PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife?!?!

G.I.*Jock
05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
So there I was, in a nice rural quiet spot walking with a big box of Joe's to photograph!

On my way to the spot I like, I saw lots of animals! One that shocked me a lot... But he'll be mentioned last!

On the way I saw numerous buzzards. These guys are everywhere here and are really thriving! Which is great because I love seeing big birds around the place... Talking of big birds I also a heron flying by!

But the last thing I saw, which was a fluke... really pleased me!

I was walking down by the water, with the bridge from the Bridgelayer looking for a nice spot for a picture... I couldn't find one... anyway... I was looking in the field next to the water when something brown caught my eye, Well reddy-brown, almost a shade of orange in the sunlight, it looked like a dog... but it couldn't be so far from anywhere! It was a fox! merely 10 metres away, if not closer! I've never saw one so close in the daylight and it was amazing. It just sat there enjoying the rays! Sadly I left my camera with my Joe's some distance away... but I did have my mobile phone! So I caught footage of the fox on video! Not brilliant, but you could see it! When I went to get the camera I must have scared the fox and it bolted! :(

Anyway, all that has me wondering... Have any of you fellow Joe fans ever encountered any surprising wildlife while on a shoot?

Dave :D

Ruki Ren93
05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Besides my dog in my backyard, not really...
:p

Urban Saboteur
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
[FONT=Arial]any chance you could upload the video to photobucket and share with us? :confused:
I'd like to see the video even if it isn't that good/sketchy.. I was quite amazed when you told me on MSN about this.. and then we got onto talking about ecology and planets.. which amazed you even more.. :o
As for you liking the sight of big birds.. I'd thank you to leave your taste in womens away from our joe area :D Loool. JK mate. [/FONT] :p
Rich

bigtattoo
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
thats a lovely wee story mate.
How far out from the 'Burgh were you?
I saw several foxes in the 9 years I lived in the city- mainly finishing a nightshift, or starting an early, never saw one in broad daylight.
It always made my day to see them.

viper416
05-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I once thought I saw big foot but then i realized it was just my unlce with his shirt off. :confused:

Fantom
05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I wasn't on a shoot, but I was out camping at one of my favorite spots, and me and a couple of my buddies were riding our quads on some trails and we rounded a corner and flying across the trail ahead of us was a Bald Eagle. I kid you not. It was flying level with us, not high up like you would think. This thing's wingspan had to be at least 8 ft. It was so fast, but there was no mistaking the white head and brown body. Thats about the coolest 'wild life' I've seen up close. I swear, this thing could carry off a person if it wanted to :cool:

Blowtorch
05-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Some of the photos I've done when I lived in FL I've managed to see things like deer, lizards, armadilos, foxes, gators and snakes...these are just off the top of my head. It's pretty cool to sneak up on them and get a picture.

Sonneilon
05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I've run into bears, marmots, cougars and f'n coyotes on my shoots. Believe it or not, we had a bear walking along the trail behind my parents' house while I was outside shooting pictures. Freaked a lot of us out.

Outrider
05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, not too unusual where I live, but I don't imagine too many other Joedios contributors have had to avoid kangaroos on a location shoot. Despite their docile appearance, they can eviscerate you with one swift kick of those hind legs. On the way to work one morning (I leave for work before dawn, which is when kangaroos are active looking for food) the car in front of me hit one that jumped out onto the road. The driver was okay, but the car was totalled. After a few moments, the kangaroo got up and hopped away! :eek:

Fantom
05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE=Outrider]Well, not too unusual where I live, but I don't imagine too many other Joedios contributors have had to avoid kangaroos on a location shoot. Despite their docile appearance, they can eviscerate you with one swift kick of those hind legs. On the way to work one morning (I leave for work before dawn, which is when kangaroos are active looking for food) the car in front of me hit one that jumped out onto the road. The driver was okay, but the car was totalled. After a few moments, the kangaroo got up and hopped away! :eek:[/QUOTE]

I imagine Kangaroos are as common for you in Australia as Deer are here in Oregon. Were you exagerating about them being able to eviscerate a person with their hind legs?? Thats not something you see every day...

General Scarlett
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
I grew up with a grandfather who was a hunter and fisherman. Taught me how to cast a line AND place a bullet under the left front leg of a deer before I was 10. I used to bullseye groundhogs at our farm in Upstate NY as a young girl.

We'd see deer all the time.......and fish in the ocean.......OH MAN!! I've grown up with an appreciation for wildlife that's for sure........

Every winter now (and for the past 7-8 years), without fail, the backyard at my house (yes, the same one where you've seen my 'Aux. Airfield' and the 'Mountain Rescue'), gets overrun with-and I'm not kidding-at least 60 deer....sometimes more. We live at the base of a mountain, and at the top is a very flourishing apple orchard (again, if you remember my pic from 'Theme Week' where I showed the lake-that's up at the top of the mountain behind my house)

And once, years ago........I spotted a Red Fox in the woods behind the house.......just before winter.....unfortunately in the spring I found him under one of the wood sheds........but my gramp told me to grab him and pull him out. I held him up by the tail and he snapped a pic with the Polaroid...........

ToneGunsRevisited
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Craig,

Tell them about the croc incidents every week in Australia :eek: . Ok, it's wide spread that Brazil have a big variety of wildlife. On my walks I don't found just waterfalls and rivers, but I could find some really BIG spiders as you can notice by the picture (I could not find anything around to get a scale idea but this thing was bigger than 2 hands and i'd to use zoom to get that close)!!! :eek:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/2846/200411272nq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I found some armadillos, little monkeys, a type of monkey called Bugio that is around 1,10m taller, but he doesn't come close of humans most of the time. Some very rude ants (they were very big and red). Wildcat once at night, when we were coming home :). We just saw the eyes shining when we pointed the flashlight on their direction. But the strangest that I could come across was a dead hawk. I don't know what killed it, but he was big, but unfortunelly dead. I could keep talkin' about others like owls and some really beauty birds, but I'm not that one who knows name of every animal.

General Scarlett
05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
[SIZE=6]EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

DAMN YOU!!!!! That thing 'jumped' onto my screen and
nearly gave me a F*****G heart attack!!!!

[SIZE=5]EW....EW....EW....EW...EW...EWWWWWWW!!!!!!![/SIZE]

BASTICHE!!!!!!

Outrider
05-04-2007, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=Fantom]I imagine Kangaroos are as common for you in Australia as Deer are here in Oregon. Were you exagerating about them being able to eviscerate a person with their hind legs?? Thats not something you see every day...[/QUOTE]

No exageration, that was deadly serious. If kangaroos feel threatened, they rock back onto their tail and lash out with both hind legs at once, and those hind legs are extremely strong, and have sharp claws. Many people have walked up to kangaroos thinking they are harmless, only to have their abdomen ripped open before they even knew what was happening. Check this out:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~ct253704/files/humor/1animals/kangaroo%20attack.jpg

In about 1 second, those back legs will come up and that chick is a goner.

And as for the crocodiles Luis mentioned, thankfully they are at the other end of the country from me, but there are reports of deaths due to crocodiles here almost every week.

General Scarlett
05-04-2007, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=Outrider]No exageration, that was deadly serious. If kangaroos feel threatened, they rock back onto their tail and lash out with both hind legs at once, and those hind legs are extremely strong, and have sharp claws. Many people have walked up to kangaroos thinking they are harmless, only to have their abdomen ripped open before they even knew what was happening. [/QUOTE]

See?? THAT'S why you never assume that just because something's all 'cute and adorable' that it's defenseless!!! It's always the cute and quiet one's that you have to watch out for!!! ;)

ToneGunsRevisited
05-04-2007, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=General Scarlett]See?? THAT'S why you never assume that just because something's all 'cute and adorable' that it's defenseless!!! It's always the cute and quiet one's that you have to watch out for!!! ;)[/QUOTE]
Definilly this was a waring! ;)