PDA

View Full Version : 80's cartoons

lehsreh
03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
[COLOR=Red]i was reading the lets get to know one another thread and i started thinking. we all seem to have more in common then just joes. i thought it would be cool to list some of our fave cartoons from the 80's and early 90's. i myself have been trying to download every old 80 cartoon i could find, ive built up a pretty good collection. [/COLOR]

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Alright, here's my list. I probably will forget a few, so bear with me....

Well, let's ASSUME that G.I. Joe is a given with the majority of us.......

From there.....in no particular order....

1) He-Man
2) Smurfs
3) Scooby Doo
4) Hong Kong Phooey
5) Jem
6) She-Ra
7) Josie & the Pussycats
8) Super Friends
9) Superman
10) Tom & Jerry
11) Johnny Quest
12) Fat Albert
13) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
14) Transformers
15) G-Force (or B.O.T.P.)
16) Voltron
17) Thundercats
18) Animaniacs
19) Anything Disney......
20) ..............

Awww hell, I can't remember anymore right now.......NEXT!!!

Self-Modifier
03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Growing up, at various stages in my childhood and teens, I watched: Super Friends, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra (but only when someone from He-Man was guest-starring), ThunderCats, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, DuckTales, Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Beast Wars, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

When I was in college, Toonami started on Cartoon Network, and I caught Robotech, which I'd never seen when I was younger. After that, I gave anything on Toonami a chance, and discovered anime, including Dragonball Z (and its precursor, Dragonball), Gundam Wing (which led me to the real Gundam series), The Big-O, Cowboy Bebop, and Lupin the Third.

And then even more recently there was Justice League, not just one of my favorite cartoons of all, but one of my favorite TV shows of all, period! Though the same thing can be said, even more vehemently, about Batman: The Animated Series, which I named above. I love that show. I also watched some Teen Titans around the same time, but it couldn't hold a candle to JL.

I guess I got carried away, since this is just supposed to be about 80s/90s cartoons, but I love animation, and I've just never stopped watching it (and probably never will!).

night creeper
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM
xmen
spiderman
a whole $#it load of mtv

Stormer
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I used to make it my mission to buy old videocassettes of cartoon shows I'd watched from the 80s/90s and am trying to get DVDs now, but it's a little more expensive since they keep coming out in complete season/series box sets. Thank goodness for the internet... OK, shows I remember liking:

Transformers
Beast Wars/Machines
He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe (modern one's better)
She-Ra
The New Adventures Of He-Man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the modern one's cool too)
Thundercats
MASK
Visionaries
Dungeons & Dragons
Ulysses 31
Batman (TAS, Adventures of Batman & Robin, New Adventures)
Superman
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends
Spider-Woman
X-Men
Spider-Man (90s)
Incredible Hulk (70s/80s and 90s)
Marvel Action Hour
Silver Surfer
Bucky O'Hare
Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego?
Captain N: The Game Master
Pole Position
Battle Of The Planets
Defenders Of The Earth
Phantom 2040
Jayce And The Wheeled Warriors
ExoSquad
ReBoot
Gargoyles
The Legend Of Prince Valiant
Pirates of Dark Water
Droids
Ewoks
Captain Planet
COPS
Centurions
Adventures Of The Galaxy Rangers

Probably more I can't think of right now.

Oh, and I watched the Highlander cartoon although it SUCKED.

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks Stormer!! Anything on your list that's not on mine......I watched all those too!!!!! :cool:

night creeper
03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
:mad: god too much........ cartoons!!!!!

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Ahhhh your too young.......there's NEVER enough cartoons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Self-Modifier
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Stormer]
Gargoyles[/QUOTE]

D'oh! I can't believe I forgot that one; it's one of my very favorites!

Stormer
03-04-2007, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=General Scarlett]Thanks Stormer!! Anything on your list that's not on mine......I watched all those too!!!!! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Most of the ones on your list and not on mine werent' shown on TV in the UK (and that includes GI Joe)! I did leave out some of the less-serious stuff too, that Self-Modifier touched on... Tiny Toons, Taz-Mania, Animaniacs (and Pinky & The Brain), Freakazoid! (loved that show), Duck Tales, Chip & Dale, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck.

I liked a lot of the Hanna-Barbera shows when I was younger like Scooby-Doo (I actually preferred it when Scrappy was on...), Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Wacky Races/Fender Bender 500...

There was a British-made kiddie-cartoon called Superted I loved (even at age 3, I was a superhero fanboy), an old US superhero spoof short called Batfink (being rerun again currently here) and some adventure cartoon series with the Fonz (& his shades-wearing dog) and the Happy Days guys travelling through time in a time-machine owned by a somewhat ditzy future-girl who was either called Cupcake, or that was just Fonzie's nickname for her (and I watched this series before I ever saw the actual Happy Days show).

That's breaking the boundaries of action/adventure cartoons and pretty much draining my memory dry...!

lehsreh
03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
[COLOR=Red]i guess i should have posted what i watched to start with, but insted ill post what ive collected in the last year or so.
G.I. Joe,
transformers,
bravestarr,
C.O.P.S,
thundercats,
silverhawks,
inspector gadget,
the get along gang,
shirt tales,
count duckula,
inhumanoids,
the visonaries,
jayce and the wheeled warriors
X-men,
TMNT,
he-man,
she-ra,
spiral zone,
the real ghost busters,
jem,
about 5 seasons of the smurfs,
M.A.S.K,
jackie chan adventures,
mmm i probably have some more that slip my mind for now. just wondering also, if anyone has glo-friends or sky commanders let me know. or if you know a good site to get this at.[/COLOR]

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah, the WB stuff was AWESOME as well!!! I'm going to admit it right here, right now....I am a classic 'toons-aholic!! And OH MY GOD :eek: HOW could I have forgotten about 'FREAKAZOID!'!!!! I have the whole series on VHS!!!!! And a 'bootleg' of it on DVD...........LOVE THAT ONE!!!!!!!!! I still use one liners from it!!!!

lehsreh
03-04-2007, 01:00 PM
[COLOR=Red]yeah, i thought there would be a lot of cartoon freaks in here. were all kindred on this site. i actuall think i have more in common with people on here then i do my friends now[/COLOR]

Stormer
03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Real Ghostbusters! Man, how could I forget that?! I thought I'd got everything I'd ever bought toys from...!

I also watched Bravestarr (nearly bought a DVD with 2 episodes of that yesterday, still might), Count Duckula, Danger Mouse, Get-Along Gang, Skeleton Warriors, Care Bears, Go-Bots (which was shown in place of Transformers when the station really should have just resorted to TF reruns), Captain Simian & The Space Monkeys, Garfield & Friends, Wuzzles, Denver The Last Dinosaur, Widget...total barrel-scraping now but I DID watch these regularly...

And of course: Muppet Babies.

Gen. Scarlett; I'm SO jealous of your Freakazoid! collection. With the Animaniacs releases, though, I'm hoping they move on to DVDs of it!

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I hope so too!! My tapes are starting to pull & I loaned the DVD out to a friend of mine & she's still got it-good thing that I know where she lives & I've got keys to the house!!!

;) :D

ender098
03-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Anybody here old enough to remember "StarBlazers" aka "Space Ship Yamato"?

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Aaaa yup.........I watched that one too........

{it occurs to me that we need a smilie that is labeled 'nerd'-you know, with thick horn-rimmed glasses......}

rds13601
03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Battle of the Planets, Superfriends and the Legion of Doom, Scooby Doo, Galaxy Rangers, Bionic Six, Transformers, GI Joe, Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Star Trek the cartoon from the 1970's, Batman and Robin, Batman 1993 and of course the X-men and every Bugs Bunny and Warner Brothers cartoon with Mel Blanc as the voices of different characters.

ender098
03-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Star Blazers
Battle of the Planets
Thundarr the Barbarian
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Superfriends
Godzilla (both the '80's and late 90's)
Shogun Warriors
StarShip Troopers the Roughneck Chronicles
Voltron
Silver Hawks
ThunderCats
inHumaniods

Kroft Supershow (Anyone remember that? ok, it wasn't animated, but it was weird and cool and on Saturday morning.)
What about ARK II?

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]Kroft Supershow (Anyone remember that? ok, it wasn't animated, but it was weird and cool and on Saturday morning.)
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=5]H.R. Puf 'n' Stuf baby!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :D :p :) ;) :cool:

bluestalker88
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
basicly a large number of the shows I watched have already been mentioned but I large number of them I have never seen since I wasn't born yet, but hey they all sound really cool :D I have been able to watch some of the ones that came out before I was born thanks to boomarang and numerious other forms of viewing ie the internet. you are all some of the coolest people I know even tho its just over the internet, I still count you all as real friends, thanks for being so cool everbody :D

Nick

Outrider
03-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Okay, I'm going to show my age here, but what the hell; Classic Warner Brothers (still the best ever!), Marine Boy, King Kong, The Herculoids, the Groovie Goolies, Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Thunderbirds (puppets, I know), The Muppets (okay, not animated either, but close), and more recently Aeon Flux, The Powerpuff girls (Mojo Jojo just kills me), Animaniacs and the Simpsons.

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh wait a minute, if we're talkin' about more recent 'toons then I've got to add:

Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Oddparents, Rugrats, Samuri Jack, PPG, Spongebob Squarepants, Codename:Kids Next Door & Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends....

bluestalker88
03-05-2007, 08:12 AM
exactly what you 2 just said execpt for a couple that Outrider mentioned cause I haven't seen thos yet

Nick