PDA

View Full Version : The Comic Box #16!!!

General Scarlett
04-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

#16. Night Attack!

~Short Summary~
The US forces are protecting the Capitol building in Washington DC, when Cobra's actual target is the US Treasury. As the battle rages at the Treasury with GI Joe, the Baroness crashes her HISS tank to avoid Major Bludd shooting Destro. Her tank explodes with her in it. Hawk is shot in the back by Cobra Commander.

~Notes of Interest~
First Appearance: Cover Girl, Tripwire
The Baroness is blown up in her HISS tank saving Destro.
Hawk is shot in back by Cobra Commander.
-summary from yojoe.com-

http://yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe16.shtml

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/PrncsLeia/DSC01610_edited.jpg
-image from yojoe.com-

Discuss away!

General Scarlett
04-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi guys....

Sorry about the delay this week..........I've been tipsy with crazy between the flooded out basement and going on job interviews.

But here it is.......better late than never........ ;) :)

Sonneilon
04-19-2007, 07:43 PM
I had #1 and then skipped all the way to #16 back in the day. I was able to get GI Joe monthly from the 7-11 down the street. This was a GREAT issue. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that it was my 1st issue and getting reintroduced to GI Joe. I loved the issue. Unfortunately, I'd miss #17 but I got back on track w/ #18 all the way thru the Cobra War.

I loved this issue cuz Torpedo shows up, it has a great intro, Hawk gets shot, there's weird stuff going on in Cobra and and and and... FOr me, this was an EXCELLENT issue and for me, THIS was GI Joe. Made me want the Wolverine so baaaaaaad.

Outrider
04-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Because I didn't read the issues from this era until after I had read from the mid 60's through to the late 80's or early 90's issues, on first read I thought the stories were a little simplistic. But looking back now, I can see how Hama was sowing the seeds for all the twists that were to follow. I often wonder how far ahead he was with the story in his mind when he wrote these early issues.

Self-Modifier
04-20-2007, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=Outrider]I often wonder how far ahead he was with the story in his mind when he wrote these early issues.[/QUOTE]

I've actually read more than a few interviews with the man where he's said that he made it up as he went along, often not even knowing how an issue would end when he started writing it. Which, in my opinion, makes the whole run all the more impressive!

Sonneilon
04-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Plus, with Hasbro breathing down his neck, it's not like Hama COULD forcast stories that far ahead. Maybe that bonk to Hawk's head is what led him to being the nutzoid he is now!

maxtype
04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Excellent ish. Intro for Cover Girl(YAY!!!)and Tripwire......plus a totally AWESOME!!!! Battle in DC!

It was cool how the Joe's hid the Wolverine in the garbage truck......and the ARBCO HISS tank transports were great as well!

Intrigue:Cobra Commander betrays Destro.....Dr.Venom betrays Cobra...........The Baroness seemingly sacrifices herself to save Destro...........

Humor-"The cavalry is here!"...."That don't play on my reservation.".....and Cobra's teeny-tiny paratroopers................ ;)
One of my favorites!