PDA

View Full Version : anyone using CFL bulbs to light the toy room?

Django
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I have some 60watt CFL's I want to start using but i don't want my stuff to fade.
I read they fade print but haven't seen anything on plastics,Im not a mib collector so i dint care about that but i do care about my figs colors fading.

any info/feedback would be appreciated.

turner
08-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I understood they yellow plastic...

The BATman
08-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, the UV light from fluorescent lamps causes plastics to yellow, just like the UV light from sunlight. Of course, if you only turn on the light a few minutes a day (on average), then the effect will be limited.

If you want to avoid discoloration altogether (or at least the part due to UV light, there are still other factors: exposure to oxygen, heat, temperature fluctuations), but still want to reduce your energy bill, then I guess it's better to use LED-lighting.

Another alternative is to keep your toys behind glass covered with a UV-reflecting coating.

Django
08-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Im hoping to find some uv shields for the cfl's .

Django
08-28-2012, 11:12 AM
So I found a white toy car that changes color with uv light and I put it right next to the CFL and it turned blue I then moved it away from the CFL only about 12" and the car did not change color. So I guess its safe to use these bulbs in the room as long as the toys are not right on the bulb,after years of being exposed change may happen but not much.

pbarny1701
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
It also depends on the plastic. I have lots of Star Wars Storm Troopers. The ones from the 1995 relaunch for the most part are still white. The ones from the 2000-2002 FanClub sets based off the PotJ mold are yellowing. I don't smoke, they are out of direct light. Yes, I do use CFLs, but they're 4-5 feet away etc. The only explanation left is the plastic itself. Too soon for the VotC and later molds.