PDA

View Full Version : can i get you guys opinion on something

tycondrius23
11-15-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/wordsofivory/posts/107416385995317

i'm just curious as to what ya think is he nuts for basing his opinion on one genre?

cyko
11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Facebook won't let me view the link and I'm logged in. Can you copy/paste a bit?

tycondrius23
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Michael O'Connor
‎"The retail sales of videogames in the US have declines in the ast two years. That may be partly because of the economy, but it’s also because the games industry has stopped creating anything new." Peter Tante, Atomic Games.
6 hours ago via Mobile Web · LikeUnlike · Comment

o
Michael O'Connor And this is why Call of Duty is bad for the industry. Games are setting new sales records, yet industry wide sales have plummeted. A medium without creative merit stagnates. This is a long proven fact.
6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
o
Brian Barry
Games exist to make money. Not for any other reason - not for creative purposes, or for the sake of making something new. The Call of Duty series makes money, and there's a good reason for that... it's what people want. Should they stop mak...ing games in the series just because sales of other games are affected around it's release?

Markets like XBL, PSN and WiiWare are great for under-funded developers to get their games out there, and we've seen a good number of them springing up thanks to these services. Say in the future one of their games becomes a multi-million seller - now that they're making money and seen as big and evil, should they halt any further releases of that series?See More
5 hours ago · LikeUnlike
o
Michael O'Connor
‎"Games exist to make money."

That's just saddening to hear.

While we're at it, lets just make music and films for money. Heck, we might as make just create literature for the sake of making money while we're at it.

cyko
11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
‎"The retail sales of videogames in the US have declined in the past two years...."
"Games are setting new sales records, yet industry wide sales have plummeted."

[COLOR=Navy]I don't get it. New sales records, yet sales are dropping?[/COLOR]

"Games exist to make money. Not for any other reason - not for creative purposes, or for the sake of making something new."

[COLOR=Navy]This can be said about any consumer product. Unfortunately, no matter how cool something is, if people don't buy it, the product will tank. I think creativity is rewarded to a certain extent, but everyone's got a cool idea, right?

As for the possible sub-par quality of new games, I can't say. I think you have to be a hardcore gamer to accurately judge whether a game has included challenging gameplay, new features or intriguing storylines. I would think many sequel games (Call of Duty, Bioshock, etc) play very much like their originator, but I don't really think that's a bad thing. Familiarity with controls and actions should facilitate purchases. When I realized I couldn't learn multi-button control schemes (and across platforms), I gave up console gaming.[/COLOR] :o

Goldbug
11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
While we're at it, lets just make music and films for money. Heck, we might as make just create literature for the sake of making money while we're at it.

It's already happening. See Transformers & G.I. Joe. :rolleyes:

temedoro15
11-16-2010, 04:47 PM
"While we're at it, lets just make music and films for money. Heck, we might as make just create literature for the sake of making money while we're at it."
sure it's sad, but it doesn't make it false, there are real artists out there, artist of music, programming, literature, etc.... but those aren't the norm. In almost everything in the world, the big dudes with the money (corporations, etc.) decide what people will see, wear, play. That's how we live, but you really feel the toll when there's something you see really worth existing or being promoted, but because is not profitable, you never see it.

some time ago I read something about a complain that games companies have about the "free" online multiplayer capabilities of a game, because, acording to them, when the multiplayer it's so good, you prefer playing the same game over and over instead of buying other "worst-seller" games...
I mean... that's obvious, why would I want a buy a new game when I have a good one?.... but acording to them, every multiplayer game should have it's own fee you have to pay in order to play online (aside of you Live Gold suscription in the case of xbox), that way the will encourage people to buy new games, unless they really want to keep paying a fee to play COD online, for instance

temedoro15
11-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I hope it never hapens