PDA

View Full Version : Selling Photos, Anyone Ever Tried?

Nekoman
08-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, I need a way to earn a little money for both personal interests and getting a gift for a great relative. I don't think I'll have much luck with a traditional part-time job (for a lot of reasons), so I'm thinking about selling photos. Thing is... I don't really know where I should start.

Has anyone here ever tried this before? What's going to sell, and where should I take my shots to? Also, how much should I expect from a single photo? I know I'm not professional as far as quality goes, but with some luck I might get something workable. I want to try anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

dancontrino
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Nekoman, I own an antique and gift shop and I consign local artists in here. I give artists 70% of the sale price, that way it can be priced low and the artist gets what they want in terms of money. I tell photographers to use cheap, but attractive frames and try to price low and ideally you'll sell a lot and get your money in volume. Look for local gift shops, Nekoman, and talk to those people about consigning or selling outright. Can you print the shots on your own printer, or do you need a kinkos?

rds13601
08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I would also try selling work at farmer's markets, festivals, basically any public events where there is going to be an abundance of people around. You might want to think about joining the local artist's guild. just my thoughts

Death_at_Midnight
08-15-2010, 05:45 AM
It's been a long time since I looked at the site.. but on Renderosity.com (www.renderosity.com) in the forums, there is a career section for artists, which includes photographers, looking for jobs or things that help careers, etc. Might be something there to help.

dancontrino
08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Death_at_Midnight]It's been a long time since I looked at the site.. but on Renderosity.com (www.renderosity.com) in the forums, there is a career section for artists, which includes photographers, looking for jobs or things that help careers, etc. Might be something there to help.[/QUOTE]

Try Etsy too, Nekoman. Its a site I use to sell vintage items, but crafters and photographers use it too.

Nekoman
08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=dancontrino]Nekoman, I own an antique and gift shop and I consign local artists in here. I give artists 70% of the sale price, that way it can be priced low and the artist gets what they want in terms of money. I tell photographers to use cheap, but attractive frames and try to price low and ideally you'll sell a lot and get your money in volume. Look for local gift shops, Nekoman, and talk to those people about consigning or selling outright. Can you print the shots on your own printer, or do you need a kinkos?[/QUOTE]

I'll probably have to get them printed somewhere. Thanks for the advice, I would have never thought of selling to gift shops!

How much do you think I should try selling a single photo at? Also, how should I watermark what I sell? Is watermarking necessary?

[QUOTE=rds13601]I would also try selling work at farmer's markets, festivals, basically any public events where there is going to be an abundance of people around. You might want to think about joining the local artist's guild. just my thoughts[/QUOTE]

Another thought that would have never occurred to me, thanks!

Also, thanks again to Dan and Death for pointing those sites out to me!

dancontrino
08-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Russ's idea is very good, because if you join the art guild, you make some connections and flea markets and craft shows are cheap to get a atble at. Joining will cost money, though. In terms of pricing, base it on size and the cost of supplies. If the frame+matte+printing is $20, if you're selling outright and selling say, 4 units...sell them for $30 a piece. Its not a huge margin, but you've just made $40 at once. If the shop wants to consign, so they don't have to pay you until it sells, base the price on your commission. if you get 60% of the sale price, figure out a price that makes you enough of a margin, but still prices the photo competitively, so it sells faster.