PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Warriors: January and February

Nekoman
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
[SIZE=2]January 7th - 9th: Forgotten Figures[/SIZE]
An idea suggested by Rambo (though I have given it a slightly shorter name). Post your favorite oddities from the line that are never seen, though feel free to use ones that are never liked as well!

[SIZE=2]January 14th - 16th: Wacky Weekend[/SIZE]
Let your humor loose with the silliest shots you can think of! Remember to keep them family-friendly and if you have descriptions that are "too much", feel free to post them somewhere else and link to them here, with a content warning.

[SIZE=2]January 21st - 23rd: Night Time[/SIZE]
Dark and gritty is what you call this weekend. Post your best dark, night-shot.

[SIZE=2]January 28th - 30th: Remakes[/SIZE]
Got a old favorite from someone else? Maybe a shot you never felt pleased with? Do it over again!

[SIZE=2]February 4th - 6th: Rescue Missions[/SIZE]
A person, an object, whatever it is of importance, GI Joe and Cobra always have something they're after.

[SIZE=2]February 11th - 13th: Mortal Enemies[/SIZE]
The guys who hate each other the most need to settle it this weekend. Show their way of doing it.

[SIZE=2]February 18th - 20th: Heavy Weaponry[/SIZE]
Heavy Machine Gunners, Bazooka Troopers, or vehicles that are as powerful as they are big, bring em' all out.

[SIZE=2]February 25th - 27th: Sub-Teams[/SIZE]
Tiger Force, Dreadnoks, Renegades, whatever your favorite sub-team is.

Leaving some spaces open for suggestions, plus I'm running out of ideas. If you guys have more let's hear em'!

Seems like a waste to post a new topic every month, so this one will cover two. Still going to post new topics since that's how we used to do it, and I don't want them getting too cluttered.

Black Knight
01-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Crossovers is always a welcomed topic... most people seem to like it.

I get my camera out of the Pawn Shop in the next week or two, so I will be fully attending the themes then.

Lt. Pinpoint
01-03-2011, 04:35 AM
Interrogations. Post your fav Joe or Cobra as a prisoner in an interrogation setting

SIC DETH
01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Create a Joe or Cobra.
Brah Man from da 5th flo.......Just chillin,R&R, or kicking back.

Prince Adam
01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm always down for another Off Topic theme but then I photograph pretty much everything that comes through my door toy-wise. ;) Interrogations sounds fun though. Few other ideas:

Vehicle Drivers, everyone's got 'em
female Joes and Cobras, rarely get enough facetime
Rescue Missions

Looking forward to this coming weekend a lot though. Gonna do some digging.

Lt. Pinpoint
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Prince Adam]Rescue Missions
[/QUOTE]

Funny you should add this! My story is coming up on a rescue mission.

temedoro15
01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
I'd like to see some custom made props

Agent Viper
01-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Another Round Robin?

SIC DETH
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=temedoro15]I'd like to see some custom made props[/QUOTE]
Agreed!!!

troopsofdoom
01-06-2011, 08:54 PM
War Crimes:
Cobra are the bad guys for a reason, let's see why. Or maybe the Joes have crossed the line?

Accessories:
Guns, backpacks, helmets, tools, etc... Show off your favorite accessories in use.

Science experiments:
Creating superweapons, experimenting on people, testing new equipment, etc.

Filecards:
Shots based on a character's filecard. (I think this one has been done before.)

The BATman
01-07-2011, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=troopsofdoom]Filecards:
Shots based on a character's filecard. (I think this one has been done before.)[/QUOTE]We did a "based on a character's military specialty according to his filecard" once, I think. Could be fun to do another one based on the actual little story on the filecards.

seamusharper
01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
How about "Squints and Techies" A set of shots focusing on the non-combatants. Medics, Commo, IT/MIS, and mechanics. The unsung heros who keep the troops working...

Prince Adam
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Cheers to Rambo to suggesting this weekend's theme! It's really been a lot of fun!!!

LT Shipwreck
01-09-2011, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Prince Adam]Cheers to Rambo to suggesting this weekend's theme! It's really been a lot of fun!!![/QUOTE]
+1

Black Knight
01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Prince Adam]Cheers to Rambo to suggesting this weekend's theme! It's really been a lot of fun!!![/QUOTE]

agreed

pinoyronin
01-10-2011, 07:02 AM
How about the figure you like the least?

It's always a pleasure to take photos of your favorite characters. But the "undesirables"? Hmmm...that will be a challenge. ;-)

Rambo
01-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks X, but you are the one who deserves the credit. I just copied and pasted one of your comments at Flickr.

dancontrino
01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice work, Carlos. Hey, Neko...how about, "Favorite characters with moustaches" :)
Da Talent could do Wild Card again!

rds13601
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Remember kids, Carlos is not just another pretty face!!!

Tracker
01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Lanard's "The Corps" figures old and new would be a good theme for a weekend IMHO

dancontrino
01-10-2011, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Tracker]Lanard's "The Corps" figures old and new would be a good theme for a weekend IMHO[/QUOTE]
Definitely! Fox is very cool and Whispering Willie is a classic....and don't forget Tony Tanner :D

temedoro15
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I love all the theme suggestions so far, there are cool themes for frebruary

Nekoman
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=temedoro15]I love all the theme suggestions so far, there are cool themes for frebruary[/QUOTE]

Truth to be told, I really don't like a lot of the themes suggested and there's a reason why. I'm a little hesitant to say anything since it makes me feel like I'm not letting everyone else get a say, but I really want to keep this thing going.

I want some really broad themes that leave plenty of room for reinterpretation. I also want themes that would allow for plenty of people with smaller collections to participate. So anything that would limit us to a small set of figures doesn't sound to good.

I do like PA's suggestion for rescue missions, and I was thinking about having remakes as a theme in the near future. Does that sound good and fair?

Da Talent
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I dig remakes.

temedoro15
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Nekoman]I want some really broad themes that leave plenty of room for reinterpretation. I also want themes that would allow for plenty of people with smaller collections to participate. So anything that would limit us to a small set of figures doesn't sound to good.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think about the "broad themes" at first, It's actually a really good point. I think Troops of Doom's proposed themes are pretty broad (except, perhaps, for the experiments theme), I mean, It will be good to see really specific topics that only 10 persons could participate in, but also have a lot of more "everyone can do it" topics.

In my case, the things that stop me from participating are time and chance (things coming up, etc.), not the themes, there's been a lot of themes in wich I could participate with my little collection, I even planned how to do them... oh well.

The "remakes" topic sounds good, the description could be "you think you can do it better? show me" :D

Black Knight
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I completely understand Nekoman's point of view and the concept of broader topics... I would say though that quite a few of the suggestions earlier in the thread had broader topics... "R&R", "War Crimes", "Crossovers", and a few more.

When I ran the Weekend Warriors, I noticed the more descriptive and defined the topic, the less people were involved in it. Topics like "Casualties", or "POWs" always brought a good turn out.

On another note... "Spouse's Choice Weekend" was a lot of fun... why not bring that back?

dancontrino
01-12-2011, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=Nekoman]Truth to be told, I really don't like a lot of the themes suggested and there's a reason why. I'm a little hesitant to say anything since it makes me feel like I'm not letting everyone else get a say, but I really want to keep this thing going.

I want some really broad themes that leave plenty of room for reinterpretation. I also want themes that would allow for plenty of people with smaller collections to participate. So anything that would limit us to a small set of figures doesn't sound to good.

I do like PA's suggestion for rescue missions, and I was thinking about having remakes as a theme in the near future. Does that sound good and fair?[/QUOTE]

No! I hate it and I want a week where we do Joes dressed as muppets! Now!

Prince Adam
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm all over Muppets! :D

[QUOTE=temedoro15]

The "remakes" topic sounds good, the description could be "you think you can do it better? show me" :D [/QUOTE]

That's a big 'no'. Remakes is supposed to be more of an homage to a shot you really liked, not trying to outdo someone else.

sithviper
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Here are some older themes we could use again:

MORTAL ENEMIES - ex. Snake Eyes Vs. Stormshadow
Rule Breakers - ex. The Dreadnoks
Odd Pairing - ex. Major Bludd and Road Pig
Perfect Pairings - ex. Stalker and the JUMP Jet Pack
Three Man Teams

Da Talent
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=Prince Adam]That's a big 'no'. Remakes is supposed to be more of an homage to a shot you really liked, not trying to outdo someone else.[/QUOTE]

Word.

temedoro15
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=Prince Adam]That's a big 'no'. Remakes is supposed to be more of an homage to a shot you really liked, not trying to outdo someone else.[/QUOTE]
:eek: Ups, I think I wasn't all that clear, I ment it in a funny way, didn't mean that the topic were to show off how better you are than others. Still, I don't see what's wrong with trying to do something better (in a non-competive way) as long as you pay tribute to the original idea :p

so... when could we see the february weekend topics? do we keep going with the brainstorming of ideas? :D

Here are some topics:
Hand-made special effects (no photoshop)
CG special effects
Cool Backgrounds (It could be either real or printed, or both, or landscapes)
Water-themed shots (on the water, under water, on boats, swimming, on the shore, etc.)

Roland da Thompson Gunner
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=temedoro15]:eek: Ups, I think I wasn't all that clear, I ment it in a funny way, didn't mean that the topic were to show off how better you are than others. Still, I don't see what's wrong with trying to do something better as long as you pay tribute to the original idea :p
[/QUOTE]

Most people take G.I. Joe pictures as a hobby, and realize taking pictures isn't a competition. Once it becomes a competition it becomes FAR less enjoyable.

Rambo
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=temedoro15]Hand-made special effects (no photoshop)[/QUOTE]

Isn't this BTS shots?

temedoro15
01-12-2011, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Rambo]Isn't this BTS shots?[/QUOTE]
if you mean "Behind the scenes", then no, I've seen in the site some photos with cool effects ala oldschool, contrary to adding the effects with postproduction editing. Though, now I think it could be a very tricky topic. I suggested the "no-photoshop effects" and the "custom props" because I learn a lot seeing the photos posted

Black Knight
01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=temedoro15]if you mean "Behind the scenes", then no, I've seen in the site some photos with cool effects ala oldschool, contrary to adding the effects with postproduction editing. Though, now I think it could be a very tricky topic. I suggested the "no-photoshop effects" and the "custom props" because I learn a lot seeing the photos posted[/QUOTE]

I second that... I think a "No Photo-shopping" and "Custom Props" would be a lot of fun and very educational.

Agent Viper
01-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Well with the recent boom of created props and pretty awesome effects, this would be something that should be on the weekend!

Nekoman
01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
New themes added, though I left space open if anyone wants to make more suggestions.

Prince Adam
01-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Mortal Enemies!!! Finally Muskrat and Voltar can duke it out!!! :D

Pretty stoked about all the new ones!http://www.joedios.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Prince Adam
01-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Neko, you alone are keeping this site going. What with the WW themes and your constant upkeep of the event. NO ONE is as advocate about trying to breathe life back into this place as you and I'll have words with anyone who pretentiously claims otherwise.

Ctrl_Z
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Only one weekend left. What's gonna be next?

Nekoman
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ctrl_Z]Only one weekend left. What's gonna be next?[/QUOTE]

New themes been added yo.

And thanks for the kind words PA. :)

Rambo
02-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Some ideas:
* Customs!
* Females

Lt. Pinpoint
02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I have to admit that the Weekend Warrior program is fascinating. I enjoy viewing what you all come up with. Just an idea that I think would help if it is doable: A seperate pic thread, (is that what we call them?) just for Weekend Warriors. This will keep all these pictures in one area so people could vote their favs. Just an idea.

Crimson Pilot
02-14-2011, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=Lt. Pinpoint]I have to admit that the Weekend Warrior program is fascinating. I enjoy viewing what you all come up with. Just an idea that I think would help if it is doable: A seperate pic thread, (is that what we call them?) just for Weekend Warriors. This will keep all these pictures in one area so people could vote their favs. Just an idea.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that also, for weekend warriors and other special themes. Definately make it easier to find what the other entries are.

Ctrl_Z
02-17-2011, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Nekoman]New themes been added yo.

And thanks for the kind words PA. :)[/QUOTE]
Just saw 'em. gonna see if I have time to do this weekends. Like the Heavy Weapons idea.

Suggestion: Gore!

Reverend Blood
02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
can't wait for heavy weapons. i'm such a nerd.

San Pickles
02-21-2011, 02:09 AM
I agree with several other posts. We should have a dedicated section for Weekend Warriors. Another thought on new ideas for the photos, When we run out of current ideas, just start from the beginning and work through the list again until new ones are added.