PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing an artic Dio

Bekker
03-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Would be cool to do a huge arctic Dio,maybe like a joe raid on Cobra way up north,and Joe comes in and crashs the cobra party.

Any ideas?

Moto-viper
03-16-2005, 02:41 AM
There are quite a few movies (mostly cold war) that spring to mind involving the far north and south. Things such as a race through the hostile terrain to ge to a satelite or the like, or one side has a hidden base that gets attacked. I think an important factor is the terrain, and perhaps highlighting the hostility of it all (Cliffhanger: When Sly looses his coat for instance).

Luke Ellison
03-16-2005, 05:55 AM
If you're shooting outside, wait for a slightly overcast day so you're not overwhelmed by a giant mass of reflective white snow. If you have an SLR camera or a digital camera that accepts color filters, look into a CIRCULAR POLARIZER filter which helps eliminate glare and also adds contrast to light hues and shadows. Also, if shooting outdoors, keep your camera wrapped up so no moisture gets inside and cold also causes batteries to die early. I usually wrap my camera in a modified zip lock bag with a rubber band holding a trimmed open hole down over my lens.

camper
03-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Woodland Scenics makes an artificial snow that you could use to recreate the outdoors inside.

I also was thinking of doing similar, and thought of maybe flour or baby powder to do the same.

I'm not one to shoot outdoors though...no real place to do it and I don't want to pay to replace pieces and parts that might get damaged or lost.

If you do it inside, create a base foundation of towels or rags or whatnot, and then put the powder/snow on top of it. Gives the illusion of a snow mound when it's just a small coating on top.

dan

Violentfix
03-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Any Arts N Crafts store should have fake snow that you can use. I would advise against shooting a Dio of any leangth outside.

1 Wear on your camera
2 Wear on you
3 Wear on your figures
4 Lost weapons
5 less controll over the layout of the scene. Remember that real snow gets messy, quick.

General Hawk
03-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Bah! Do what I do and suck it up...walk out in the knee deep snow and start taking pictures. :)

Seriously, an arctic shots I've done, I've done right out in my front or back yard (one of the benefits to New Englad winters, I suppose). Depending on what type of fake snow you get will really depend on how successful it is, but personally, I'd rather try the real thing.

I don't think I've lost anything yet, although I did drop my camera in a snow bank twice during my recent Ice Sabre shoot. :eek:

Everything still seems to be working okay, though...

I will agree, though, that if you DO have the option of shooting inside, try that first...I do prefer the controlled environment (and warmth!) of inside shooting, too...just for snow shots I take advantage of living up North.

Justin

Hammerfel
03-16-2005, 12:34 PM
I grew up in Minnesota, but now live in San Diego. I really want to shoot snow scenes, but I have to do it inside, I'm afraid. I'd like to take a few long distance or "establishing" shots on a location, the closest snow is a few hours drive from here. :(

Bekker
03-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the input,i was thinking of a joe raid on a cobra compound using some of the eversparkle set and fake snow and styrofoam.The joes find out cobra has a compound in the far north and are up to no good,so the joes are sent in to shut it down.would make for an all out huge battle tanks and lots of guys all over,just firefights everywhere.

Pretty new to the dio thing and was really drawn to eat by hammers postings on TNI forums.Really looking forward to trying my hand at it.Hope I can work the magic like hammerfel.

Bekker
03-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Hammerfel I think royale marine should be turned into a bat,and draven should be a sleeping zombie and revsears should quote from the bible that would add a little personality to it,lol,anyway since I never did a dio not sure how your going to add this kinda of stuff,been talking to joerhyno and draven to come up with some personality stuff for the self customs.

Let me know what your thinking bro to know which direction you will take,would be neat to have cobra in the compound and CC and destro are fueding already with themselves when The Joe team gets on the scene.

kinda like a three way battle.Have Zartan be in his clear state and faces trying to hunt him down.Maybe a little showdown with blackout and his brother and sister,kind of go with the traitor thing to the family and joe.

anyway just some ideas let me know what you think and what direction you want to go.