorry if this is dragging on, just thinking out loud.

Peace!

Violentfix
07-12-2005, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Buckwheat826]VF,

I hear ya man. If I've got the right elements, I can go all day. Matter of fact, I can recall last week spending the whole afternoon taking 4 shots, as well as being up all night making stuff, etc. I love it.

Also, I agree with improvision naturally. Not only do I almost always get inspired to do something different but usually get another new idea for future stuff. Not to mention the fact of stuff doesn't work out the way you planned or imagined.

Anyhows, what I was trying to get at before was the fact of cominig up with props and uniques sets gets expensive and time consuming as well as finding space to build and store stuff after its built.

I guess it's all about how to manage your project and staying within the means.

Next issue:
What about throwing together 3-4 elements together in one epsiode, ie. consisting of different acts. Example:

Episode 1
Act 1- Chaos and devestation strickens the world .
Act 2- Cobra dialogue between key players on Cobra Island
Act 3 - Meanwhile, briefing at the PIT
Act 4- Concentrated element between certain characters ( ie. Nunchuck seeks revenge on Firefly, Zartan hunted by Storm Shadow)
Act 5- Wrap ups and preview for next episode.

This is and can be done by what I've seen in some of you guys' stuff. I want to have each episode like a cartoon episode and comic issue. This obviously goes back to what I mentioned earlier about creating sets that look unique and detailed enough to support those elements. I guess I'm reaching a little outta control. It'd be cool if we could all hook up for like a Joe Vacation/Camp and do a monster Lucas style dio.

The final obstacle is trying to build a website. I know there are blog sites to host, but I'd like to ultimately develop my own site dedicated to Joe stuff...nice and neat like you guys'. I've never published a site before and have little experience doing pages, etc. Don't have Dreamweaver and will prob use GoLive. Sorry if this is dragging on, just thinking out loud.

Peace![/QUOTE]

I've been trying to make my Chapters more like comic books, where you get more of the story than just "Act 2- Cobra dialogue between key players on Cobra Island and I'll addmit that it is hard. It also tends to make the chapters longer but it's not impossible. I do understand the money thing. I've been feeling that pain for a while now an dis my chief concern for after the baby arrives.

When it comes to your own site, why not try a place liek Tripod, they give free sites and all you have to do it let them advertise with their banners at the top and bottom.

General Hawk
07-12-2005, 10:22 AM
See, this is one area where VF and I differ in our approach...there aren't many dio-related things we disagree on, but this is one of 'em. ;)

Personally, the more pressure I get under, the LESS motivated I get. I need to have some stuff "in the can" before I even get rolling, or else, I get all bitter about the pressure and psyche myself right out of working on it.

I can appreciate VF's desire to get things going once the pressure is on, though, especially given the end result of his terrific dio's.

Justin

Buckwheat826
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Obviously where the project goes depends solely upon me. I'll do what I can. Thanks guys. I'm anxious but don't want to rush either.

Buckwheat826
08-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Just an update:

Behind schedule. My computer went into a nasty virus-coma a few days ago and just had it revived yesterday by my bro-in-law (Thanks!) Needless to say my lazya$$ didn't make backups so after flushing the whole drive, I've lost all my work :( I was half finished and thought I had some pretty good shots. I look at in a new light to improve what I had originally. School starts this week so it may be a little while unfortunately. I really want to get this stuff out and get your feedback you I know what to improve on for hopefully the next one.

Thanks VF, General and all you guys for all of your comments and support. To be continued hopefully soon.

-B