PDA

View Full Version : Like/Dislike Devil's Due G.I.Joe comic run

dancontrino
09-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey kids,
I was just curious how everyone felt about the the two Image/Devil's Due runs of comics after the Marvel run. Specifically, GI Joe ARAH 1-43 and Americas Elite. I was going over the summaries on YOJOE and thought that the ideas were actually good, in an original way. They told the story very differently from Larry Hama and they pulled some Sunbow stuff into the mix too. When I originally read these comics, the art was what discouraged me. It was so different from the Marvel series. Now I'm more story oriented with comics and I can overlook poor or overly stylized art. What do you guys think????

Rambo
09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
What Sunbow stuff was pulled into the mix?

dancontrino
09-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Hector Ramirez, Colonel Sharpe, Blackwater prison. There's more.

troopsofdoom
09-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I haven't read those, only DDP's GI Joe Declassified about the original thirteen's origins. The stories were short but good and so was the artwork. More old-school and gritty than the other slick stylized artwork.

Strange that IDW would put out their Origins series so soon afterwords and it's completely different, not even with the same characters.

Rambo
09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Is Sunbow the cartoon?

turner
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Sunbow is the cartoon. I have all the DDP comics. I didn't like the profanity and I would have prefered Hama had done them, but I liked them. They had Extensive Enterprises, and some cool first appearances like Big Bear and Cobra Mortal and Bombstrike. They had the green shirts also but I didn't really like how that was portrayed (something like second class canon fodder). Kamakura and his dad Wade Collins (from the Marvel run). Also Road Pig and Gnawgahyde.

zedhatch
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I really hated how they would build up storylines and the final chapter would be a huge letdown. That and the fact that the killing spree they committed towards the ARAH run, it got to the point the deaths were just for the sake of saying "Oh look we killed characters off" and served no purpose. Add to that a death in the DD run was a garuntee not to recieve and updated figure (at the time) and then you got angry fanboys all over the place.

Joe reloaded was actually interesting but never had a chance to shine. I would have liked to have seen it carried out a few more issues.

MightyMegs
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I hated-like-poison the DD run on Joe when it originally came out. But IDW's Dixon run makes the DD stuff read like friggin Shakespeare...

roguetiger
09-21-2010, 02:46 PM
The Frontline comics were ok. The rest just sucked. I'm REALLY getting into the continued Marvel run with Hama at the helm again that IDW is doing.. Also if anyone is interested I have the Marvel run on a flashdrive if anyone wants/needs them on digital to read PM me. :cool:

jogunwarrior
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
The start of the DDP run was okay, but quickly went off the rails when Blaylock handed the writing duties ofer to Jerwa. I was unhappy with the way they handled several aspects of the series like the Coil, and characters like Overlord or Black Out. I didn't like the treatment Hawk received (though Mike Powers did a good job of redeeming the character). I did not think bringing back Colton to lead a smaller team, was a good idea. And don't even get me started on Gen. Rey!

I figured the Red Shadows story would have been the death of the line (and a welcomed one at that), but that just curtailed into America's Elite, which was terrible, and borderline unreadable, until Mike Powers took over as writer. World War Three was the strongest of the America's Elite run, and I would like to have seen what Mike had in store beyond that point.

I got a sense that Blaylock was a GI Joe fan, just not a good writer. I never felt that Jerwa was either, or understood the characters.

Frontline comics were okay, but forgetable. Same for a lot of the Special Missions. Special Missions tried to capture the feel of the Marvel Special Missions, but failed to on some level.

turner
10-21-2010, 06:16 AM
I really liked the special missions. The special missions brazil team (80's and contemporary) was very cool and explained the odd color scheme well I thought. There was one where low light displays his expertise in assaulting the new york city high rise. I always like the arctic guys, so seeing them teamed up for the artic issue was cool. The frontline began with a continuation story by hama I liked. I liked how we saw the first appearance of all kinds of characters from the 80's toyline. I read them after the fact (2009), so I guess my impression of them was a little different than it might have been if I was thinking in terms of what I wanted to see in the series, versus the mindset I had (which was finding out what happened).