PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Name

Violentfix
03-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Man am I depressed,

The Dio-story that I have been writing, to follow Rapier, for the last five months was tentatively named "Chaos Theory". Well I was not originally happy with this name but it really started to grow on me, that was of course until I learned that there's a new Tom Clancy game with the same title. That just sucks, I can't keep the name and feel good about it, especially with the subject matter.

The worst part is the game was probably named by someone that just thought it sounded cool and probably doesn't have any deep connections within the (Game) story to actual Chaos Theory. Not to mention it's a Splinter Cell game which means the Title is completely meaningless because 75% of the people that buy it are only going to use the multiplayer mode and probably never even attempt the campaign. ARRGHHHHHH!

Just needed to vent my frustration.

camper
03-17-2005, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=Violentfix]
The Dio-story that I have been writing, to follow Rapier, for the last five months was tentatively named "Chaos Theory". Well I was not originally happy with this name but it really started to grow on me, that was of course until I learned that there's a new Tom Clancy game with the same title. That just sucks, I can't keep the name and feel good about it, especially with the subject matter.
[/QUOTE]

You could look at it in two different ways -

First, you weren't happy with the name to begin with, and it stuck because it was convenient. It didn't feel right initially, because deep down you know it doesn't fit. So, you're being forced to deal with re-naming the dio which was where you were five months ago.

The second way you could look at it, is that the title grew on you because it *is* a good title for a dio story (depending on subject matter, of course). So, you're mad because now that you finally have a title you're ready to roll with and some game comes out with the same one and you feel like you've got to start over.

Honestly? I don't see the game with the same name being any reason to change the title of your story. I can't imagine that other people reading it would be critical of the story because the title just happens to be the same as a video game. Also, "chaos theory" is not really so unique that it couldn't be used multiple times for multiple things.

It's not like you've come up with something like....."Jurassic Park" and then the movie came out with the same title. That would be something I'd be more concerned about. Worrying about a competing name for a video game? I wouldn't even sweat it.

Just so long as you're happy with the name, that's the important thing. When I first wrote my story "Death of a Friend" I loved the title. It plays into the story in multiple ways, most of which haven't even been seen yet. However now, I hate the title. I wish I could change it, but it's too late.

Thats the only advice I could give, and like I said if you're not happy with the title "Chaos Theory" than change it, but change it only if your'e unhappy. Don't change it because of an odd coincedence, because later down the road it might bug you that you didn't stick wtih it.

dan

Thorn
03-17-2005, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=camper]You could look at it in two different ways -

Thats the only advice I could give, and like I said if you're not happy with the title "Chaos Theory" than change it, but change it only if your'e unhappy. Don't change it because of an odd coincedence, because later down the road it might bug you that you didn't stick wtih it.

dan[/QUOTE]

I agree, besides its the story we are looking forward to. There are alot of things with the same name, so I don't see a problem with using the one you like. If you pick a new name, chances are someone else probably has used it for something. The only time you need to worry about the name is if it is a product you are trying to sell; since yours is a free dio story, there are no issues there. You can view it this way, lets say you have a favorite author, why do you suspose the author's name is usually in a much larger font than the title? The fans are mostly concerned about that so-and-so has written a new book. The title is merely the icing. And we now know that the title was yours to begin with :)

I had that happen to me once, I made this character named Carnage, I had drawings of him made and was proud of my character; about 6 months later, Marvel made a character named Carnage....I ended up changing the name of my character. As far as your story goes, there are many books with the same title; so as far as I'm concerned, if you like the title, keep it :D

General Hawk
03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Really, VF, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

When you first mentioned the title "Chaos Theory" I actually thought that sounded like an excellent name...I didn't even make the connection until you mentioned the game, and I try to follow video games pretty regularly.

So, if I were you, I'd say screw it, and keep the title, or start hunting around the web for another title that means the same thing...

Justin

Luke Ellison
03-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, name it: DISORGANIZATION ASSUMPTION or CATASTROPHE CONJECTURE or something... :D

Violentfix
03-17-2005, 02:10 PM
You guys are all right. I need to put a little more thought into it but in the end everything you guys have said has made a lot of sense. I just hate the idea that someone out there might think I copied the name, if I use it. Ahh screw them. I guess I'll have to see how I feel about it when I start shooting the first Chapter next week.

Thanks guy, you rock. I needed the pep talks.

miragearmor
03-17-2005, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Violentfix]Man am I depressed,

The Dio-story that I have been writing.....was tentatively named "Chaos Theory". [/QUOTE]

Don't vent, be creative :)

Instead of "Chaos Theory"", try the following:

a.) "Khaos Theory" a change in the spelling

or

b.) "Kayoss Theory" or "Cayoss Theory" another change in the spelling, just be able to make another supporting character in the dio with the name "Cayoss"

c.) "Kaos" :confused:

Ok, it's weird, but just try something. :rolleyes:

:D

Hammerfel
03-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Have to agree with the fellas above. Don't sweat it. I work for a video game company and am involved in quite a few of the product naming cycles, and the hardest thing we come across is finding a name that hasn't been used before. I'm sure there's a game with my dio name "Disciple" out there. You can bet there's a "Retaliation" and a "Terror" as well. :)

Now, if you'd named yours "Rainbow Six" there would be an issue. :)

nothing_face
03-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Keep "Chaos Theory," VH; It sounds great, you named it first, no one can sue you for it, and heck, you might even get more people directed to your website who are looking for tips. Or somthing.

Bekker
03-23-2005, 10:37 PM
keep the name i like it and who cares if there is a game with the same name,theres is a game and your is going to be a kick azz Dio,different to me.

We are bound to repeat sometimes but Hammer is right its not like you chose STAR WARS,its different.