PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Con Set

ender098
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Just curious what everyone thinks of the 2011 Con set. I Loved the original "Special Missions Brazil" set. I think they DEFINITELY improved on the '86 set for the following reasons;

1.) NO MORE RED! Loved the different uniforms on the 1986 set, but not very tactical with the bright red!

2.) Mainframe has a Weapon!

3.) Wetsuit..not only is he NOT in a shiny silver wetsuit, but he's land based and looks cool as hell!

4.) Sparta. don't know much about her, but cool female figure!

5.) Cobra De Aco....always wanted one, but the 25th sculpt is way cooler IMHO!

Cons;

1.) Python Troops? Why not jungle Vipers?

2.) Price.

Ok, what's your opinion?

roguetiger
01-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I'd love a Wet-Suit and a Tele-Viper, and a Dial-Tone and thats about it. MAYBE two of the Python Soldiers but yea.....

tycondrius23
01-15-2011, 01:30 AM
I love this set I want it I want it I want it . bare in mind this is just the con set there the club figures too like the extra ones to come isn't there ? well in 2009 you had the crimson strike team and then the international set seperatly . but the reasoning behind the trooper over viper is i'm guessing that the vipers were already made with the conquest and the jungle viper is already out in the POC line they prob didn't want fans getting confused over with Jungle viper was which

rds13601
01-15-2011, 05:52 AM
I really dug the Wet Suit!! Bout time. Also like Leatherneck. The Python troops were ok but 300 dollars for a set or any set is ridiculous! Kids might want one! Lower your prices Hasbro!! Make the Con sets affordable for everyone!! Just my take!!

SIC DETH
01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
I like everything about this set, except the price.
Yeah they are all repaints, but cool repaints!!!!

dancontrino
01-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Unless I enter a different tax bracket, I refuse to pay appx $22 for a figure that doesn't transform into Daisy Duke at midnight!

turner
01-15-2011, 09:06 AM
The Python Patrol Trooper is excellent, the televiper is almost right. Cobra de Aco is almost right. The rest are just re-imagined, which would be cool in some other situation, but I was hoping for the styles of the original set. Don't get me wrong, the wet-suit is a great figure, it's just not the special missions brazil wetsuit. I would have liked these guys much better if they had just been some generic rumble in the jungle set instead of the brazil team, since then I was wanting them done like their 80's counterparts. The red on mainframe would have been tons better than that weird donut color.

roguetiger
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=rds13601]I really dug the Wet Suit!! Bout time. Also like Leatherneck. The Python troops were ok but 300 dollars for a set or any set is ridiculous! Kids might want one! Lower your prices Hasbro!! Make the Con sets affordable for everyone!! Just my take!![/QUOTE]

Its not Hasbro putting the prices on these....its Master Collector... Hasbro loans them the molds to make the figures... The pricing is ALL Master Collectors doing.. 25th was supposedly cheaper than paying to store all the ARAH molds that Hasbro didn't want... So Brian charges MORE for the 25th figs and banks the profit. :rolleyes:

Lava Boss
01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
The themes are uninspired, but I guess they appeal to some. I'm surprised Special Missions Brazil wasn't revisisted sooner.

And the Joes are at least part of the main set, not just Cobra/Enemy characters.

But, they didn't add much beyond 2 foreign character guest stars. You know, maybe add Python Patrol members or Brazil team members? Maybe the souvenirs will. It just seems like they stuck to the retro box, aside from some color scheme changes, which actually some people didn't want.

They can lazily do 25th versions of ARAH releases for the next few years. Night Force's roster, the Marauders, Tiger Force, whatever...without adding anything to the mythos. What made some past Con sets appealling, (even to some cheap collectors like me) were new ideas/new or unmade characters/teams.

I've never gotten a con set, only a few after market figures. So, it's not like I'm the target audience anyway.

rds13601
01-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Hey Brian at Master collector. You'll never get my money unless the set comes with a real beautiful coctail waitress with incredible flexibility. Woof!!

rnrhero
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
The price is high, and yet 100's of people wait in line every year to get them. Me included. I am not a 25th sculpt fan so I am torn on this set but the price is for a targeted audience. The average person that goes to one of these cons drops about $3,000 when it is all said and done.

rds13601
01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
3 grand? These people need to get lives or go to Vegas. Jeesh!!

rnrhero
01-18-2011, 07:34 AM
It is a lot of money, but for a lot of the people there, its there summer vacation. It is very hard not to get wrapped up in it and lose perspective once at the con. You get around close to a 1000 people that share your hobby, and you lose control of the wallet. 95% of everyone are great people that want to talk and brag about what they have in there collections and what is missing. I do as much room to room swapping as anything else. Always bring about 3 large tubs of stuff and sell or swap it. I highly recommend everyone go at least once. The Master Collector activities are usually pretty good but I go to drink with fellow collectors and board members on the different forums and such. After Hotel, Plane Tickets, Lots of Beer, and getting some pretty cool toys, 2-3k is gone just like that.

roguetiger
01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I've never been to one but just reading of what happens at them on the Joecustom boards it sounds pretty fun..except the drinking part. Its a chance to make new friends and meet old ones as well...Chance to meet Larry Hama since he's supposed to be invited to every one from now on and even a chance to meet with the Hasbro reps and talk Joe with them. Then also going to the dealer tables and being able to pick thru their buckets of scrap or finding a vehicle cheaper than on ebay.. So its MUCH more than just going and getting these selected figs. Just wish someone could win the large lotto and buy it away from Master Collector and their weird OLD way of doing things and actually LISTEN to what people want and lower prices for the sets.

rnrhero
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
A few years ago when the show was in Atlanta Ga, Master Collector gave the head of Hasbro My name to see if I wanted to put my collection on display as a Now and then deal when the 25th figures first were coming out. I got to meet with a few of the Hasbro Reps and talk to them literally one on one for over 3 hours. That for me was one of the best Joe moments I could have ever had. They gave me a bunch of stuff including 3 Gold PDD's from the San Diego CC. Then made a plaque for me and I got a letter from from Hasbro Signed by a lot of the people in the Joe Dept which is cool if worthless but cool none the less. That being said, I am not a huge fan of the way Master Collector runs things. Ya, they listen to the fans, but are very slow to change anything. It's 2011 and this is the first year we can register online to go to the Con. There website reminds me of sites from 1995 when I first started really getting on the Internet. They are so secretive about stuff, that they usually never get the chance to actually break any upcoming news as most everything in their newsletters is old news by the time it comes out. They stopped sending out the Want Ads part of the newsletter as they were going to make it all online but a year later and we still have no idea when that goes live. If they need web programmers, they should advertise on the site and I am sure someone would get the site programmed for a paid Con-set or two. That would cost them very little and would win back some trust from there own base. They do a lot of good things and a lot bad but as Joe Fan's we are a picky bunch to begin with. Remember Fan is short for Fanatic. :D

rnrhero
01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=roguetiger]sounds pretty fun..except the drinking part. [/QUOTE]
Don't mean to make that part stand out so much. My wife and myself are very light drinkers. Usually a beer or two a month or so. This is the time for me, without wife or family that I get to "Party" if you will with a few of my buds.

roguetiger
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=rnrhero]Don't mean to make that part stand out so much. My wife and myself are very light drinkers. Usually a beer or two a month or so. This is the time for me, without wife or family that I get to "Party" if you will with a few of my buds.[/QUOTE]

Yea I'm type 1 Diabetic so I don't drink at all... but a lot of people do and thats cool. On the JC board they seem to attract the Hasbro bunch to them a lot. They said that at Atlanta and RI that the Hasbro crew took them out drinking and eating after the show one nite. I'd love to go one year but I know this yr won't be it.

rnrhero
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
It's only an eight hour dive, and one of the best pizza joints in the Country is about 15minutes from the hotel but I still don't know if I will make it. I have the vacation request put in but after having the new baby money is a bit tighter then the last couple years and I am saving to go on one of the Band Of Brothers tours in Europe in the next couple years as well. But damn, that pizza is so good almost worth the drive.