PDA

View Full Version : CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM initiative

troopsofdoom
01-31-2012, 11:25 PM
It's been mentioned numerous times that JoeDios lacks constructive criticism. I agree, I would like to get some real critiques on my photos. I've also been reluctant to leave it because you never know who really wants it or can actually handle it. I have an idea to get the ball rolling for those who want to participate. At the end of each photo description simply add:

Constructive criticism please. (Or just CCP.)

This will indicate that you are open to all criticisms down to the smallest detail from any member.

Constructive criticism needs to be more than saying you don't like something or that it's wrong. Include advice on how it can be improved or fixed. That's the constructive part.

No signups. Purely optional, anyone can participate. Members can join in or stop at any time by adding, or not adding, CCP to their photo description.

-----

What does everyone think? It's simple enough that it could work.

pbarny1701
01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
I'd welcome it for what little I post.

Saying nice job is meaningless. Nice job of what?

If a picture is blurry, and you say work on focus, work on focus how? If you can't say more than 4 words and the person's name, why bother?

zedhatch
02-01-2012, 07:57 AM
I'll give it a shot.

Flatline
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Sounds good add it to all my previous shots LOL ;)

battlewagon
02-03-2012, 01:35 AM
I like this idea. JoeDios is my favorite website because members treat each other with respect and appropriate language. In other forums, I've seen all kinds of disgusting, repulsive, offensive, sickening and negative criticism.

I embrace positive feedback and constructive criticism. I just hope that people uphold the principles of leaving appropriate constructive criticism that doesn't bully, offend, discourage, or degrade.

Based on my own experience, I have already dealt with at least two website forums where people treat each other like dirt. Thankfully, I don't plan on ever returning to those websites. :)

yorktownjoe
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I like this, because I have received photography help and tips from others. I have also become more picky about my own photos (especially with lighting and focus).

For example, I was told early on how to bounce light off another surface (like white card-stock) to cast indirect lighting on a subject rather than direct lighting. The fellow member mentioned this would help me to minimize glare in an over-exposed photo I had posted.

Since then I have experimented with all kinds of lighting tricks in order to improve lighting. I have appreciated the help of others with photography, special effects and other set and background ideas.

A good rule: "Take advice from those who care; take no offense when none is intended."

Nekoman
02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
The only thing I don't like is having to specifically ask for constructive criticism.I mean, there's always room to improve, but if you specifically ask for criticism, people will dig for something to point to rather than leave their natural impressions. You would be asking for such a response, after all. Likewise, without asking for it, people are still afraid to give their natural impressions which may include criticism.

The site here needs something, but I'm just not sure what. I do like the push here for constructive criticism, I just can't imagine it getting us far in bringing up the quality on the poorer pics on the site. Hope that doesn't sound like a downer.

troopsofdoom
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=Nekoman]The only thing I don't like is having to specifically ask for constructive criticism.I mean, there's always room to improve, but if you specifically ask for criticism, people will dig for something to point to rather than leave their natural impressions. You would be asking for such a response, after all. Likewise, without asking for it, people are still afraid to give their natural impressions which may include criticism.

The site here needs something, but I'm just not sure what. I do like the push here for constructive criticism, I just can't imagine it getting us far in bringing up the quality on the poorer pics on the site. Hope that doesn't sound like a downer.[/QUOTE]
I think asking for constructive criticism is the only way it's gonna happen because even the out of focus pictures of figures stuck on a display stand on the kitchen counter get "great shot" comments. If those of us who want to improve participate and set a positive example, maybe the people just starting out and the low-quality contributors will want to join in and step up their game. Those of us who want the quality standards to rise need to lead by example.

savage21
02-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I will do what I can, shouldnt be too hard

Dreadnok Dread
02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=troopsofdoom]I think asking for constructive criticism is the only way it's gonna happen because even the out of focus pictures of figures stuck on a display stand on the kitchen counter get "great shot" comments. If those of us who want to improve participate and set a positive example, maybe the people just starting out and the low-quality contributors will want to join in and step up their game. Those of us who want the quality standards to rise need to lead by example.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=7][COLOR=Black]Those of us who want the quality standards to rise need to lead by example.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Took the words right out of my mouth! :)
count all of my shots for sure!

dantedmc37
02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I try to stay positive. I always complement the parts I like. Usually if I don't mention something than it might not be that good.
I mean if your shots are blurry come on, you need somebody to tell you that?
The very least you can do is take a clear pic's. You know if their blurry or not before you post them.
I would avoid cell phone pic's too if you can help it.
Other than that I really don't see many problems I feel the need to address.
For the most part everybody takes cool pic's! :D

80s Child
02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=dantedmc37]I try to stay positive. I always complement the parts I like. Usually if I don't mention something than it might not be that good.
I mean if your shots are blurry come on, you need somebody to tell you that?
The very least you can do is take a clear pic's. You know if their blurry or nor before you post them.
I would avoid cell phone pic's too if you can help it.
Other than that I really don't see many problems I feel the need to address.
For the most part everybody takes cool pic's! :D[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything Dante said here. To paraphrase, as long as it's in focus, and no unintentional household items are in frame like a cup of coffee just sitting next to a H.I.S.S. tank - then I think it sort of becomes artistic license once the basic technical criteria are met.

fled74
02-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I use a cell phone camera for all my shots. Sure, it's a 12-megapixel one, but still... :)

dantedmc37
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=fled74]I use a cell phone camera for all my shots. Sure, it's a 12-megapixel one, but still... :)[/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm sorry I shouldn't have even added that. Rock that cell phone cam!
People can work wonders with anything they have! The last thing I meant to do is discourage anybody from having fun and participating in the hobby! Like I said blurry pic's aren't fun to look at but anything else is cool! :cool:

80s Child
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=dantedmc37]Dude, I'm sorry I shouldn't have even added that. Rock that cell phone cam!
People can work wonders with anything they have! The last thing I meant to do is discourage anybody from having fun and participating in the hobby! Like I said blurry pic's aren't fun to look at but anything else is cool! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Let me just add real quick that I assume what was meant about the whole cell-phone bit (and not to speak for anybody) is that to me and maybe others you might sometimes equate cell-phone pictures with rushing because they are designed to be used on the fly and therefore a blurry result can happen if you are in a hurry, but if you take your time and hold your hand steady (which you obviously do, cuz those 1/6 Scarlett photos were crisp! :) ) and with the quality of some of the phones out there these days---- like Dante said people can work wonders with all kinds of cameras. And I know that Dante is the last guy who'd be an elite-ist about this sort of stuff. The last.

Take me for instance - I use a Canon PowerShot A1000IS, but even with that I had a blurry post of my 1982 Grunt taking a snooze on a scale-porch-swing that wasn't that fun to look at - but it wasn't the camera - it was "user error" :o I was just in a hurry that day and didn't take my time.....

lardman
02-12-2012, 06:37 AM
I wonder if it would be worth doing a tutorial or a "tips and tricks" sticky to aid those starting out by giving them ideas on what looks good (and bad), how to frame shots and choose a background, what do do if you only have a low res/non-auto-focus camera, etc.

So it might show problems with figures being out of focus, and ways of avoiding that problem (e.g. if you have autofocus and your shot doesn't have much for the camera to focus on in the foreground, try focusing on something at the same distance and then panning across before taking the shot; for a camera without autofocus work out the best focal distance and place your layout there; for autofocus but no control, make sure you have lots of items at the same distance to ensure you get everything in focus).

Same could go for framing shots, and perhaps give ideas of what makes interesting shots - i.e. not just a figure on a stand on the kitchen table (unless you are just showing a WIP), e.g. use a vehicle (or three), more figures, go outside (water is always cool, or snow, or foliage, or sand, etc., etc.)

80s Child
02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=lardman]I wonder if it would be worth doing a tutorial or a "tips and tricks" sticky to aid those starting out by giving them ideas on what looks good (and bad), how to frame shots and choose a background, what do do if you only have a low res/non-auto-focus camera, etc.

So it might show problems with figures being out of focus, and ways of avoiding that problem (e.g. if you have autofocus and your shot doesn't have much for the camera to focus on in the foreground, try focusing on something at the same distance and then panning across before taking the shot; for a camera without autofocus work out the best focal distance and place your layout there; for autofocus but no control, make sure you have lots of items at the same distance to ensure you get everything in focus).

Same could go for framing shots, and perhaps give ideas of what makes interesting shots - i.e. not just a figure on a stand on the kitchen table (unless you are just showing a WIP), e.g. use a vehicle (or three), more figures, go outside (water is always cool, or snow, or foliage, or sand, etc., etc.)[/QUOTE]

You have some good ideas there lardman - and well presented! :)
The field-of-focus tips are good and I also like getting out in the elements like snow & rain & sun to use the best backdrop IMO - nature. It also makes me feel like I'm 7 or 8 again playing with them too and not just photographing them.

Also your idea to put vehicles in is good too - adds something else to look at and make it feel more real - like it explains how the Joes got to that spot in the desert or wherever. The more intricate a pic looks, probably the more likely somebody with only limited free time will be to stop and click on the thumbnail to see all of what is going on in the picture, so then more people will look at your hard work and see your good ideas.

It's cool to share 'tips & tricks', it's like dumping all the groceries onto the table, then people can come along and just grab this or that and make whatever "photo-meal" they want from all the available "advice-ingredients". :)

Reverend Blood
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
My pictures are pretty crappy, sorry. I just like taking them. If they suck, tell me they suck. I can get better on my own, but I'll get better faster with help.

troopsofdoom
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
I was happy to get critiques on posing, accessories and location for my last photo. I'm all about the details and everything helps.

I see a few people say the want constructive criticism in this thread but Nekoman is the only member I've seen ask for it in their photo descriptions. (Although I don't look at every photo.) Have people changed their minds about doing it? Like I said in the original post, it's voluntary, I'm just surprised no one else seems interested.

TwoOneEight
03-22-2012, 02:55 PM
1) Be good to each other. You can agree, you can disagree, and you can agree to disagree but don't get personal about it. We're all friends here, and we're all fans so let's just leave it at that.

2) Swearing is not allowed in any post in the forums or when replying to pictures. This includes the description area of your picture(s). IF your picture and/or dio has swearing, fine. Please keep in mind that we wish this to be a PG/PG13 sort of site. If you have a ton of swearing in a dio, please try and post a warning as a courtesy.

3) Absolutely no sniping and personal attacks on any member. If there is a problem between board members, take it somewhere else.

4) Blatant trolling. I'll be blunt on this one-- I don't care if you post links to features/reviews/dios/etc at other sites. What I do care about are people who only pop up to promote their site and don't otherwise contribute to the community in any way. This is "trolling for traffic" and I think it's a pretty sleazy thing to do. If you want to post links to your own sites/customs/work/etc, that's great and I encourage it! However, just don't show up to promote yourself and then leave.

5) Enjoy yourself. It’s a place to share stories and images w/ people who have the same interest. It’s great that we have a place like this.

The "order of battle" for disciplinary action around here.

If anyone is found consistently and intentionally violating the spirit of the rules above, the following steps will be taken:

1) Written warning. Either via email or PM you'll be hearing from me with one of those "Cut the crap!" messages. Hopefully this will be enough-- otherwise we move to...

2) Banning. I've seen too many boards grow "out of control" because some people can't remember to respect others. I won't tolerate that here-- ever. Anyone who consistently decides that they can do whatever they want will have to do so elsewhere.

BTW…

If you feel the need to disrespect other board members, make blatant insults, etc, your posts are subject to a bit of an edit. However, you'll know the reasons for the edit and everyone will be able to see that the post has been altered.

By the by...

You want a 1-way ticket to getting banned w/ no warnings?

1. Steal pics from another site, post them here and say they are yours.

It's one thing to post your own stuff. It's another thing to post someone's stuff with their permission. (ie; hosting pics on your own account and posting it for the public) But taking a pic from another site and posting 'em, that's a no-no no matter where you're from.

2. Racism in any form.

and

comments on pics should ALWAYS be honest and polite...........if you find something that looks a bit 'off', a 'gentle' suggestion should be offered. Nothing like 'that pic sucks' or 'I hate that it's stupid' or along those lines.......

Don't sell yourself short on your own pics either! Let's be honest, YOU should know if a picture is 'decent'.......look at it this way, are you proud of what you did? Or are you doing it so you can say to your friends 'look what I crapped out and took a picture of!'? Time and patience will show through your pics all by themselves. And if you get frustrated, don't be afraid to ASK!

Now I don't expect everyone to be able to take the same level of pics, it depends on so many things....camera, speed, surroundings, theme and the most important part........each individual!! Again, it all boils down to each person taking pride in what they are doing..........I mean it is your name attached to each shot!

So, take time and have patience...and just follow your mother's advice 'be respectful'...everyone can benefit from something and you'll be churning out brillant work in no time!!!

And

Some of the newer folks might NOT remember this particular ruling, but the JD has a 3-picture posting limit.

Either space 'em out or if you are trying to tell a story, sometimes it's best to host the shots yourself and make a post in the forum. I am deleting random shots if you are over the 3-shots in a row limit. Please try and let others post too.

lehsreh
03-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I welcome any kind of criticism. I need it to make my dio stories better. If I'm going to do them, I want them to be as good as can be.

savage21
03-23-2012, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=lehsreh]I welcome any kind of criticism. I need it to make my dio stories better. If I'm going to do them, I want them to be as good as can be.[/QUOTE]
I agree only for me its how to do my pictures better period.

Trench-Viper
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
My pictures got a lot better after I had a couple of conversations about how I could improve them. There is a lot of knowledge out here on the boards.