PDA

View Full Version : Toys 'R Art

80s Child
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
If you search the 10 greatest paintings of all time, it comes back with 9 different artist that make the list (daVinci gets 2 spots). I think that really says something cool about how there are so many different styles that can be considered as "great"!
You have:
Botticelli
Monet
Rembrandt
Munch
Picasso
Michelangelo
Vermeer
Van Gogh
DaVinci

Then there are other greats who also made their unique contributions to the world that didn't make this list, like Seurat, Cezanne, Renoir, Raphael, Rubens, Dali, Klimt, and Pollock. They all had their own unique voice and point of view, so that even though they all lived in the same world, they saw it (& then painted it) so differently. It's the closest thing there was (closer than books even?) to being able to see someone else's thoughts.

You can go into MOMA or really any museum and see awesome painting after awesome painting hanging next to each other, but usually verrrry different :) Which is cool! You can see a zany Picasso next to a technically sound daVinci next to a soft colorful Monet, then back to a wacky almost 'careless' Pollock. It's like an art stew with all kinds of ingredients making up something very filling.

& that's what I like about coming to look in virtual museums of sorts, because to me, pictures of our childhood toys are art. It's just done with cameras instead of brushes, and the artists are "painting" what they know, it's just that what we know is G.I.Joe & Cobra instead of what the artists listed above knew back in their times. I love scrolling through virtual galleries to see what the latest "exhibits" are and what this artist or that artist just did that's new!

Viva la difference!!

TwoOneEight
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Well said, brother!

I like Ansel Adams myself, as well as Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre.

Vive la difference!

80s Child
02-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks Bud! :)

Yeah! AA's crisp southwest landscapes were so perfect, it doesn't even seem like a HUMAN took those. :cool: The Moonrise is a classic! & Daguerre was such a brilliant pioneer on the technical side of things at the very beginning of the game, who knows, if he hadn't been so passionate....we owe him a lot!

dantedmc37
02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Dang 80's that was a cultured post! :)
I don't really know my fine artists too well :o
I didn't have a Mr.Fazio to guide me through the art world :D
But I can appreciate what your feeling!
I do love the Joe artists on this site and it's cool seeing what everybody comes up with! :)

80s Child
02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks D!

The names & specifics don't really matter so much as the sentiment - which is that it's great to see a wide variety of styles of Joe-Art to always keep us guessing :)