PDA

View Full Version : I'm Taking a Census.......Please Weigh In on this.....

General Scarlett
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I've got a question that I'd like to pose to the forum..........

I love all the pics, let's throw that out right off.......and I love to see various angles and such. Also, if story is being played out, then by all means-post!!

But what personally I'm not hip to is when people post up 20 pics at once and essentially it's 3 or 4 (or more) of the same shot for some of them.

I know that when I post up, I try to tell a story in progressive order. Or even a couple of 'one shots', but not the same thing again and again........

Take for instance, Flint and I are sitting on the next set of our pics.......we took them almost 2 weeks ago..........we haven't posted yet due to various obligations (he's expecting his first child in a couple of weeks and I'm in a new relationship-among other things), but if we had posted last night like we were planning on..........our pics would have been TOTALLY buried!!!!

What's the policy on this?? Is there even one?? I don't want to blow anybody's 'high', but if there's a repetitive pic thing going on, does anyone have any objections to having some 'copies' deleted???

Please let me know what your feelings are...........and don't worry about offending, I just really am trying to get a feel for this topic.............

Thanks guys!!! :)

Stormer
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I know exactly where you're coming from, both in the redundancy of loads of near-identical shots from a viewer's perspective and from the fellow photo-poster's fear of being "buried."

I see JoeDios as the place I'll showcase my best (or at least, my favourite...) work, so I can be part of the high quality that's been kept from the beginning and also so I can get feedback from all the cool people here. To that end, I'll usually keep my posts to around 3 pics at a time, give or take.

When I've had a major photoshoot session and there are extra pics that I think are still interesting (like different angles showing a certain thing well) I'll put them in my Flickr account -- I see that as my "DVD Bonus Features" location whereas JoeDios "Disc 1..."

Also, as I did with my Cobra Vs Iron Grenadiers shots a couple months back, you can host pics on a free account like Flickr or Photobucket then show them in a comment using the HTML script those sites provide -- this lets you display as many related pics as you want without flooding the gallery.

Outrider
04-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm with you all the way on this one Scarlett. I don't see a problem if, as you said, the pics are all different and tell a mini story, but when they are all almost identical, then it is annoying. There have been instances where people have posted two or three pages worth of very similar photos in one massive hit. If they thought about it they'd realize that they are their own worst enemies; no-one is going to view and comment on 20 or more pics that all look the same. For someone on dial-up like me, that would take forever. Perhaps there should be something written into the rules & regs about a limit on the number of similar photos uploaded on one day. Anything over the limit is deleted at the discretion of the admin. The only problem may be in defining "similar".

gung ho
04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
i agree with all of you on this one just people posting one pic after another that look alike is stupid

yorktownjoe
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I remember posting a few pics and then having them buried a few weeks ago. It was fine, I had a few comments, so that was cool. But I was thinking, what if I had been posting 5 individual shots to tell a short story and then my "story" was separated or interposed with someone else dropping a lot at the same time. I agree with those who have commented already. I may take 20-30 pics and post 2 or 5. If something is not quite right or what I deem as worth sharing, they get deleted and are gone.

When I come to the site, I usually check the forum first, then go over to latest photos and try to find the last picture I remember from my previous visit and move toward current time.

Of course if there is a new dio, that comes first of all! But please keep up the good work everyone!! I don't want to frustrate any one away.

On a tangent, but somewhat related topic, someone was kind to let me know after I posted my very first pic in the dios section that the photos section was separate and how to select the right selection. I have tried to pay that forward to new members, as this is just a pet peeve to some and annoyance to others. Someone was kind to me, and I stuck around. So I try to do that for others instead of blasting them away.

Courtesy and tact are surely diplomatic qualities that can help each of of us in ALL of our interpersonal interactions, not simply in our online community.

Jay
04-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I agree.
If it's a wide shot and you want to go in for closer details, it'd be fine to see three or four pics of the same shot... but when it goes over those numbers it gets kinda redundant.

Urban Saboteur
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
[FONT=Arial]I think the nail was hit right on the head.. whilst the majority agree that they don't want to see repeated similar pictures.. As outrider rightly said how do you define similar?
The rule itself would probably be a total grey area.

The best way would be to enforce a rule whereby each member would be allowed say? 5 photos on the individual photo section per day.. this would restrict seeing the same contributor day in and day out.. and whilst this wouldnt be good to restrict people from posting it would also free up room in the gallery.

I'm with Stormer on this.. my usual decisions are based on my best hitting the gallery.. and in the past mine have been smothered [sometimes] and this is frustrating. I usually post between 1-4 pictures.

Urban Saboteur[/FONT]

Apparition
04-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Perhaps I should mind my toungue as I have only posted a couple of photos, but it is a little annoying to log on and have to wade through a whole stack of pictures that look basically the same.

Fantom
04-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Looks like we are all in agreement with you on this topic General. I don't mind seeing 4 or 5 pics from the same person, even if they are of the same scene but from different interesting angles, but yeah, it is annoying to see 10 pics of the same thing, especially if they are not in focus.