PDA

View Full Version : Joe Con 2012, your thoughts

troopsofdoom
07-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Lots of pictures and news coming form Joe Con this weekend. What does everyone think?

The good news is the later waves for Retaliation are looking better than what's been released so far. What I'm looking forward to:

Night-Viper
Flint (paratrooper!)
Firefly (3-pack is awesome and "ultimate" is cool too)
Duke (even he looks decent)

Cobra Night Landing with Eel (really Torpedo)

The worst part was the Concept Vault, because it had the best stuff which was all canceled. (Although I'm glad the Zombies and Ninja Force were canceled.) Some stuff I'd love to see made:

Data-Viper
Flint
Hit & Run
Beach Head
Kwinn
Crimson Guard Immortal

Renegades Truck and Jeep

figureware
07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I like the Renegades stuff and believe it or not I really liked the Ninja and Zombie stuff...So overall I am bummed about Joe Con throw in an overpriced OG set that Ive seen customize-rs do way better! and you have your self a near fail! I loved that it was in my hometown and I am pretty excited about some of the retaliation stuff!

Night Fox
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Indeed, the later offerings looks to be far superior than the first waves. I'm loking forward to: ultimates Duke and Flint, Night Viper, CG, both Firefly versions, the Night ops joe 3 pack, movie acurate cobra trooper.
About the "cancelled" items: I think we still have some chance to see some of that produced if we can find a proper way to say that to Hasbro. They were open to hear opinions and that says something, even if remote. I'd love to see the Coyote and jeep from renegades released, along with Hit & Run, Beachhead, LJ, Data Viper, Kwinn(so thar means he's cancelled, despite what they have said, huh?), Snow Serpent. Those two joe troop builders as well, to integrate more specialized Steel Brigade divisions. I hate zombies and not so much into ninjas, enven if I like them, so those woulb be a huge pass for me.
In all I think the movie line has a good chance to perform well at retailers, and we better cross our fingers, the future of the whole line will depend on it.

Reverend Blood
07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
I want Darklon so bad that my face hurts. And he's already up to $250 on the secondary market. Other than that it's just more impatiently waiting for stuff that we won't get until next year, and sadness over the awesome things we'll never get (That Zartan was a masterpiece.)

Lava Boss
07-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Night landing seems neat, but it's still just a little boat, the kind every knock-off line made their own version of. Funny that was the only additional Retaliation vehicle shown.

Movie Cobra Trooper (or ninja) is cool if only for the Cobra flag.

Concept stuff:

Kwinn- Why is this so impossible to get made? :confused:

New Generic Joes- Echo Faction, Steel Brigade 2 and the other one. Not bad per se, but there's a host of Joe that they could remake.

Zombies- I find it hard to believe they go that much in that direction ever. As a seven pack, yeah, but mass retail...I can't seen major buyers going for it.

Ninjas- Not a ninja fan. And the names...ugh...BEAST NINJA, GHOST NINJA, DARK NINJA MASTER...generic.

It was like 1992 again, zombies and ninjas. Star Brigade would be just around the corner.

The vehicles, the Coyote they went action feature on, seems like it wouldn't hold the whole Renegades Joe squad (the ones they made, they didn't even have Roadblock as a mock-up).

The Howler was so undersized as to be useless.

The other one was just another APC, which are never as good as they sound.

But I don't collect modern style. And even some of the Retaliation figures look neat, at $10 each...I'll stick with trying to get what few Star Wars items I can want (if I can find them). One thing I prefer about Star Wars, most of their convention stuff is skippable to all but die hard collectors.

figureware
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
i really would like to have seen a Renegades Dr Mindbender as well. I think Hasbro could really energize the action figure market unlike 1992? I think Joe fans may be more open to new and exciting stuff. They are looking at whats selling-whats hot Ninjago, Zombies, Halo (joe trooper anyone?) I think rehashing old figures is starting to wear on Hasbro as well.

pbarny1701
07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
I'll say what I've said multiple places multiple times. Don't plan on seeing anything after wave 2 because they'll be clogging the pegs starting in February.

roguetiger
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=pbarny1701]I'll say what I've said multiple places multiple times. Don't plan on seeing anything after wave 2 because they'll be clogging the pegs starting in February.[/QUOTE]

They are flying off the pegs so fast here in Denver we won't be seeing anything but the motorcycles until Feb when the wave 2 or wave 1 gets put out again... Cause there won't be any Joe product til the Movie comes out in March....

pbarny1701
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=roguetiger]They are flying off the pegs so fast here in Denver we won't be seeing anything but the motorcycles until Feb when the wave 2 or wave 1 gets put out again... Cause there won't be any Joe product til the Movie comes out in March....[/QUOTE]

Sure, but when the re-order those exact same case assortments, put it all out, and how is it going to be different from any other movie line not named Star Wars? I know I just bought two ROC Baroness last December 2011 for custom purposes still on clearance at walmart.

Scarrviper
07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't collect the new style figures by choice, so most of this stuff doesn't effect me. The only item of interest to me is the night landing set. Gotta love the weapons locker and gear they're including.

With that being said, if I was a collector of the new style stuff, I would be absolutely livid right now. The con exclusives are being resold at absolutely outrageous and unprecedented prices. The club also just loves to tease people with their subscription figures that at this point will probably end up cancelled (I know they won't be, but it's getting ridiculous at this point). Hasbro however is just as bad. As nice as it is to see concept stuff, almost everything in that case would sell (except for the zombies and ninjas). That was like a slap in the face. "Here's all this stuff we know you guys want or would like, but sorry we have to instead try to sell you this junk that's promoting a sequel no-one asked for to a movie that sucked. It seems to me like for the past 4-5 years (maybe longer than that) the people in charge of the joe department have no idea about the potential the brand has.

elmobfaelnar15
07-04-2012, 04:02 AM
This set is amazing...heres my thoughts on this (the list is based on generalsjoes site):

30th Anniversary style
 Barbecue (Team Bravo Firefighter) – easy pass. This should be released in 35th anniv or a much later date
 Beachhead – must buy. This is an awesome update on a cool design
 Cobra Eel – must buy.
 Cobra Officer – easy pass. The 30th is far more superior compare to this
 Cobra Shock Trooper – easy pass. Same as cobra officer
 Crimson Guard Immortal – must buy. Awesome update to my favorite 90s figure
 Crimson Shadow Guard – 50/50 on this. Although an inclusion of an extra “fred” series head will definitely change my mind
 Flint – W.O.W. Must – have – it!!!
 G.I. Joe Police Unit 4 – meh. Maybe one just to satisfy my curiosity.
 G.I. Joe Trooper (tan uniform) – another meh. The retaliation is much cooler than this. 1 figure purchase is enough for me
 HEAT Viper – must buy in 2s
 Hit & Run – W.O.W.
 Kwinn the Mercenary – why are you here? After soooo much fanfare, sooo much reviews and comments that they will be releasing this figure, why are you here???? Seriously?? Get this figure out of here and into our hands Hasbro!!!
 Lady Jaye – 50 / 50 on this. Although the body is awesome I still prefer my no cap lady jaye from the weather dominator set
 Laser-Viper – must buy in 2s
 Shipwreck – again? They should have change the sign from navy to SURVIVAL and change the head to make an awesome Outback update (and phase out that useless hand they gave him in the 25th line)
 Steel Brigade Commander – easy pass. There’s just too many troop builder in the joe side that its getting too crowded. What happened to the “Elite Fighting Force” that makes the joes a cut above the military hierarchy?
 Steel Brigade Delta (light green uniform, different tooling) – easy pass, same as steel brigade commander
 Stinger Driver – Must buy (but should be paired with an updated stinger. As a single figure? easy pass)
 Tele-Viper – change the head and make a removable headgear and you got yourself a must buy baby!!

elmobfaelnar15
07-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Pursuit of Cobra style
 Clutch (Pursuit of Cobra VAMP Driver) – must buy although this doesn’t feel like “Clutch” as in more of a new character to me.
 Cobra Infantry – meh…easy pass
 Data-Viper – Another “WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?” figure. Get him out and sell us this figure now!!
 Dreadnok KAOS Crew – must buy (although he feels more like a new character rather than a “generic trooper”)
 Echo Faction Trooper (Grunt?) – must buy! great head sculpt
 Heavy Alley-Viper – meh…easy pass
 HISS Driver (Pursuit of Cobra HISS Driver) – must buy (this looks more like an updated Cobra Incinerator than a HISS driver). This should be made into a new character rather than a rehash of the old driver guy (beside, the last HISS driver, the horseman I think, is much more cooler as a driver than him)
 NOMaD Warrior – easy pass. While the concept is great the essence of GIJOE (as I said with steel brigade commander) is getting diluted. This concept should be made as a sub-unit (like Slaughters Maraunders or Night Force) using old / new characters. Rook and the other old school steel brigade (2007??) should be included in this unit or on Ravens Wing group
 Pit Training Duke – buy (only for customization, nothing else. This should be placed in a 3 pack or a 7 pack)
 Raven’s Wing – must buy but still the same with the NOMad Warrior. This should be a singular character and the concept a sub-group, like an GIJOE black ops consisting of ravens wing, beach head, spearhead etc.
 Ripcord Arctic Diver – Must Buy but change the name.
 Snow Serpent – must buy. Awesome update, and the jacket (from the cancelled artic duke) is amazing
 Steel Brigade v.2 – PASS. The POC / 30th is good enough for me
 Zartan – A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!! A must

elmobfaelnar15
07-04-2012, 04:09 AM
The Legends of the Arashikage (this should have been done like BBTS 7 pack. That I will buy. But as a singular character a big question mark for me (except dark ninja master. Hes a step closer to Ninja Gaiden character that ive been trying to kitbash, and ghost ninja henchmen. Who doesn’t like a skulled ninja warrior?))
 Beast Ninja
 Dark Ninja Master
 Ghost Ninja Henchman
 Gold Ninja (Actual name not known)
 Ninja Warrior Monk
 Snake Ninja Master
If they’re going to this route they should have revisited the ninja force subgroup of the 90s. Theres a plethora of awesome characters that they should have updated plus Budo which I think is a very much underrated figure / character
 Red Ninja Dice - must buy, although using retaliation zartan body is a bit strange decision on Hasbro
 Urban Ninja – must buy. Also, they should have made a night creeper leader already (using hard master as a head would be nice)

elmobfaelnar15
07-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Zombie Invasion again, if they made this into a 7 pack ill buy….in multiples. In single pack this will be a hard thing to swallow. A definite 50/50 – meh in my book if they go this road.
 Mutant Zombie
 Toxo-Zombie
 Zombie Cobra Shock Trooper
 Zombie Cobra Viper
 Zombie Echo Faction Trooper
 Zombie Ninja
 Zombie Steel Brigade
 Zombie Viper
If this is the case they should have incorporated the characters from Eco-Warriors in this line. Ozone and the gang are perfect protagonist for this group, led by Airtight (which they could use as a base body). If they made it this way ill buy!!!
 Zombie Storm Shadow – must buy. This is soo much like an alternate white darth vader figure
 Zombie Cobra Commander – cool…must buy

elmobfaelnar15
07-04-2012, 04:34 AM
its a pity that these are all concept figures.such a shame. but atleast the ultimate retaliation figures are awesome. It makes my decision not to buy the first wave much more acceptable :D

Lava Boss
07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Scarrviper] The club also just loves to tease people with their subscription figures that at this point will probably end up cancelled (I know they won't be, but it's getting ridiculous at this point). [/QUOTE]

Some people are guessing the subscription figures will be $30 each. That would not be shocking that this point.

Between retail distribution and exclusives, action figure collecting has actually somehow gotten worse that I ever thought it could.

Reverend Blood
07-04-2012, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Lava Boss]Some people are guessing the subscription figures will be $30 each. That would not be shocking that this point.

Between retail distribution and exclusives, action figure collecting has actually somehow gotten worse that I ever thought it could.[/QUOTE]

The 2 pack was $75 at the con, for two figures, bringing it to $37.50 per figure. When asked about the price of the subscription service they said they couldn't comment because the price of figure production may rise between now and actual production of the subscription service. I know i talk a lot of smack about the club... but if the cost of production raises the price to more than $40 per figure that's just a whole lot of re-friggin-diculous. I know there will still be collectors that pay for it, but it's starting to feel like the club is alienating some members, but recouping the lost profits from those with the ability to pay the inflated prices.

Scarrviper
07-04-2012, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Lava Boss]Some people are guessing the subscription figures will be $30 each. That would not be shocking that this point.

Between retail distribution and exclusives, action figure collecting has actually somehow gotten worse that I ever thought it could.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Collecting vintage collection Star Wars figures has been a royal pain this year. The only new figure past the worthless phantom menace wave that I've found at retail is a lone Kithaba at walmart. Every other single new figure I've wanted this year I've had to order online.

figureware
07-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I just cant stand the club and con exclusives. they have always been a bummer :mad: The club exclusives need to be better for the money! The VvV Jinx was one of my favorite figs...they screwed her up! I cant figure out why the BBTS sets were $50 and the con sets are $300 and they are the same type of product? Its really starting to get to be a bummer with so many exclusives! I would think being a memeber of the club would mean you get a figure for free and you get the opportunity to buy a few rare figs and a reasonable price...instead they rape you on charges alienate casual buyers and continue to be a helper to the destruction of the toy line!

troopsofdoom
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Lava Boss]Night landing seems neat, but it's still just a little boat, the kind every knock-off line made their own version of.[/QUOTE]
It is just a little boat but I love it. Something I wanted as a kid but missed out on. I'm more excited about the Night Landing than if they were releasing the Flagg. (Did I just hear someone scream "Blasphemy!"?) I can't wait to take pictures of it in the brook. I hope they do a Joe repaint too.

[QUOTE=figureware]I think rehashing old figures is starting to wear on Hasbro as well.[/QUOTE]
I agree. What was awesome about GI Joe when I was a kid was every wave was almost all new characters. There was always something new to get. Since returning to GI Joe with the 25A, they've been reissuing the same stuff over and over again. I have no use for forty versions of any character.

[QUOTE=pbarny1701]Sure, but when the re-order those exact same case assortments, put it all out, and how is it going to be different from any other movie line not named Star Wars?[/QUOTE]
That's a crappy way to launch the line but should get new stuff relatively soon. I read it'll be smaller numbers, just what's leftover in the warehouses from what they put out now.

[QUOTE=Scarrviper]It seems to me like for the past 4-5 years (maybe longer than that) the people in charge of the joe department have no idea about the potential the brand has.[/QUOTE]
Yup. The designers make some cool stuff but the people that decide what's going to be released have been making some poor decisions. With the internet they have the opportunity to ask fans what they want. Put a poll up on the web. "We designed twenty figures, pick your favorite ten to be released."

[QUOTE=Lava Boss]Between retail distribution and exclusives, action figure collecting has actually somehow gotten worse that I ever thought it could.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I hate exclusives, especially exclusive boxsets. It's hard enough to get retail figures.

[QUOTE=Reverend Blood]The 2 pack was $75 at the con, for two figures, bringing it to $37.50 per figure. When asked about the price of the subscription service they said they couldn't comment because the price of figure production may rise between now and actual production of the subscription service. I know i talk a lot of smack about the club... but if the cost of production raises the price to more than $40 per figure that's just a whole lot of re-friggin-diculous. I know there will still be collectors that pay for it, but it's starting to feel like the club is alienating some members, but recouping the lost profits from those with the ability to pay the inflated prices.[/QUOTE]
I wish the club would sell single figures to anyone. I think that would increase sales, which would lower production costs, which could lower the figure prices, which would increase sales...

[QUOTE=Scarrviper]Every other single new figure I've wanted this year I've had to order online.[/QUOTE]
I'd order online if quality control was better. I don't get figures anymore without seeing them first.