PDA

View Full Version : Negative space.

Lt. Faceless
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I just built my first Dio.It seems no matter where i face my camera,i run into stuff in the background that shouldn't be there.So for you other diomakers,how do you avoid this problem?Do you use a black posterboard for a filler or just try and angle the camera as best you can? Thanks for any help.

Reverend Blood
07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I've run into this same problem. I have a black poster board to move around, but also try to get as tight of an angle as possible. My photos still suck relatively badly, so I'm sure someone else will have better advice, but that's what I do.

troopsofdoom
07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Like the Reverend said, close-ups are a good way to hide hide the background. But I think the only foolproof solution is to build bigger sets/backgrounds.

Lt. Faceless
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=troopsofdoom]Like the Reverend said, close-ups are a good way to hide hide the background. But I think the only foolproof solution is to build bigger sets/backgrounds.[/QUOTE]

I wish i had the room to build a bigger set.As of right now,posterboard size is the limit for how big i can build. Thanks for the tips guys. The only reason i built a set was because of the 100+ heat for 3-4 days is not fun to shot in.Last year that kind of heat started to warp my toys.

zedhatch
07-03-2012, 04:25 PM
My sets for scale wars are smaller than poster board, I do run into some problems in the windows of the shops ect, but I try to make the shots kind of tight and low light in the background. But tighten the shots maybe. Hard tos ay for certain without seeing the sets.

figureware
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I use fold out cardboard poster board and black or blue poster board. I also have some dios built onto shelves which have posterboard backing. I crop the pictures and try my best to keep any crap in the back ground out! Does not always work but Im having fun so... :) I have not gotten too good at green screening yet. All of my work is done using my I phone...Its shot using the Camera + app and edited using the POW Comics app. Just do the best you can and I hope it turns out good.

Lt. Faceless
07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Thats something else i've never done.Use photoshop or edit in any way.Every pic i post is how i shot it.So far it seems black backboard is the best bet to feel the void.

I didn't think about this until now,should this be in the How-to section?

roguetiger
07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Lt. Faceless]Thats something else i've never done.Use photoshop or edit in any way.Every pic i post is how i shot it.So far it seems black backboard is the best bet to feel the void.

I didn't think about this until now,should this be in the How-to section?[/QUOTE]

If you don't have Photoshop you can get GIMP for free if you search for it...

Lt. Faceless
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=roguetiger]If you don't have Photoshop you can get GIMP for free if you search for it...[/QUOTE]

I know about a couple different kinds of PS.I just choose not to use it.I think it adds for fun to the shot.That and if could get to the point were the whole shot is photoshoped.

I just keep trying different setups,thanks for all the tips everyone.

Dreadnok Dread
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I use the negative space as a friend. I have extra things like trash,boards,cars,dumpsters and walls with graffiti to detract from the negative space. I try to go for a real looking scenes so i look at everyday life and see how the negative space is filled. for the back drops i use a big poster board i painted one in black for night and forest shots and one in sky blue for day shots. those were best. Cropping yours shots like someone else said tends to work to. I try to shoot the shot perfectly without using ps. i still use it for some shots but i tend to not use it as much anymore. hope this helps take a look at some of my shots so you can see how i fill the negative space! cheers and happy shooting!

rnrhero
11-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Black poster board and shooting at as open an Aperture as possible is what I do. 1.8f or 2.8f as much as possible. Bokeh usually takes care of the negative space shot that high.