PDA

View Full Version : Any of u have GI Joes or Cobras go MIA?

savage21
12-01-2011, 08:58 AM
So far in my dio expereriences I have been fortunate to only have a few go MIA which later was labled KIA because they were never found.... Here is my list and last known Location, I am doing this to honor thier sacrifices......

Name (serise or detail) Last known Location
Heavy Duty (dark Green GI Joe VS. Cobra) Neighbors garden
Sgt. Hacker (spytroops) Best friends house when we played GI Joes a long time ago
Snake Eyes (VvsV) Best friends cabin when we played GI Joes a long time ago
Countdown (ARAH) Godfathers Pizza

newest MIA
Big Ben (Road Rebel Driver) Bowling Alley Desert or Ridgewater College
Chuckles (V1) Bowling alley moutain range

What about you guys do you have any Joes or Cobras go MIA?

80s Child
12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Excellent thread idea!

I have a few:

1982 Grunt
1982 Rock & Roll
1982 Breaker
1983 Short-Fuze

These four (along with 1983 Steeler, who I still have, but sans waist piece and with a broken torso screw "port") were my first 5 Joes. The above 4 got lost over the years in and/or around my parent's house. I have since "replaced" those 4.

savage21
12-01-2011, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=80s Child]Excellent thread idea!

I have a few:

1982 Grunt
1982 Rock & Roll
1982 Breaker
1983 Short-Fuze

These four (along with 1983 Steeler, who I still have, but sans waist piece and with a broken torso screw "port") were my first 5 Joes. The above 4 got lost over the years in and/or around my parent's house. I have since "replaced" those 4.[/QUOTE]

Thank u for reminding me I replaced the top 4 figures (countdown was replaced by different version of him)

TwoOneEight
12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
all my original Joes, Cobras and vehicles I donated to some kid at a halfway house/homeless shelter in San Diego before I joined the Navy in '87.

I'm sure they were well played with. And I'm sure the kid had some Joes/Cobras go MIA on him. :)

Once, in '85, I lost Roadblock's Ma Deuce at a friend's house in North Hollywood, CA. :(

Good times, man. Good times. :)

yorktownjoe
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
[font=Tahoma][size=3]My original Recondo had his waist piece go MIA/KIA when over at my friend's house. His little brother tossed Recondo into the air, where he struck the ceiling and came down, shall we say, "neutered." Of course that was 1985, so time has passed.[/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][size=3]More troubling is the loss of my Snow Cat. I had two, both of them works in progress, and one is completely missing. I had taken some pictures with it and then I have never been able to find it since.[/size][/font]
[font=Tahoma][size=3][/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][size=3]Bummer, on both counts.[/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][size=3]Other times I have been happy to have Joes turn up in unusual places after being MIA for a while.[/size][/font]

[font=Tahoma][size=3]But I have two sons, and a memory that is not as good as it once was...lol. I like to blame my own mind rather than the sons...[/size][/font]

roguetiger
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I've had a few go missing.......
Quick Kick
82 Scarlett (SA)
and a few others I can't recall....
vehicles.....
Night Raven
Tomahawk
DragonFly
Air Defense Station
Flak

probably all in the very same tote/box... :(

replaced all the vehicles except the Night Raven

savage21
12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
This is a good tread lets keep it going.

troopsofdoom
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I had three or four vintage GI Joe puzzles that were in my parents attic, now MIA. They had some really cool artwork. They say never seen them but I suspect the puzzles ended up at a flea market like a lot of my other stuff when I moved away. They could have at least given me a cut of the profits. :rolleyes:

Scarrviper
12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I've had a few figures go missing. My v1 thrasher was gone for about a year, and I found him a couple days ago, but his legs are now missing! I've also stumbled across figures
I forgot I had.

Arvachu
12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Name: Countdown, Last known location: My grandparents back yard

We were spinning him around on that string on his backpack and he went flying I never saw him again...

The BATman
12-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I had about twenty figures as a kid, and never lost any of them. I did lose some weapons and parts, though :

- the green helmet of Hawk v2 : lost in the garden when scrambling to get all my Joes out of a sudden rain (I still hope I'll find it in my parent's garden someday; I once found a marble there I lost years earlier...)

- the gun of Hawk v2 : presumed stolen by a friend who came to play and who asked -only days before it got lost- whether he could have it

- the gun of Alley-Viper : lost in the garden during heated battle; looked for it for hours, combing through the grass, didn't find it; my mother found it by accident a few days later, two meters from the area where I thought I lost it

- the antenna of Desert Fox : snapped and stayed behind when the Desert Fox emerged from the bushes in which it was hiding; never found again between the countless thin brown twigs of those bushes

Odd how someone can still remember stupid little things like that, twenty years later...

80s Child
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=The BATman]Odd how someone can still remember stupid little things like that, twenty years later...[/QUOTE]

I had this sweet die-cast 6-shooter ring cap pistol (cowboy style) and it had great weight to it - felt like a "real" gun, whereas most cap guns felt fake. So one birthday - maybe I was 9 or 10 I had 4 friends over and we went on an "army mission" in the snow and my one friend asked if he could play with that gun for the mission - I said sure and then after we came in and got out of our wet snow-suits (it was February) somehow in the confusion I forgot to get it back from him. Don't know if he stole it or it got lost out in the "field" or if he took it home by mistake or what - I still remember that gun - and here's the kicker - 25 years later, the first house my wife and I bought is 3 houses down from his and his wife's house in a town that neither one of us grew up in - and we haven't really spoke since we were kids......

Talk about odd....

yorktownjoe
12-03-2011, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Arvachu]Name: Countdown, Last known location: My grandparents back yard

We were spinning him around on that string on his backpack and he went flying I never saw him again...[/QUOTE]

[size=3]I'm sorry for your loss, but I really did just laugh out loud...[/size]

savage21
12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I am sorry for all of your guy's losses in the field. I appreciate everyone opening up.

acmillerjr
12-04-2011, 12:54 PM
This is a painful thread for me. My entire shoebox of Joes, save maybe 8-10 figures, MIA from my parent's house circa 1995ish. When I see O-ring photos with figs from 82 to 92, usually I say to myself "I had that guy! Dammit!" -*tear. I.E. I loved the O Ring Stalker with the Kayak and muddy boots-gone for good. Night Force everyone-gone. :(
Oh well. Thank you Hasbro for giving me another chance. I have everyone (pretty much) in 25th, ROC, POC etc. that I once had as Oring :o

savage21
12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I have the forums, internet, and my next store neighbor to thank for getting alot of them back. I still miss the ones that got away.

vader9900
12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
My entire Vintage Collection.

savage21
12-04-2011, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=vader9900]My entire Vintage Collection.
Ok im going to be that guy.....
HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??????

savage21
12-04-2011, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=savage21]So far in my dio expereriences I have been fortunate to only have a few go MIA which later was labled KIA because they were never found.... Here is my list and last known Location, I am doing this to honor thier sacrifices......

Name (serise or detail) Last known Location
Heavy Duty (dark Green GI Joe VS. Cobra) Neighbors garden
Sgt. Hacker (spytroops) Best friends house when we played GI Joes a long time ago
Snake Eyes (VvsV) Best friends cabin when we played GI Joes a long time ago
Countdown (ARAH) Godfathers Pizza

newest MIA
Big Ben (Road Rebel Driver) Bowling Alley Desert or Ridgewater College
Chuckles (V1) Bowling alley moutain range
Order went missing the same day as Chuckles and I'm sure he's not under my bed as I already looked lol

What about you guys do you have any Joes or Cobras go MIA?[/QUOTE]

I have some good news
Chuckles has been found he was under my bed LOL

seyms
12-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Great thread!

Hmm...A piece of Tiger Force Outback's crotch (oo-er!) snapped off and went missing as I was selling it alongside TF Blizzard. I sold Outback for slightly less that day. A sad day :-(

pallidmask
12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
When I was about 17 or so, I loaned my entire ARAH collection, 1982-1990, to my little cousin. After a while, I decided to be charitable and tell him he could keep it. He was pretty excited and I'm sure he got a lot of play out of it, so I guess it was worth it.

Naturally, when I got into collecting toys a few decades later, I winced a bit. After searching through a few bins of my old toys, all I came up with was a Captain Gridiron helmet, one of Darklon's lower legs, and a few assorted missiles. I do still have the Joe HQ and my MOBAT, which I think were already in storage by the time I gave my Joes away.

I have since replaced a handful of my old favorites and picked up ME versions of a lot of the others, but I still kind of wish some of them were the Joes I had actually played with as a kid. Still, though, the hunt for the replacements has been fun, so I'm come to terms with it.

(Oh, I do still have one figure, who in some ways is one of the most important: my very first custom figure, Imp. Imp was the result of a horrific Cobra experiment in teleportation gone wrong. Horribly disfigured and driven mad by Cobra's nefarious experiments, Imp escaped and became a quixotic ally to the Joes with an uncanny knack of teleporting in to the rescue just when their backs were against the wall. I have since restored Imp to his former glory and I've been contemplating tracking down the parts to do a ME version as well!)

TwoOneEight
12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=pallidmask](Oh, I do still have one figure, who in some ways is one of the most important: my very first custom figure, Imp. Imp was the result of a horrific Cobra experiment in teleportation gone wrong. Horribly disfigured and driven mad by Cobra's nefarious experiments, Imp escaped and became a quixotic ally to the Joes with an uncanny knack of teleporting in to the rescue just when their backs were against the wall. I have since restored Imp to his former glory and I've been contemplating tracking down the parts to do a ME version as well!)[/QUOTE]
Good story, dude.
Good luck in putting together an updated version of Imp.
Post some before/after pics when you're done. :)

@Savage - This IS a really good thread, man.

savage21
12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=TwoOneEight]Good story, dude.
Good luck in putting together an updated version of Imp.
Post some before/after pics when you're done. :)

@Savage - This IS a really good thread, man.[/QUOTE]
Thank u I am supprised no one else started this topic lol

Lt. Faceless
12-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I've had more go MIA than i could think of.I've had over a 100 ARAH joes when i was a kid....i have none now.The creek and woods were my #1 killer.

neapolitan joe
12-07-2011, 03:29 AM
[QUOTE=Lt. Faceless]I've had more go MIA than i could think of.I've had over a 100 ARAH joes when i was a kid....i have none now.The creek and woods were my #1 killer.[/QUOTE]

100 M.I.A.s!? You were a bad General!
:D

TwoOneEight
12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=vader9900]My entire Vintage Collection.

@vadr 9900 - still got some to sell? i'd like to see what you got.

Flatline
12-09-2011, 10:38 AM
My entire collection was in an army ammo cache in my front yard (I know I was a Kid) and when I came back from school BAM!!! gone

zedhatch
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I had to think on this a while, I know I've had figs disappear but I can usually track them back down where I left them. I can't think of one time I had a perminat MIA on my hands. My one exception might be when I was younger and some kid broke into my house and grabbed some random figs, but I was able to replace them in a few short years, so nothing terrible there.

Guns, that's a different story.

vader9900
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=TwoOneEight]@vadr 9900 - still got some to sell? i'd like to see what you got.[/QUOTE]
Just sold my last 4 last week. I now own 0.

yorktownjoe
12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=zedhatch]Guns, that's a different story.[/QUOTE]

My Zartan's v.1 laser pistol got pretty badly dismembered in a one time dispute with mom's vacuum cleaner.

Vac = 1, Pistol = 0.

My children are now 10 and 8. The following took place when they were 4 and 1ish. My v1 Zartan was out being played with by my older son, and he left him on the floor. My younger son must have found him.

He was found amputated just above the knee with no sign of the lower leg. Crotch also broken. (I really hope he didn't EAT the leg.) :eek:

Do not fret...I have a good v1 Zartan from eBay, but MY Zartan of MY youth suffered a terrible fate. I believe he now is permanently transforming into Tripwire through the right leg... lol I can laugh now, but not at the time.

And my sons are excellent with Joes right now...but they never remember to pick them up.

Rambo
12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
1986 BAT: A "friend" of mine stealed it from me. My second figure was lost. I still dont know who the m*ther f*ck*r was.

1987 Outback: In a night operation, I threw my Outback in a custom parachute from a third floor. His fly was excellent, BUT misteriously enough he never "landed" according to my cousin... :mad: At his hands I "lost" a Destro minifigure too :mad:

sithviper
12-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I have lost many figures as a kid. These two stories stick out the most.

I was playing with my Joes at a friends house, i forget why but he tossed my V2 Cobra Commander (Hooded) up in the air and it landed in the house's gutter. We tried to get the figure out, everything we tried failed. I don't know why we didn't just use a ladder. :rolleyes: Unfortunately I had to go home before we rescued CC. He promised he would retrieve it and get it back to me. I never saw that figure again. :(

I was in the basement and I think I was supposed to be cleaning up my things. I was taking a "break" and I was playing with my Sci-Fi V1 when I was called to have dinner. So I put down and went upstairs. I come back a couple of days later he was gone. I found all of his accessories but not the figure. No one in my family claimed reasonably. It was like Sci-Fi got up and walked away :confused: I hope that the odd disappearance and the figure's name is just a coincidence. :eek:

lardman
12-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I had a few, though thankfully all returned rather than KIA.

I remember getting Muskrat and Tiger Force Duke and deciding to test their camouflage on an airfield where my Dad was looking at a plane, In the end we had to search for an hour or so (with me rather distraught) to find them (and iirc Duke was the hardest to find.) Not quite the quick trip out my Dad had envisioned!

I also used to have giant battles in my back garden and on a fair few occasions would realise a couple of days later that I was missing someone or other (normally Falcon, as he was usually off on solo recon and had half reasonable camo). Thankfully those MIA were not consumed by the lawnmower!

The strangest one was loosing v2 SS - I used to go everywhere with him when he was my favourite, including downstairs to the chest freezer in order to get the ice cream out after family meals. As he is a ninja, he would normally be skillful enough to sit atop the freezer lid and then slide down and balance on the lip when I opened it. I must have tipped it too far one day and he slid down the back, and I didn't realise/remember I had had him with me. We headed off to Spain the next day on holiday and I remember spending the entire 2 weeks searching and wondering where I might have lost him there or en-route.

It was probably 3 months later, after we were back, that I happened to glance down the side of the freezer and see him sitting there. I was very happy as by that time SS v2 was definitely out of the shops and it was before the days of ebay (I'd gone so far as to ask my Mum to make some mini clothes for v1 SS onto which I drew the urban camo to make up for the loss).