PDA

View Full Version : Indoor or outdoor dios?

ender098
03-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Which do you prefer? Built sets or outdoor dios?

I'll give you some pros and cons from my point of veiw. I prefer indoor shots, so here is my take;

Indoor shots:
Pros
you control the lighting
no wind/rain/snow/mud
no wear and tear on your joes from mud and sand

cons
hard to get bright lighting to look natural
can't get outdoor look to be natural (foliage/weather/etc)
indoor shots cost more $$ and time to build...

What's your opinion?

General Scarlett
03-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Six and one half..........I have a really good yard, so outdoor pics, for me, are cool. I'm working on some stuff that I can take indoors, but they're going to 'look' outdoorsy.........
And then there's some shots that 'have' to be indoors........

So I'm back to my initial statement, '6 & 1 half.......'

But that's just me.... :)

phu
03-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Having never attempted outdoor photos, I don't really know... but my assumptions:

Pros for outdoor:
- Premade sets!
- Obviously more natural settings.
- Interesting built-in light and shadow effects.
- Huge variety of backdrops to choose from.

Cons for outdoor:
- Inclement weather.
- Inconsistent lighting.
- Curious neighbors.
- Abundant scale problems.

Pros for indoor:
- Highly controlled setting.
- Easier to apply lighting and other environmental effects.
- No chance of rain delay.

Cons for indoor:
- Much more effort involved in set creation.
- Fewer potential angles.
- Different but still considerable scale problems.

Personally, I find indoor shooting on custom sets more desirable... but again, my experience is lacking. Part of it is that I just don't have a good place to shoot outdoors, though I do like the idea of building my own detailed environments over trying to find good ones outdoors.

Ion
03-04-2007, 05:33 AM
As for me - I prefer outdoor dios - you can't create such great river banks or cliffs at home. But of course - I know, that I have that luck to have a countryside house in a place where such things are and are great for making dios....

But - for me rather outdoor than indoor, although if I have to make some in-shots - I'm buiding something up :)

lehsreh
03-04-2007, 06:25 AM
[COLOR=Red]since i live between 2 mountains and really dont like city warfare i have to say outdoor. but as i said, thats because i hate urban warfare. i just like the thought f having tons and tons of forest to run through and get lost in rather then a city area where people and stray animals would be running around.

pros for outdoor:
premade sets
no cost
more realistic pics
less time consuming
no one walking in and wondering what the hell a grown man is doing with toys...

cons:
waiting for that smurfing snow that never came:(

pros for indoor:
total control of lighting which means you can do pics even at the latest hours
no rain delay

cons:
very time consuming to build the sets
takes a lot of money for a nice set
takes up a lot of space for the set
can never achieve true natural look
people asking what the smurf a grown man is doing with toys...[/COLOR]

night creeper
03-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I go with outside.I built a fort in my house the bad thing was, :( my lamp is not too bright so when I take a pic you can't see the joes :confused:

Outrider
03-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Seeing as 95% of my shots are outdoors, I'll have to go with that. I much prefer the natural lighting and scenery, and the challenge of getting the scale right. It also allows for much greater depth of field, and location shoots can be truly spectacular if you can find a great locale. However, indoor shots certainly have their place too, especially for night shots where the distant background isn't important and the lighting will be artificial anyway.

ender098
03-04-2007, 10:09 AM
See, If I still lived in Western New York, I'd probably like outdoor dios, but living at the edge of the Mojave desert, it's kinda hard to get good outdoor shots...unless I'm shooting a desert or mountain dio story. Most of my dios include indoor shots simply because I think my readers would get tired of seeing brown sand and rocks all the time. Not to mention that on about 200 of the 365 days of the year, it's pretty windy here!

Some of you guys (Especially Luis and Craig) are lucky...you live in an enviroment where you can have desert, forest or swamp within the same acre, and it looks real! I am SOOOO jealous!!

Self-Modifier
03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I tend to prefer outdoor shooting because my camera cannot take a good picture indoors to save its life. Everything comes out all orange and grainy! Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I'm just using the still photo feature on a video camera...

The cons of outdoor shooting, however, are that unless I want to get stared at, I have to pack everything into my car and drive to my parents' house to use their backyard since I don't have one. Also, when I was shooting the epic final battle in Joe/TF 1, I got an awful sunburn.

A lot of my new story has been shot indoors, but right by the window so I can get some natural lighting and not make everything look, as I said, orange and grainy. I think it helps, but the downside is that I can only shoot during the day, and since I work all week, that only leaves weekends. Though we change the clocks for Daylight Savings Time next week, so I should hopefully have an hour or two of sunlight when I get home from work now.

BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Its been my experience that I feel that I have better luck taking pics outside than inside. I feel that natural lighting is the best lighting because you catch so much of the detail of the figs. Some people take some awsome indoor shots that rock. I think it just comes down what kind of resources person has to take really cool G.I. Joe pics. If someone lives in the city I can see where it would be hard for someone to take outdoor pics. If someone gets inspired to take an outdoor or indoor pic they should try it because it will only make the person a better picture taker seeing what works and what doesn't.

General Scarlett
03-04-2007, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES]Its been my experience that I feel that I have better luck taking pics outside than inside. I feel that natural lighting is the best lighting because you catch so much of the detail of the figs. Some people take some awsome indoor shots that rock. I think it just comes down what kind of resources person has to take really cool G.I. Joe pics. If someone lives in the city I can see where it would be hard for someone to take outdoor pics. If someone gets inspired to take an outdoor or indoor pic they should try it because it will only make the person a better picture taker seeing what works and what doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Great post!!!! I completely agree with you!!!!! :) ;)

snakeeater
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I definitely prefer outdoor shots. Violentfix does a GREAT job building sets that look like they were shot outdoors, but I guess I'm too lazy to build a set if there is lots of cool terrain to photograph. I don't have much at my apartment, but my parents have a lot of land, and good privacy too. Cons are that you are limited to shooting when the sun is out and weather cna be a problem. Also, in the summer, I had to wear a lot of clothes in the hot weather to avoid mosquito bites.