PDA

View Full Version : To Helmet, or not to Helmet....

ender098
01-16-2007, 09:48 AM
I was just reading a review of some pre-production wave 4 DTC figures on Joe Battlelines and Fred and Justin (well one of them) said the didn't like figures without removable helmets. What are your thoughts?

I have to say after thinking about it, I would prefer all figures have removable helmets.

Sonneilon
01-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I prefer removable if done right. They must've been picking on Airtight and Munitia.

Stormer
01-16-2007, 10:42 AM
For Joes, I'd say I prefer removable helmets. Especially after seeing most of them bare-headed in the cartoons and comics. It depends how it's done -- if a removable helmet makes their head look too big with it on, I'd rather have a sculpted helmet-head so they look cooler in action (which is how they'd be used most).

Cobra troop-types, I'm less bothered. The DTC Cobra Troopers, Snow Serpents and Range Vipers are cool for their helmets/masks but really if they'd not had that feature it wouldn't have been any great loss. The individual characters again can have a bit of depth from having a more "casual" look but moulded helmets, masks, etc do give them a harder edge and make them more scary if you can't see their vulnerable, "human" faces.

I'd imagine the main issue people have with Munitia is that having a permanent hat stops her looking like Mistress Armada from the comics despite pretty much copying her colour scheme. I'm more annoyed that this implies Hasbro had no intention of doing a "proper" Armada figure, which also throws doubt on the possibility of other DDP characters. If they were even going to release any more figures at all...!

Red Sox
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]I have to say after thinking about it, I would prefer all figures have removable helmets.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree with you. I love removable helmets. It's kind of a bummer that so many figures have permanent helmets, especially in the original line. Guys like Airtight, Barbecue, and even Mainframe will always be stuck with headgear. :(

The Faceless Master
01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Removable hats, removable helmets ~ i am all for it

most of my customized figures ie Shockwave, Sci-Fi, Muskrat
all have headswaps to accomodate this NEED of mine

ToneGunsRevisited
01-16-2007, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]I prefer removable if done right.[/QUOTE]
That's the key word.

rds13601
01-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Hasbro Really Drives Me Nuts!! In The Valor Vs. Venom 3 Packs With The Original Joes, Rock And Roll, Short Fuze, Hawk, And Some Others Like Dragonsky Don't Come With Helmets. Munitia Should Have Been A Paige Adams Figure. Her Helmet Should Be Removable.. When Someone Throws Down The Money To Buy These Figures, Hasbro Should Give Them Their Money's Worth And Let The Buyer Have All The Bells And Whistles. Snarf

Lava Boss
01-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Depends on the figure and how the helmet looks.

Like with Star Wars...I don't see the need for removable helmet clones and stormtroopers who never removed them in the films. It doesn't look as good, paint rubs off the head, and used figures in the future are likely to be missing helmets.

I could've done without the removable helmet feature on the crimson guards they made, while a cool idea, it wound up looking worse than the 1985 release. And what's under the helmet...is it Fred from the comics?...no, just a masked generic face.

ender098
01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=Lava Boss]Depends on the figure and how the helmet looks.

Like with Star Wars...I don't see the need for removable helmet clones and stormtroopers who never removed them in the films. It doesn't look as good, paint rubs off the head, and used figures in the future are likely to be missing helmets.

I could've done without the removable helmet feature on the crimson guards they made, while a cool idea, it wound up looking worse than the 1985 release. And what's under the helmet...is it Fred from the comics?...no, just a masked generic face.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, another point! What is the use of having a helmet on a cobra troop if when you take it off, there's a mask underneath? (Like the Coils, Crimson guard and Shadow Guard) I can understand the mask-within-a-mask for Cobra Commander, he's the exception to the rule, but the C.L.A.W.S. Commander, WTF? He looks like TrapJaw from He-Man. Great Concept, LOUSY Execution! If the bottom part of his helmet came off, I'd like the figure more!

Outrider
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned, removable helmets/hats are a must. The more the better. It gives the figure a lot more possibilities when being photographed, whether for a diostory or a one-shot.

Sonneilon
01-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually, with the comic packs, it was dependent on them IN the comic. If Short Fuze or RnR didnt' wear helmets in the story, they wouldn't need a helmet for the toy. Kinda like how Dragonsky didn't have a helmet in the comic pack, he didn't wear one in the story, right?

Self-Modifier
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
As others have said, I prefer removable IF it doesn't lead to Dinky Head Syndrome (DHS), or Giant Helmet/Hat Syndrome (GHS).

Ranger_22
01-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I like removeable helmets only if it fits and stays on and easy to take off. And that the fig doesn't have a weird lookin head sculpt. Same views as you guys!