PDA

View Full Version : Comic Box #10!!!

Sonneilon
03-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Welcome to The Comic Box. This is a discussion thread for the GI Joe comics. We start at Marvel’s #1 and move thru the series every Wednesday. It’s a chance to give your thoughts, opinions and remarks about the comic in question.

#10. A Nice Little Town Like Ours

Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, and Zap are captured by the Baroness and brought to Springfield, Cobra's headquarters. There Snake-Eyes is subjected to the brainwave scanner that is run by Dr. Venom. Snake-Eyes past is revealed to Dr. Venom in his search for the GI Joe base. Scarlett and Zap are in a prison cell with a little boy, who helps them escape. They collect Snake-Eyes and escape from the town, the boy elects to stay behind.
-summary from yojoe.com-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Sonneilon/Misc/Joe010.jpg
-image from yojoe.com-

Discuss away!

General Scarlett
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
This issue was cool because it was the first time we got to see 'Springfield, A Nice Little Town'

To this day, whenever I go through some sort of non-descript area, I'll look around and say 'What a nice little town'. Depending on who's in the car with me, they 'get it'......just a random thought.....

To me this issue showed that while Cobra might not 'win' the battle, they certainly knew how to 'ingrain' themselves and it showed that while Cobra Commander might act like a buffoon, he had some smarts going on........

Self-Modifier
03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I consider the previous nine issues to be a prologue of sorts, because this issue is when G.I. Joe really gets started. From here on, it becomes a serialized adventure title, with one issue often leading into the next. Granted, this is a stand-alone issue, but just look at what it introduces us to: Dr. Venom! Springfield! Snake-Eyes's past! Billy! The appearances of so many concepts that would quickly become staples of the ongoing storyline make this one of my favorite early issues.

This issue is also notable for being the final installment before the team was supplemented by the 1983 wave of characters.

Lava Boss
03-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Having lived in a few small towns, being an outsider, Springfield was and is quite believable. No one ever tried to kill me, but sometimes you get the impression they'd like to.

What is up with the big high altitude hovercraft? Fans are quick to criticize Hasbro's goofier creations, but this was straight from Hama. Pretty strange. And we have the also sci-fi brainwave scanner, which would later be heavily overused.

Not that it was a bad issue. The weird hallucinations, the creepy Springfield, Dr. Venom...some good elements.

That funeral of Snake-Eyes' memory had four coffins. His mother, father and sister...but who was the fourth person? Of course, that could be a different funeral.

Also, Snake-Eyes was present at the fall of Siagon? We knew he served in 'Nam, but that's never been mentioned again.

Also, Cobra Commander apparently has no idea who Snake-Eyes really is, or he would've arranged much worse than the brainwave scanner. (of course the obvious answer is that the connection between the two was thought up much later).

I'd rate it 7/10.