PDA

View Full Version : A Real American Hero question

gijoeiwasthere
07-10-2017, 05:04 PM
are the 2000s Joes ( o-ring ) eligible for ARAH shots? As I have those, but none from my childhood (1982....)

cmyaj
07-10-2017, 05:36 PM
It's just me, but I consider the cutoff to be when the 25th Anniversary style started. When inventorying my figures, I lump the pre-25th in with my vintage o-rings.

Meddatron
07-10-2017, 05:41 PM
^Yup. I now see it as o-ring and modern/25th styles. I like the Major Bludd in 2000, I looked at the line on YoeJoe. He is a walking squad killer if any of his bombs get shot. lol. I can't recall seeing many shots with him being done. Heck none really from this year. I say go for it. I'd like to see that Bludd make something go boom. :)

neapolitan joe
07-10-2017, 06:15 PM
1) The "CLASSIC ERA G.I.JOE": 1982-1994 (A.R.A.H), 1997 (R.A.H.C.), 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2002 till The Real American Hero Collection ends;

2) The "NEW SCULPT ERA G.I.JOE": 2002 (G.I.JOE vs. Cobra), 2003 (G.I.JOE vs. Cobra Spy Troops), 2004 (G.I.JOE Valor vs. Venom, Comic Book 3 Packs, etc.), 2005 (as 2004 plus D.T.C.) and 2006 till Direct to consumer ends;

3) THE "MODERN ERA G.I.JOE": 2007 (25th anniversary), 2008, 2009 (Rise of Cobra), 2010 (Pursuit of Cobra), 2011 (30th Anniversary), 2012 (Retaliation, Renegades), 2013 (as 2012), 2014 (50th Anniversary), 2015, 2016 and 2017.

I think only number "1" (my so called CLASSIC ERA G.I.JOE)'d be eligible for A.R.A.H. section.

silentdusty
07-10-2017, 06:35 PM
I'd go with anything O-Ring for ARAH, because that's what they were, even in the new sculpt era. 25th and after is for everything else.

TwoOneEight
07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]Joes are Joes.

Cobra is Cobra.

I mean, there is room in my Joeverse for all of them. There are still some O-ring figures that need ME versions of them, but I ain't complaining.

To me, it is not disrespectful for O-ring Medi-Vipers to work on my wounded ME Combat Ninjas.

Or my O-ring Med-Alert and ME Lifeline to work together.

I keep a team of O-ringers as my APC drivers, because ME figs do not fit in the driver's seat. And O-ringers are more than welcome to ride in my PTE Humvees driven by my ME figs.

There is room for everyone. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Slipstream80
07-10-2017, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=silentdusty]I'd go with anything O-Ring for ARAH, because that's what they were, even in the new sculpt era. 25th and after is for everything else.[/QUOTE]
This is how I have understood it to be.

Flatline
07-10-2017, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=silentdusty]I'd go with anything O-Ring for ARAH, because that's what they were, even in the new sculpt era. 25th and after is for everything else.[/QUOTE]
That's my motto

Dr. Phibes
07-10-2017, 08:28 PM
NJ pretty much got it right. And arah repaints got mixed in with jvc wave 1.5. Mirage, big Ben, grey/blue alley viper, red/gray alley viper, etc. Some said they were like the red-headed Bastard child of gi Joe. But by valore vs venom and dtc, one could see hints of later standard construction. Major barrage, for example.

neapolitan joe
07-11-2017, 01:44 AM
Major Barrage, O-ring perfection!

gijoeiwasthere
07-11-2017, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=Dr. Phibes]NJ pretty much got it right. And arah repaints got mixed in with jvc wave 1.5. Mirage, big Ben, grey/blue alley viper, red/gray alley viper, etc. Some said they were like the red-headed Bastard child of gi Joe. But by valore vs venom and dtc, one could see hints of later standard construction. Major barrage, for example.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I've only seen Major Barrage a couple times...looks like they took his aesthetic mixed it with Toybiz's SuperHero Showdown and Bam! Modern Era!

Dr. Phibes
07-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Hasbro tried a few other articulation during jvc that brought strange resentment. Firefly had swivel thighs and joined ankles (better than what modern era has imo). I want to say Scarlett got the treatment too but I could be wrong.

But the weirdest thing jvc did was the t-crotch for that 1st wave. And you had some very non - traditional Joe's to the point that they didn't look like the characters in any form. But it did give us the very cool looking neovipers. And the whole Joe vs cobra had some neat vs stories behind it.

Lava Boss
07-11-2017, 11:10 AM
2002 Scarlett had mid-thigh joints, but not the ankles. Wrists should've become standard, but wrists can break off easily sometimes as a new sculpt Night Creeper I have shows. (In addition, the kid rule that any body part they can pull off, they will, I've come across many used star wars figures missing hands.)

T-crotch was Hasbro trying to either reduce costs and go with a new aesthetic. Most fans reacted with disgust when they were unveiled...and they were right...probably the last time the majority of 3 3/4" fans agreed on anything.

The second wave was retooled, the delay led to waves 1.25 and 1.5 using vintage molds and wave 1 repaints. It also meant Hasbro farmed out the sculpting/design on wave 3 to Takara, resulting in quirky looking Flint, Snow Serpent, Baroness, Mindbender Beach-Head, Snake-Eyes and Blowtorch figures.

Dr. Phibes
07-11-2017, 12:44 PM
That is true, Lava. The proportions of the body were just weird at times. With Wave 1, I liked that they tried to bulk the Joes up to be more, I suppose, fantasy. But when it came to someone like Flint and Widescope, long legs and short torsos just made things weird. And in some ways, the arah-like comic packs (like Tunnel Rat, Flint (again), and others actually looked better!

I think DTC Barrel Roll had more modern articulation.

Now that we dredge up the past, the gorilla arms were horrible. I don't know what they were thinking. Mindbender comes to mind. And then some figures would have 1 gorilla and 1 regular! And then there were the 'skirts' where figures couldn't sit down (looking at you, Cobra Commander). Probably looked good on paper, but the end design execution just didn't work. Unless, as I always joked, 'they never sit down'.

Dr. Phibes
07-11-2017, 12:49 PM
geez, i'm rusty here. used to just dropping pics. how do we do this again? lol

JvC Scarlett. Built like a linebacker?

Scarlet (http://www.yojoe.com/action/02/agentscarlett.shtml)

Shoot, check out the entire 2002 releases!

GI Joe vs Cobra 2002 via yojoe.com (http://www.yojoe.com/action/02/)

Hammerfel
07-11-2017, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=TwoOneEight][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]
To me, it is not disrespectful for O-ring Medi-Vipers to work on my wounded ME Combat Ninjas. [/QUOTE]

That made me smile. :)

There is room for everyone. [/SIZE][/COLOR]
Amen Brother!

Meddatron
07-11-2017, 02:05 PM
My Zombie horde doesn't care what type of Joe they eat from either. They don't even need their food to be Hasbro made.

TwoOneEight
07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Meddatron]My Zombie horde doesn't care what type of Joe they eat from either. They don't even need their food to be Hasbro made.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahaha!!