PDA

View Full Version : The Thrill Of The Hunt

LordRaven
05-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Collecting anything has it's ups and downs. Look at poor Frank. And when I say poor, I mean spoiled ;-). He's got one of pretty much everything, and his hunt now focuses on the must uber rare figures. Me, on the other hand, have a mere handful and have much more hunting to do. Do you guys enjoy the hunting for a specific figure? Do you like making deals and trading with people? How does it make you feel? I found a list of figures I wanted from about a year ago, and I now have them all, I smiled, but felt a lil sad that the hunt for them was over.
I LOVE making a good deal with you guys on here. I like saying "DEAL!" when a trade is going to benefit both parties. I love the hunt on Ebay for one figure, or a vehicle. I know it gives me a rush to know that something I really want has been found and might be in the mail soon.

lehsreh
05-04-2007, 06:05 PM
[COLOR=Red]yeah, i love the rush of getting mail. usually i hate mail because its just bills, but when i have a figure or whatever coming i look forward to everything. i myself still have tons of hunting to do, i only had a handful of the joes from y childhood, no vehicles what so ever so i have to start from scratch. i still would not have one of everything, but i would have what i want of the figures i want. now having the backpacks and weapons are totally different, i dont think ill ever have what i want there. [/COLOR]

maxtype
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah Shane.....the HUNT really adds to the thrill of collecting............and then I have the Trophy............ :p

General Scarlett
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=maxtype]Yeah Shane.....the HUNT really adds to the thrill of collecting............and then I have the Trophy............ :p[/QUOTE]

Dude, you do know that this comment can be taken a couple of different ways, right??? hehehehe :p ;)

maxtype
05-04-2007, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=General Scarlett]Dude, you do know that this comment can be taken a couple of different ways, right??? hehehehe :p ;)[/QUOTE]

Well,I do now!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ender098
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah. It sucks to have a huge collection. I miss the thrill of getting new stuff I need. I have been trying to help some of you be as miserable by looking for stuff you're looking for, that gives me some pleasure! LOL! On the plus side, if I see something I like, I know where to go hunting! ;)

LOL!

Outrider
05-04-2007, 08:23 PM
The satisfaction of finally obtaining something you have had on your wish list for ages is one of the great things about being a collector of anything. Way back in the dark pre-internet days, I used to buy the local "Trading Post" newspaper which ran classifieds for everything, including toys. Back then a lot of Joe stuff was not released here, so I picked up heaps of cool stuff via this newspaper, even though it was always a struggle to be the first caller to the seller. One time I had browsed the toy section, and having found no Joes, was looking at cameras, only to amazingly come across a misplaced add for Joe stuff that I was after. Needless to say I rang the guy, and went over to his house and bought the lot, a whole stack of figures and vehicles from '84 and '85 that I needed, including a mint Flint figure which I had been after for ages. Whilst I was there, the seller said to me "I can't understand it , you were the only person to call." :D So thanks to some newspaper staff member having a bad day, I got lucky. Sometimes, you are just meant to have something!

ToneGunsRevisited
05-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Sometimes after the hunt finished I feel myself empty :confused: . The strangest thing is when you have the 1st of your wanted list on the mail, he is not on your hands yet and you are just looking for the next that became 1st :eek: .
I like the hunt, but I ask me what I'll do if someday I've all the ones I was hunting.

General Scarlett
05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=ToneGunsRevisited]I like the hunt, but I ask me what I'll do if someday I've all the ones I was hunting.[/QUOTE]

Tell me Luis, what'll you do when your done hunting???? :D :p

Urban Saboteur
05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
[FONT=Arial]Theres alot of thrill to be had when hunting.. when I started on the net.. it opened up a huge.. and I do mean huge world that I found mesmerizing.. I found Yojoe.com and all those joes to search for and buy.. and I know as long as the net is around.. I'll get round to owning those Joes I want.
I don't want them all.. the 83-94 figures I like.. probably when it gets past the 91 mark I'll probably pick and choose the figures.. if I do pick some neon I might repaint them. ;)
As for when I am done collecting.. I'll move onto customs.. LBC customs or variants.. and probably when I'm done doing those.. I'll then focus all my energy and every bit of it into recreating all those amazing adventures I had as a kid in dio format...
thats another thing that mesmerised me!
When I got my first D.C.. it opened up a secondary "away" world.. where I could recreate my own scenes with my own figures.. As a kid I always wanted this.. always.. and every waking day now... I'm that much closer to happyness.. :D
So when I'm done collecting.. I'll begin creating.. and carry on creating until I've realised all my adventures spring to life in dio's [/FONT] :cool:
Rich

lehsreh
05-07-2007, 07:28 AM
[COLOR=Red]i dont see my hunt ever ending since i spend only 30 or so dollers every few months or s. even if i got all the joes, id still want a lot of star wars to add as cobra la forces, and some inhumanoids too.[/COLOR]

blackgrifter
05-07-2007, 07:55 AM
I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy going to a garage sale or flea market, and finding a figure i wanted for the price i want.

yorktownjoe
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
There are psychological discussions of collectors and the hormones released in the brain that explain some of the feelings described in this thread.

One thing we could all use a little more of is: Contentment!

That is an elusive quality. I have not mastered it.

But sometimes it is good to enjoy the blessings we have instead of focusing on the rush that the hunt provides. It lingers for a while, but then is gone. For reference, see the country song, "Stuff."

STUFF (STUFF) STACK IT ON STACK IT ON UP
(STUFF) NEVER GONNA EVER GET ENOUGH (STUFF)
OH IT'S TREASURE TILL IT'S MINE THEN IT AIN'T WORTH A DIME
IT'S STUFF (STUFF) SPREADING LIKE WEEDS
DRAGGING ME UNDER IN AN ENDLESS SEA OF STUFF
(STUFF) THERE AIN'T NO END
GOT TO GET A BIGGER PLACE SO I CAN MOVE IN
MORE STUFF

:eek:

So after reading this post, stop for a minute and think of the blessings you have, and take a moment (even just one minute) to be grateful, thankful, and , if possible, contented. We are truly bblessed!

Hard to do, isn't it?

Gatilho
05-08-2007, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=yorktownjoe]
So after reading this post, stop for a minute and think of the blessings you have, and take a moment (even just one minute) to be grateful, thankful, and , if possible, contented. We are truly bblessed!

Hard to do, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Good point man! Never forget to be grateful![/size]
[size=1][/size]
[size=1]Another good thing when a collector is searching for something is find another collector :D[/size]
[size=1][/size]
[size=1]Some years ago I really thought that I wouldn't find another collectors in Brazil but I was wrong and now I know that there's a lot of collectors in Brazil too looking for G.I. Joe / Comandos em Ação action figures.[/size]

[size=1]I don't have much money to spend in my collection so the thing is increasing slowly which is not a bad thing at all because I can remember when or how I got each figure. Coincidentally few days ago I was talking to my friend saying that one of the coolest things that happens with me sometimes is come back home and find a box with some g.i. joe figures! I feel like a child! :D[/size]
[size=1][/size]
[size=1]Good that my wish list is giant and will take a long long time to finish![/size]
[size=2][/size]