PDA

View Full Version : a Joedios Chat room on the Site

G.I.*Jock
01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I have been thinking about asking Hammerfel about it being possible to have a chat room on the site, or a link to one hosted elsewhere for our use or something...

What do you all think? Would you use it? I realise a lot of us are spread all over the globe in different time zones, but I think a chat room might be fun?

Whats your thoughts one and all?

Dave

Ranger_22
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
That would be cool!

You have my vote! :)

phu
01-02-2007, 05:00 PM
The problem with a chat app that's actually within the site is almost always bandwidth. It's VERY expensive in terms of transfers to make a chat run well enough that people will not be frustrated with it.

While bandwidth itself has become very cheap, not everyone has a new hosting plan, and not all plans are automatically updated to keep pace with what's currently offered.

I can't speak for Hammerfel, but that's usually the problem. The solution is usually an IRC channel or an AIM room with a constant name (joedios or joedioschat, something like that).

Outrider
01-02-2007, 08:15 PM
That's a thought that has crossed my mind before now, and I think it would be brilliant if we could make it happen! :)

NemesisEnforcerFan
01-03-2007, 04:46 AM
:D [FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=Indigo]I think it's a great idea. It would be interesting to speak to everyone live.. my problem would be leaving.. I'm already addicted to MSN :rolleyes:
so where do I sign up for it?[/COLOR][/FONT] :p

Sonneilon
01-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, GIJOck could strongarm everyone into an msn account and... ;)

G.I.*Jock
01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]Well, GIJOck could strongarm everyone into an msn account and... ;)[/QUOTE]

That's an idea, and would suit Nem, but there may well be limitations with MSN. Besides it might not suit everyone... Hopefully peoples reactions to this thread will tell us what will be best and from there, how it can be implimented.

ender098
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I know a bunch of us have MSN accounts and regularly annoy the hell outta each other...err, I mean get together and chat. If you're lookin for me on MSN, I'm ender098.....

A chat room would be a good idea, but we need to schedule a regular time for everyone to rendevous, because on JoeBattlelines they have like 10,000 members, but if you find more than 4 in chat at any one time, you're doin good!

BTW, what has Hammerfel been up to lately? Haven't heard much from him!

nando
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
good idea have my vote too

Blowtorch
01-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm in just let me know when it's running.

NemesisEnforcerFan
01-04-2007, 12:14 AM
[FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=Indigo]Well you could try MSN.. but I wouldnt advise it. Primarily because when you get busy peak times your constantly rebooted and the windows shut down. And secondly it would be a chat room for this forum.. which mean we would invite all the members.. if a newbie signs up and he's a spammer or just a complete jerk.. once he's in MSN theres no way of enforcing him or removing him from the conversation..
MSN works well as a FREE service.. and it wouldnt even cut into Hammerfels bandwith or anything like that... so that would definately solve those problems.. how you go about enforcing the chat if some newbie decided to ruin it would be another thing entirely.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Blowtorch
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I did at one point think this was a good idea, but I've notice recently that I've tried to IM certain members here who are online, posting messages, PM's and whatever else. Now I know that my work hours may be different than some of you guys. However I tried at different times on different days. Yet no one replies to my IM....I think it's a little rude. Makes me wonder if the chat room would be the same way.
Just my two cents on this.

General Scarlett
04-05-2007, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Blowtorch]I did at one point think this was a good idea, but I've notice recently that I've tried to IM certain members here who are online, posting messages, PM's and whatever else. Now I know that my work hours may be different than some of you guys. However I tried at different times on different days. Yet no one replies to my IM....I think it's a little rude. Makes me wonder if the chat room would be the same way.
Just my two cents on this.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've even gotten your IM address Blowtorch.........I'd chat with you on MSN. Hell, Frank and Jay annoy the shiat outta me regularly..............errrr, ummm I mean...............WE CHAT OFTEN!!!! heheheheheheeheheehe :D :D :p ;) :cool:

Blowtorch
04-05-2007, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=General Scarlett]I don't think I've even gotten your IM address Blowtorch.........I'd chat with you on MSN. Hell, Frank and Jay annoy the shiat outta me regularly..............errrr, ummm I mean...............WE CHAT OFTEN!!!! heheheheheheeheheehe :D :D :p ;) :cool:[/QUOTE]

I actually IM'd you on yahoo this afternoon before I went to work.

General Scarlett
04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=Blowtorch]I actually IM'd you on yahoo this afternoon before I went to work.[/QUOTE]

You did?!?!?!?!? DAMN!!! I didn't get it!!!! Try again tomorrow, 'kay??

Or you can use my MSN id too..........

yorktownjoe
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
This would be great if it were a forum you could log into separately when you logged into the site. The only problem is I use yahoo IM at work (they said they will be getting an "enterprise wide" solution later). If my yahoo is up at home, people might think i'm available at work and starting IMing me thinking I'm in my office and available to help with their problems.

I could select a completely new account, but I noticed system performance issues at home when signed into various IM accounts. The IM is constantly pinging looking for updates at startup and while running and it slowed other process performance. (Even with Road runner and a fairly decent 2 yr old PC.)

I really need to stop checking for PM's during work. This needs to be an after work activity only.... :rolleyes: