PDA

View Full Version : PoC Jungle Viper's Rifle

Otto the Otter
09-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Here's a link to the real deal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39)

Now that I know it's based on a real rifle, I like it a little more, but I'd still like to arm him with something else. It is a cool rifle mission-wise for a sniper to carry, but I'd think it be too cumbersome for a single man to carry around and try to sneak in and sneak out.

WildBill
09-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Cool thanks for posting that Otto. I guess a guy needs two Jungle Vipers now just so they can carry the gun.

zedhatch
09-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Of course its an antiquated peice when you realize it was retired in WW2. WHich is a very strange contrast to the high tech nature of the Jungle Viper.

ender098
09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=zedhatch]Of course its an antiquated peice when you realize it was retired in WW2. WHich is a very strange contrast to the high tech nature of the Jungle Viper.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is an updated version using lightweight polymers and aircraft type metals. (?) But again, Hasbro screws da pooch. Wouldn't you want more short range weapons in the jungle/rainforest where visibility is limited as opposed to Desert Vipers who could use it in the wide open spaces of the desert? They did the same crap with Tunnel Rat. I LOVE his MG, but you DON'T carry big weapons in tight places. You need SMG's, Sawed Off Shotguns and Pistols.

Otto the Otter
09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=ender098]Maybe it is an updated version using lightweight polymers and aircraft type metals. (?) But again, Hasbro screws da pooch. Wouldn't you want more short range weapons in the jungle/rainforest where visibility is limited as opposed to Desert Vipers who could use it in the wide open spaces of the desert? They did the same crap with Tunnel Rat. I LOVE his MG, but you DON'T carry big weapons in tight places. You need SMG's, Sawed Off Shotguns and Pistols.[/QUOTE]

Good point, long range and jungle generally aren't used in the same sentance when it comes to shooting, unless maybe he's positioned at the top pf a ridge line and covering and open valley or something along those lines. And his designation is "Jungle Viper" so that'd kinda denote his operating area. He'd have been better off being called a "Sniper Viper" (Hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it!), that way he's not limited to one terrain.
How cool would it be for him to have come with a couple of guille suits; one for jungle/forrest (woodland), one for desert and one for ubran ops?
I might give him Resolute Zartan's sniper rifle as that one has a bit of a high-tech/futuristic style to it and he'd use this monster for those special hits.

Frank, that's always buggered me about Tunnel Rat's load out as well. His small size is correct, but real tunnel rats went in with a knife, an M-1911 and a flash light. My step-dad told me he knew a guy who was a tunnel rat and said the job sucked. You didn't want to be the short, skinny guy in the squad in Nam.

neapolitan joe
09-15-2010, 03:10 AM
[QUOTE=zedhatch]Of course its an antiquated peice when you realize it was retired in WW2. WHich is a very strange contrast to the high tech nature of the Jungle Viper.[/QUOTE]

That's why I love G.I.JOE's world!

EasySimpleStuff
09-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Ah, the good old Norsutykki (Elephant cannon)...or more traditionally Norsupyssy (Elephant gun)...

Well the gun was originally developed for an anti-tank rifle, which was able to penetrate the armor of several soviet tanks...but later when the soviets improved their tanks armor the usage of the L-39 was shifted to light armored targets, against enemy snipers and even aircraft. With different type of ammunition e.g. explosive bullet, fragmentation grenade, anti-tank bullet, anti-tank grenade and phosphor-bullet (spelling?? the one that flashes really bright and sets everything on fire) the usage was pretty large and the weapon proved to be very effective and versatile...only problem was that it weighted a ton and was kinda difficult to manuvere in the heat of battle...

So yes, this would be better suited to desert use, unless the Jungle viper is stationed really high and decides just to shoot trough the cover where the joes are hiding behind.

neapolitan joe
09-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi-tech Night Troopers with WWI weapon: awesome! ;)

Black Knight
09-15-2010, 07:05 PM
My girlfriend was reading this and made a good point (she's a gun enthusiast)... Perhaps the Jungle Vipers carry this massive weapon so even if a target is hiding behind a tree or even three trees, it doesn't really matter... they're dead.

ThinkTank
09-16-2010, 12:30 AM
[QUOTE=Black Knight]My girlfriend was reading this and made a good point (she's a gun enthusiast)... Perhaps the Jungle Vipers carry this massive weapon so even if a target is hiding behind a tree or even three trees, it doesn't really matter... they're dead.[/QUOTE]

These guys look like ambush kings with nightviper optics and what-not. They are not gonna be walking around with the whole palm tree disguise and that monster of a gun anyway. They are gonna have that sucker planted on those skids waiting to box you in.

pinoyronin
09-16-2010, 06:32 PM
A 20-mm anti-tank weapon? What was Hasbro thinking? Unless the Jungle Vipers are going up against ROC Ripcord and Duke with their Delta Accelarator suits, hehehe! These Vipers would end up hitting a tree with that weapon every time they turn.

I agree with you guys, it should have been either an SMG or shotgun for the Jungle Vipers.

sgcaper
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I like to think they wait. I don't see these guys walking around period. And for long range shooting in a jungle environment there is always Sniper.

ender098
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=Black Knight]My girlfriend was reading this and made a good point (she's a gun enthusiast)... Perhaps the Jungle Vipers carry this massive weapon so even if a target is hiding behind a tree or even three trees, it doesn't really matter... they're dead.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the point is, if it's a triple canopy rain forest, you can't see more than 10 feet if your lucky. And if someone is that close, you might as well hit them over the head with that huge barrel.

[QUOTE=sgcaper]I like to think they wait. I don't see these guys walking around period. And for long range shooting in a jungle environment there is always Sniper.[/QUOTE]

Again, they could wait if they have a cropping or cliff along a jungle road, but if the Jungle is really Dense, their vision is very limited. It would be cool if they called these guys "Sniper Vipers" and made them for 4 elements; Snow, Desert, Jungle and City! I'd love to see these guys in Urban or desert Camo!

troopsofdoom
09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=ender098]It would be cool if they called these guys "Sniper Vipers" and made them for 4 elements; Snow, Desert, Jungle and City! I'd love to see these guys in Urban or desert Camo![/QUOTE]
Good idea, I'd like to see some repaints too. That rifle would be deadly in the open desert or arctic.

Otto the Otter
09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Here's an auction (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=185467968#_blank) if you're interested in buying a real Jungle Viper Sniper Rifle.
There's some good pictures too. This one shows a good shot of the sites. There's the rear butterfly site just to the left of the magazine well and a front sight post mounted a little futhur down the barrel. There's probably some sort of mounting asssembly for a scope on there as well.

Good luck. :)

snipesfg17
09-24-2010, 03:48 PM
The advanced optics allow for target acquisition through the foliage, and then the big punch of the rifle delivers the accurate bullet strike.