PDA

View Full Version : Huge Collections

Uncle Flint
04-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I've been a member here for quite awhile, but i do a lot more looking than posting so most of you guys don't really know me, but I've got a question. I'm not being critical, just curious. I've seen a lot of photos of huge figure collections lately on here. I understand the huge figure collections. I have a collection myself that's kind of gotten out of hand. But I've never felt like I need to take a photo of my entire collection and post it. Posed shots are great but pictures of figures on shelves don't do anything for me. Am I alone in this? My other question is that I've seen some photos of seriously huge collections of one figure. What is it that posses a guy to buy 200 cobra troopers, or 300 crimson guard, or 500 Star Wars whatevers. I try to buy one of every figure for my collection, and I buy multiples of cobra figures to use in photos, but I don't own more than twelve of any figure. I am alone is this too? I would like to hear everybody's thoughts on this.

Fantom
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Personally I like to see how others store or display their collections. It gives me ideas and it is also a way of discovering display accessories that a person may not have known about (such as Flex Display stands that a few people were interested in).

As for large army's of same figs, I agree with you for the most part. It is cool to see but personally 3 or 4 of the same trooper is enough for me. But everyone is different and has different priorities so if they have the time and money to put together large army's then more power to them.

ToneGunsRevisited
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I really don't feel the need, or have money enough to buy more than 4 from troopers that I like. Example 4 CLAWS 2002, or 4 EELs. My Iron Grenadiers run out of control I've a bunch of 5 of them :p.

I don't see a big problem of someone buying hundreds of the same guy. The problem to me, for example, is that I'm hunting a Horror Show from comic pack. And I get really pissed off when someone buy 3 or 4 of them to stay with one and re-sale it to rip someone off.

But even having money to 100 of the same troop, I would not do it. I know that some other colectors could like to buy them too. Or at least I would sell 2 or more to help people, but for the same price, don't getting any profit from it.

But see that amount of Clone Troopers isn't a bad vision at all, it could be better if they were here :D.

ender098
04-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I like to keep my Armies at squad level 8-10. With Vipers and blueshirts, I push it to Platoon (30). Yeah, technically I could use one figure and photoshop him in, but I like the look of a full squad of soldiers attacking....

maxtype
04-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I have a platoon of 30 Viper Pit Viper's................... :D

bravo
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=ToneGunsRevisited]I really don't feel the need, or have money enough to buy more than 4 from troopers that I like. Example 4 CLAWS 2002, or 4 EELs. My Iron Grenadiers run out of control I've a bunch of 5 of them :p.

I don't see a big problem of someone buying hundreds of the same guy. The problem to me, for example, is that I'm hunting a Horror Show from comic pack. And I get really pissed off when someone buy 3 or 4 of them to stay with one and re-sale it to rip someone off.

But even having money to 100 of the same troop, I would not do it. I know that some other colectors could like to buy them too. Or at least I would sell 2 or more to help people, but for the same price, don't getting any profit from it.

But see that amount of Clone Troopers isn't a bad vision at all, it could be better if they were here :D.[/QUOTE]

you know you are not alone in this.i see people buy 6 to 7 of them and then thay sell it on ebay 10 times more then what thay got it for

General Scarlett
04-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I never got into the 'mass army' thing with collecting........mostly because I couldn't afford it. Now I wouldn't mind having like 1 or 2 dozen Cobra soldiers (and by that I mean the Vipers really, but any would be cool) or 'greenshirts', but the 'en masse' thing, I don't know, maybe it's a 'guy' thing to have tons and tons........

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see. But it's not the 'size', it's what you 'do with it'........... ;) :D

General Jones
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Well Fantom, if the manager would get back to my apartment and fix the wall, I could take a picture of my Joe displays, but the guy hasn't been back for a month despite our calls.:mad: Maybe in May.

General Jones
04-17-2007, 04:19 PM
I also agree with you Flint. I just collect one of each figure for display purposes and I usually only have enough money for one or maybe two of any type of viper or army builder. Not dissing on collectors like ender because frankly you do have a sweet setup. More power to you.

Urban Saboteur
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
[FONT=Arial]I can hopefully break down the threadstarters points..

I'm thinking with the whole 100 troopers on a shelve thing isn't quite classed as diorama shots even in the essence of a story or a single shot.. so I can see where your coming from. I prefer to use single shots or group shots on shelves or plain backgrounds and use the term "gallerying" dunno if this is a word or not.. but the figures always seem to be formed in a style of a gallery/collection rather than a story shot.. which is really I think the point of your original post.

Moving onto the second bit. I do have a decent sized collection but on count I don't have more than 20 of one trooper. I have 4 Crimson Guards, 10 V1 Alley Vipers and 16 V1 Iron Grenadiers.
I dont ever see the day I will have row upon row of say 100 cobra troopers.. why? I just don't think I will ever use them.. but then as already pointed out.. some people like building armies and thats all that is..

As for commenting on pictures of this ilk, yes they are impressive but once you've seen one army builder picture the novelty does kind of ware off after a bit.. I tend to comment more on the creative kinds of pictures and ones with a cinema/story style setting with "something going on".. I favour towards this style because this is my preference.

I'd also like to say "good call" to Uncle Flint for a good topic ;)
Urban Saboteur.[/FONT]

lehsreh
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
[COLOR=Red]you know at first i never though it a good idea to buy more then 1 figure, but that was before dos and photos of course. i think 5 of any is good enough for me, although i still havent gotten to that yet, still tryign to rebuild my collection from my childhood and at least get all of my faves before really worrying about army building.[/COLOR]

Red Sox
04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=Fantom]Personally I like to see how others store or display their collections. It gives me ideas and it is also a way of discovering display accessories that a person may not have known about (such as Flex Display stands that a few people were interested in).

As for large army's of same figs, I agree with you for the most part. It is cool to see but personally 3 or 4 of the same trooper is enough for me. But everyone is different and has different priorities so if they have the time and money to put together large army's then more power to them.[/QUOTE]
I agree I also like seeing how others display their stuff. What are these Flex Dispay stands you speak of?

joefan21
04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I get at least 1 of each figure.
but I have to save room for army builders in the future ;)