PDA

View Full Version : Making a dock set

Hammerfel
03-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm really into Joe and Cobra watercraft, and I want to make a dock set. I'm inspired by Trooper's dock set (http://www.geocities.com/jefnsean/TroopersCobraVehicles1.html) . You can see how he made it on this page (http://www.geocities.com/jefnsean/DioStories.html) . I have a clear baking pan I could use for the bottom, but I'd like my dock to be bigger than that, so I may have to figure out something else.

Here are some other things I need:

I want to be able to reuse it for Joe and Cobra, and for all 4 walls to come off easily so I can move the camera's viewpoint around inside.
I want to be able to shoot from underwater, with my small underwater camera, so the container needs to be deep enough to get a good angle.
I need it big enoung to hold the WHALE or the Moray.
Ideally, I'd like it to have small lights scattered about, like behind control panels, and maybe even one underwater.
I need to be able to break it down and store it when not in use.

Any ideas? Has Cap joined yet? :)

CynicForever
03-17-2005, 09:19 PM
For a large container, maybe a large rubbermaid-like container(Family Dollar has tons of them in all different shapes and sizes). Could also double as a storage container for the set after the water is drained. The only problem with that would be opacity, but maybe add in an underwater light source for underwater pictures?

Hammerfel
03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey, that's work. I don't really need it to be clear...

Luke Ellison
03-18-2005, 04:51 AM
If you want it to be really big, I'd suggest either a plastic wading pool for little kids (usually only 20 bucks or so at the toy store) or making it out of plexi-glass and water-proof sealer.

General Hawk
03-18-2005, 05:19 AM
I'm with Cynic, I think a rubbermaid container is a fantastic idea. You can get pretty large ones at Wal-Mart for $10-15. Not sure how you'd build up around it, though.

Justin

camper
03-18-2005, 05:59 AM
[QUOTE=General Hawk]I'm with Cynic, I think a rubbermaid container is a fantastic idea. You can get pretty large ones at Wal-Mart for $10-15. Not sure how you'd build up around it, though.[/QUOTE]

Your best bet for building around it would be to take a sheet of plywood to use as the base and cut a hole the size of the opening of the bin. Depending on how big of a base you want to create, you could use 4x4's (or even PVC piping) as the legs, so long as they're the same height as the bin itself.

Not only will this will support the plywood over the tub, but it will also give you an excellent foundation to build the set onto as well. If you use screws to fasten, they can easily be removed for storage later.

If you plan it right, you could use one side of the plywood for the Joes, and the other for Cobra. The structure on the top should most likely be light plywood also (paper & foam will get ruined by the moisture) and if you hinge the wall sections together with 2 way hinges you could even decorate both sides of the walls, one side for joe one for cobra.

Hiding the wall seams and hinges could be done using 'props' such as netting, or lamp posts....whatever fits in with the theme you're going for. Plus, hinging the walls can give you a more unique layout for Joe and Cobra, whereas joe might look like: |__| Cobra may look like \__/ or |__/ or even \___.

Hopefully those diagrams makes some sense......but at least it gives you some ideas.

dan

Violentfix
03-18-2005, 06:48 AM
I wish I had more to add then just saying that I think Lukes Idea would be great if you have the space, then mix it with Campers idea of placing the plywood as a base. If you have the funds you could even buy a fish tank with a large footprint and use that. They make things like that for lizards. It was an idea I was toying with but I could never figure out what I'd do with the tank when I was done.

Luke Ellison
03-18-2005, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=Violentfix]I wish I had more to add then just saying that I think Lukes Idea would be great if you have the space, then mix it with Campers idea of placing the plywood as a base. If you have the funds you could even buy a fish tank with a large footprint and use that. They make things like that for lizards. It was an idea I was toying with but I could never figure out what I'd do with the tank when I was done.[/QUOTE]

Keep the tank set up as a permanent Joe dio in your house... fill it with artificial rock and foliage, and maybe add a water pump for a waterfall and real plants and add some pet lizards to attack your Dino Hunter Joe figures!!!

Violentfix
03-18-2005, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Luke Ellison]Keep the tank set up as a permanent Joe dio in your house... fill it with artificial rock and foliage, and maybe add a water pump for a waterfall and real plants and add some pet lizards to attack your Dino Hunter Joe figures!!![/QUOTE]

Maybe get some of those miniature sharks to attack my eels during salvage missions.

At least we have a lot of active imaginations on this forum.