PDA

View Full Version : Army Building NON Army Builders?

ender098
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Has anyone here thought about building an army of figures that aren't technically "Army Builders"? Like Colored Shockwave has his Army of Shockwaves.....does anyone else do that? I have always wanted to army build airborne troops like Ripcord and CrazyLegs, or even Army Build Hit-N-Run, but I've always been too busy army building Vipers and the like!

phu
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Actually, I'm doing a little bit of that with the 2003 Torpedo; he makes a great generic spec ops type. Thought of doing the same thing with Footloose, minus the goofy hat. :D

yorktownjoe
03-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I think Eric and I had this discussion when I posted a Spy troops SnakeEyes body with a VvV Duke head. This is a variation as instead of armybuilding, it would be uniform building with each guy with his own distinct personality/headsculpt.

And there are a few heads/bodies that work for this type of troop/small squad building. Put a v1 DialTone head on a v1 Falcon body and you have a Special forces officer reminiscent of modern day looking Bernie Montgomery (IMO).

I have 4 or 5 Footloose v1 guys and they look good all in a line or moving in a team fashion toward a helo. If you see them all from the front, it looks like "the Clone wars have begun."

night creeper
03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm going to save up a bunch of money for the awesome cobra troops that are part of the 25th anniversary, so I will now build on to my army.

I am ordering a comic pack firefly off ebay, so no one worry about my griping for army builders!!! :D :p

ender098
03-19-2007, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=night creeper]I'm going to save up a bunch of money for the awesome cobra troops that are part of the 25th anniversary, so I will now build on to my army.

I am ordering a comic pack firefly off ebay, so no one worry about my griping for army builders!!! :D :p[/QUOTE]

You did read where those (the 25th anniversary figures)are going to be 4.25" tall right?

lehsreh
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]You did read where those (the 25th anniversary figures)are going to be 4.25" tall right?[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Red]

ive herd that before. is that for sure, because half a inch is a big difference for a joe. if they are ill probably just get destro, gung ho and roadblock. they need to be bigger[/COLOR]

Red Sox
03-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I have an army of VvV Gung Ho's. Of course it's only because he came with the Vipers. :rolleyes:

ToneGunsRevisited
03-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Low Light v1 body. It's a perfect example, to me, about spec ops uniform. I would swamp some heads. But for infantry, jungle spec ops my call would be Falcon v1.

Lava Boss
03-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Like some other fans, 2002 Mirage and Big Bens...not planned, but I actually got to the point where I enjoyed armies of them. Big Ben's work as generic guys, them all ammo belts is a bit strange. But the original real Big Ben had brown hair, these guys black...made it easier. Mirage was a bit harder, my guess the Joe rookies idolize Duke or Hawk enough to look like him. I also have a few Road Rebel Big Bens, which is an underpainted, but nice kitbash armor crewman.

A few other extras...none really make decent armies.

I used to find Shockwave V2 on clearance back in the 1990's, had a few of him. Never really thought to swap heads.

G.I.*Jock
03-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I army build Steel Brigade figures and the dentist like VVV Mindbender.

I also try to nab Cutter's and Shipwrecks for Headswaps so I can stick them on the Flagg as crew! :D

Jay
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
At one point I wanted to army build the Funskool Psyche-Out and use it as Cobra tacticians, but after getting one I put it on hold while I army built other figures (and added more individuals to the collection) and I still only have one... maybe somewhere down the line I may be able to get two or three more...

night creeper
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]You did read where those (the 25th anniversary figures)are going to be 4.25" tall right?[/QUOTE]

oh god, you've got to be kidding!!

Jay
03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=night creeper]oh god, you've got to be kidding!![/QUOTE]
He's dead serious.

Sonneilon
03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
ahem... hello? I had upwards of 12 peasoup green Beach Heads that acted as my Greenshirts!!! I don't know what the # is now since I seem to keep on finding more around the house.

Fantom
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM

Where did you read that they would be 4.25" tall? The latest report I read on TNI states they will be 3 3/4":

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=10970

Sonneilon
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
The sizes will vary. I believe Roadblock will be 4.25" to recognize that he's a big mofo. Scar should be UNDER 3.75" since she's, uh female. We'll see in the end.

ender098
03-26-2007, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]The sizes will vary. I believe Roadblock will be 4.25" to recognize that he's a big mofo. Scar should be UNDER 3.75" since she's, uh female. We'll see in the end.[/QUOTE]

I could deal with that! I'd love to see a HUGE roadblock, but if Cobra Commander is Darth Vader sized, too! SCrew that! They can keep them!