PDA

View Full Version : classic joes or new sculpts

nando
03-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey people i have a question , do u really like the new sculpts ARAH , VvV , 25 , or the classic ones are better , because in my country everyone hates the new sculpt s , but i dont i like them well some of them i like to think that they are the present day ( well for my flash backs i have the 80s versions ) ... ;)

nando
03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
do u play that way too , well check spirit v1 and the ARAH version ( he looks in his 40s ) ,

ender098
03-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Hmmm, I think it's a matter of the figure. I was really cold toward the new sculpts when they first came out. But some are good. Blowtorch V2, Roadblock (VvsV) Recondo (from Desert Coyote). And some old school figures are good. Flacon V1, dialtone, tunnelrat.

Then again some figures suck! CoverGirl V1, Psychout V1, (most of the battlecorps figuresIMHO! ) Captain GridIron, charbroil (BIG HEAD!!)

and the new sculpts; Falcon (Mr. Moonboots!) Baroness (ms. Butch) Duke from the 2001 sets (Can you say 3 3/4 version of "army Men" BLAH!)

Jay
03-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Personally, I go with old sculpt in favor of new sculpt. Why?
First of all, proportions. Some people may be against the "standard buck" height of ARAH Joes, but it avoided problems evidenced in new sculpt figures, like Tunnel Rat being a giant and Duke (VvV mold) being a frikkin' midget. Not to mention the proportional issues of figures like Red Spot and Flint.
Second off, you just have a lot more characters. The original Joe line ran from 1982 to 1994 and again enjoyed exclusive life from 1997 to 2001. Even today ARAH figures are still made in comic packs and 6-packs. Meanwhile, new sculpt figures have only existed for about four years. There just haven't been as many characters covered, especially since a lot of the product seems to be just repaints (from 86 to 94 the original Viper got repainted 3 times. From 2003 to 2006, the newer Viper got repainted four times), along with endless versions of Duke, Snake-Eyes and Cobra Commander. Plus, I'll take Sci-Fi and Doc over Red Spot and Link Talbot any day.
Third off, from a customizer's point of view, it's a lot more convenient. Since the proportions were always constant, you never really had to worry about gorilla arms or stubby torsos on customs. Even using parts from taller figures like Sgt. Slaughter or Road Pig didn't look too disproportionate. The same can't be said about new sculpt figures.

So, yeah. Old sculpt gets my vote all the way.

phu
03-09-2007, 11:45 PM
New sculpt all the way.

My obsession is molding and casting -- so while you can certainly cast replacements for the oldschool rivets (the ripoff artists at gtg proved that), I like the fact that the new ones don't depend on metal outside of the t-hook.

I can certainly appreciate the realism that the oldschool uniformity brings... but I also enjoy the embellishment that having exaggerated torsos and parts of varying sizes gives to customizers.

lehsreh
03-10-2007, 05:59 AM
[COLOR=Red]old all the way here too. as jay said, the size stays constant, so if you want to customize its a lot easier. add more characters, just the actual look of them is better and if nothgnelse, because there what i grew up with. i really hated the new sculp at first, now there ok, but will never be as pleasing to me as the older joes.[/COLOR]

Stormer
03-10-2007, 06:07 AM
I think I like the sturdiness and less-cartoony look of the RAH figures but really I've got no clear preference. If I like a character and the general design I don't really care what sculpt style it has -- my pics here show a mixture of old & new, often alongside each other.

I may have to draw a line if the anniversary figures are blatantly huge next to everyone else, though.