PDA

View Full Version : any characters youve had enough of???

lehsreh
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
[COLOR=Red]im just wondering if there are any more out there like myself? you know, people who have had enough of some characters getting way, way too much attention. the first character i think of, was one of my favorite joes until i read the comics and some dios. that would be snake eyes. he was the best character in the joes for awhile, then they did the overkill and now i hate to see him on anything. when/if i do my dio, im letting him get beat up by every green shirt and tele-viper coming and going. i feel the same way about duke, hate the guy with a passion, although not nearly as much as i use to and nowhere near as much as i hate falcon. i hated him in the cartoon and the comic, now the way he is overused in some dios im starting to hate him even more. the same for barrel roll. i dont own a barrel roll or falcon, but i want both so i can put them with snake eyes and duke and have them all get beat up by a single dreadnok, maybe zarana. instead of seeing them so much in comics and dios, id much rather see bazooka, dusty or sci-fi. just wondering which chatacters do any of you feel the same way about?[/COLOR]

Outrider
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke, Scarlett, Stalker....give 'em a rest and let someone else have a go! :rolleyes:

ender098
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Snake eyes and Storm Shadow for sure! Beachhead somewhat! Flint, Lady Jaye. I'd like to see more Airtight, Salvo, Muskrat, Footloose and spearhead. But the be-all end-all over glamourized character that needs to sit out a few issues;

Duke!

God, I think Hasbro must be Nazi's! Over a lot of cooler, more detailed and colorful characters, they choose the blond haired, blue eyed, master aryan poster boy duke to be their cornerstone character! BLAH! He's soooo bland! HE's worse than mashed potatos! He bores the living hell outta me! Hawk is boring, too, but they keep his exposure to a minimum!

'nuff said!

Sonneilon
02-06-2007, 11:24 AM
With the nice lull that Hasbro's given us w/ 3.75", I'm pretty open to anybody. HOWEVER, if Hasbro punks the 25th line and does 2 SEs and 2 CCs, then you know who'll I immediately say. Yup. No more Raptor and Crystal Balls!!!

lehsreh
02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
[COLOR=Red]i actually liked raptor... crystal ball wasnt a fun character but i wish i had his figure. the comic made raptor look as stupid as could be, and i guess as a grown up, if i should call myself that, i see that they both were really stupid characters. but then again so was windmill and the stupid eco warriors and the dumb as hell space aliens. actually if your looking at it in reality, storm shadow is probably the dumbest character. he wears white and never uses a gun...nuff said. [/COLOR]

nando
02-06-2007, 11:45 AM
MM KAMAKURA i dont want to see him no more , i like more characters like gun ho , leatherneck , salvo , dialtone ,bazooka , doc , stalker ...

nando
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
well snake eyes is immortal.......lol

Jay
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=lehsreh][COLOR=Red]im just wondering if there are any more out there like myself? you know, people who have had enough of some characters getting way, way too much attention. the first character i think of, was one of my favorite joes until i read the comics and some dios. that would be snake eyes. he was the best character in the joes for awhile, then they did the overkill and now i hate to see him on anything. when/if i do my dio, im letting him get beat up by every green shirt and tele-viper coming and going. i feel the same way about duke, hate the guy with a passion, although not nearly as much as i use to and nowhere near as much as i hate falcon. i hated him in the cartoon and the comic, now the way he is overused in some dios im starting to hate him even more. the same for barrel roll. i dont own a barrel roll or falcon, but i want both so i can put them with snake eyes and duke and have them all get beat up by a single dreadnok, maybe zarana. instead of seeing them so much in comics and dios, id much rather see bazooka, dusty or sci-fi. just wondering which chatacters do any of you feel the same way about?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Honestly now... spite will never be appreciated in dios.
I remember a few years back someone did a dio-story where he just killed Snake-Eyes unceremoniously. Everyone I spoke to said "All right! Dead Snake-Eyes!", but when I asked "Yes, dead Snake-Eyes. But was the story any good?" and everyone pretty much agreed that no, it wasn't.
You don't like Snake-Eyes or Duke? Fine, don't use him in your dio. But don't just kill him off out of spite, that'll just hurt your story and make it less enjoyable.

lehsreh
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Jay]Honestly now... spite will never be appreciated in dios.
I remember a few years back someone did a dio-story where he just killed Snake-Eyes unceremoniously. Everyone I spoke to said "All right! Dead Snake-Eyes!", but when I asked "Yes, dead Snake-Eyes. But was the story any good?" and everyone pretty much agreed that no, it wasn't.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red]not really. just because one character gets killed off doesnt mean the story will be any less. just kill them in a good way and dont have the whole story around him. and i wouldnt kill him off, that would deprive me from futher humiliating him later on. and in all honesty, although i hope that everyone enjoys my dios as much as i do gen joes and others, if you do a dio for everyone else, then how can you really enjoy doing it, it becomes more like a job. i do it because i am now to old to play the way i used to, so dios are the new way to play. i do what is fun for me, and hope that some others enjoy it. it doesnt mater to me if 500 hate it and only 5 love it. the 5 who love it are the ones who see things the way i do, so their the ones whos input i would want. i mean if someone who made a dio where the entire joe team was captured by cobra and snake eyes went and saved them by killing every single cobra down to the last man all by him self, i could care less what he thought of my dio, because i sure as smurf wouldnt want to do anything he would like. [/COLOR]

Jay
02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=lehsreh][COLOR=Red]not really. just because one character gets killed off doesnt mean the story will be any less. just kill them in a good way and dont have the whole story around him. and i wouldnt kill him off, that would deprive me from futher humiliating him later on. and in all honesty, although i hope that everyone enjoys my dios as much as i do gen joes and others, if you do a dio for everyone else, then how can you really enjoy doing it, it becomes more like a job. i do it because i am now to old to play the way i used to, so dios are the new way to play. i do what is fun for me, and hope that some others enjoy it. it doesnt mater to me if 500 hate it and only 5 love it. the 5 who love it are the ones who see things the way i do, so their the ones whos input i would want. i mean if someone who made a dio where the entire joe team was captured by cobra and snake eyes went and saved them by killing every single cobra down to the last man all by him self, i could care less what he thought of my dio, because i sure as smurf wouldnt want to do anything he would like. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Are you sure you're old? The way you're talking about using Snake-Eyes in your dios just to humiliate him makes you sound immature.
This is the cool thing about dios, you're not being forced by Hasbro to put emphasis on Snake-Eyes or on Ninja Force or on Duke, so they can be nonexistant in your Joeverse.
Why hurt the potential quality of your work by doing such immature things as "hey look here's Snake-Eyes haha a Viper kicked him in the groin lolz!" when it'll just hurt your credibility as a dio-story artist?

lehsreh
02-06-2007, 12:54 PM
[COLOR=Red]because its what i want to see. why do anything, why do a dio? because its something you want to. i dont do anything for the acceptence of others, seeing snake eyes getting beat is what i want, its what i would like to see. just like im sure theres a movie with a character that you would like to see things happen to them, be it good or bad. i dont know if you have a dio or not, even so, im sure if you do then there is a main character. why is he the main character? because you simply want him to be, and you would do stuff with him that you thought was cool. the same for me, i would do it with snake eyes because to me, its cool. and calling someone immature for wanting to put something in a dio, isnt it immature to get upset because someone thinks differently then you do? you could do a dio and do whatever you wanted to with anyone, and make quick kick, one of my favorite characters look weak. would i call you immature? no, because im above that. werent you one of the guys who was starting something with one of the other members in the thread about the bad pics? this is a place where we can do our stuff the way we want and let people enjoy it, or not. not a place where if you do not agree with someone you go into this big debate about whos giving low ratings and whos immature for wanting to do something in their own dio. anyone can do anything in their own dio, after all. its theirs.[/COLOR]

ToneGunsRevisited
02-06-2007, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=ender098] I'd like to see more Airtight, Salvo, Muskrat, Footloose and spearhead.
'nuff said![/QUOTE]

More of Muskrat? Did you really look at Outrider shots? hauhauhau. There is always a muskrat around :D.

Sonneilon
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
My 1st dio, I killed a whole lotta Joes. Torpedo, Surefire, Big Ben, etc. Do I regret it? Not too much but in a way, Jay's right. You don't like 'em, don't use 'em in the dio. I was doing a big melee fight and a bunch of guys got blown up just for body count. lol. The real kicker is this. According to my Joeverse based on dios, Firefly has been in a GI Joe jail cell for the last 3-4 years and Nunchuk is STILL a Viper in disguise (his name is Chuck Nunn).

As it stands now, I've sold off the figures I don't care for. They dont' need to be in the dio but at the same time, you can always reference them in dialogue. S6 doesn't show up in my 3.75" (as well, they shouldn't) but they are referenced (in a rather sarcastic way by Colton). In the S6 dios, I reference the rest of the Joe team doing other things.

Kinda like how AE has a main crew and then other agents running around.

Sonneilon
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh man. I'm pretty open-minded and coming from the S6 verse, I rather don't like the Kamakura variants they've done. And with that in mind, 1 Kamakura is good enough for me!

Ranger_22
02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
For me, Duke, SE and SS. They make too many variations of them in 3.75", 8" and 12"!!!!! I totaly agree with you Frank. Duke is a Nazi. Well not really. But he is Aryan.
But how could you be tired of Beachhead!??!? :confused:

ToneGunsRevisited
02-06-2007, 02:36 PM
About Joes dying, I would say it is normal. Man, they are soldier, sometimes some of them need to die. Well soldiers die, don't?
I disagree with Sonne killing Big Ben, cuz I like the character. But his dio isn't bad just because of that. And in my 'verse he is still alive :p.
What means to me is that everyone need to do what they need, to tell they're story. I just can't get a dio serious, when it should be, if people start to make funny of some characters in a way that would not be believable. Let me explain. Imagine that you are trying to do a dio with tension and in some point of the dio you show some greenshirt kickin' SE, this would make me laugh. Breakin' all the tension. You can have the same greenshirt kicking SE, SS or Duke in a comedy diostory. That is totally possible. In another way I would not eat it.

Sonneilon
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Wait a second, TG. You REMEMBER that old piece of crap dio, The Ultimate Weapon??? Man, it was a good idea but the execution was terrible! I can't bear to read it and neither can Frank! lol

Bayer
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]Snake eyes and Storm Shadow for sure! Beachhead somewhat! Flint, Lady Jaye. I'd like to see more Airtight, Salvo, Muskrat, Footloose and spearhead. But the be-all end-all over glamourized character that needs to sit out a few issues;

Duke!

God, I think Hasbro must be Nazi's! Over a lot of cooler, more detailed and colorful characters, they choose the blond haired, blue eyed, master aryan poster boy duke to be their cornerstone character! BLAH! He's soooo bland! HE's worse than mashed potatos! He bores the living hell outta me! Hawk is boring, too, but they keep his exposure to a minimum!

'nuff said![/QUOTE]

Hey Ender098,
You are aware that it isn't healthy to keep things all bottled up, aren't you? You need to learn to express what you really think. If you don't you'll burst an artery or something.

And the blond/blue-eyed posterboy for man love has been way over done.

General Scarlett
02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
'To each their own'-that's what I say. If you don't like certain character's you have two options: 1) Don't use them in your stories, or just refer to them as 'on leave' or 'on assignment' OR 2) Don't bother to even buy these figures!! Then you don't have to even THINK about using them!!

If you can't do either one of these, then simply change the character altogether! Give them a new codename, paint their uniform (or cross it with someone else's) & make up a whole new back story about them. I have been changing all sorts of stuff with my Joeverse for the last 25 years!!

But hey, that's just me.....................you guys can do whatever you want.

To me, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow=way overused!!

Sonneilon
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
You brat. During the 2002+ era, we didn't have a choice but to buy 2 figures at once! I mean, there IS a reason why those peasoup beach heads are my greenshirts. I had 16 of those Sand Vipers at one time!!!

ender098
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=Bayer]Hey Ender098,
You are aware that it isn't healthy to keep things all bottled up, aren't you? You need to learn to express what you really think. If you don't you'll burst an artery or something.

And the blond/blue-eyed posterboy for man love has been way over done.[/QUOTE]

I do let it out...I take MArine Communications students out through the desert on "Fun Runs" :D

We should start calling Duke "That Arayan Ass-Clown". LOL!

General Scarlett
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
What can I tell you?? Sometimes it pays to be 'older'....... :p :D ;)

And could we please stop picking on Duke??? Thank you!!! :)

Sonneilon
02-06-2007, 09:08 PM
But I like Duke now. If you can get away from the comics and S6 'toon, he's not bad. I mean, make him as you see fit. I'm not against Duke like I was when I was a kid. But let me be honest. You don't see Duke much in my dios. And there's a reason for that. He is what I make him to be. The battlefield leader of GI Joe. But Duke can't do everything so I do stories that don't need him. Maybe I'll do a Duke dio. But as it stands, he's not that important. To me, he's just a guy giving orders. Not the rico-suave duder Sunbow made him. In fact, he's probably more like the Marvel Duke than the Sunbow/Hasbro f'n Duke!!!

Outrider
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]Yup. No more Raptor and Crystal Balls!!![/QUOTE]

That's why Gypsies can't ride bicycles...'cos they have Crystal Balls...heh heh. :eek: Oops...sorry. Couldn't help myself there. :D

General Scarlett
02-07-2007, 07:41 AM
[SIZE=7]D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/SIZE] :rolleyes:

rds13601
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I gotta go with Hawk. To me Hawk and Duke cancel eachother out. I know you guys think Duke is too Aryan but in the first Sunbow mini series we learn about Duke as a kid. His sense of fair play for me shows a characteristic or personality trait that is real. To me, Hawk has no traits. Ya think Hasbro will make a version of Hawk in a wheelchair?? I wish Cobra Commander had better aim in the Devil's Due publication..

Flint
02-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I with Scarlett on this one 100%!!! ;)