PDA

View Full Version : Kinda' preachy, but Important: Kids Need To Read

~Synder Corps.~
07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't usually "do" causes... But every once in a while one comes around that without a doubt in my mind, I can support 100%.

I know with everything else, I can be belligerant and overly voice my opinion blindly (Tankers know that for a fact)

There's a group out there that does what it can to encourage kids to read. They set up charity and auction events to help bring inspiring books into schools and "problem" areas in cities.

The group is simply called

Kids Need To Read

http://www.facebook.com/kidsneedtoread

This is a quote from their own page.

Kids Need to Read is a national nonprofit charity focusing on promoting childhood literacy and addressing the deplorable state of library funding that currently exists in the United States. Donating exciting, new books to schools, public libraries, health clinics and shelters in need, the foundation works to develop a lifelong love of reading in all children.

... Now, I'm the last person to start preaching about this or that. And I'm TRYING not to. But ONE thing I firmly believe in is if this world is ever going to change, it has to begin with the next generation, and the first step towards a better world is knowledge, cause once that's attained, that's when the social, economical, racial, and political bullshit will end.

You don't even have to DO anything! Just spread the word. Even if ONE person on your friends list "gets" it, that's ONE step closer to that sought after better world.

"befriend" them, suggest them to others. If your really ambitious contact them to see what you can do in your area! Contact schools and libraries, after-school clubs and see if THEY know about this group.

KNTR has e-bay auctions with really cool stuff that you can buy and the money goes into the organization, towards what they are setting out to do!

I found out about KNTR after I got Mr. Nathan Fillion on my friends list over on Myspace. I finally found them on here...and those who know me know the bromance I have with Mr. Fillion, Firefly/Serenity, and all things browncoat...and I will say, KNTR means a lot more to me.

So...In an overly AMBITIOUS move... I'm asking any and all of you who consider me friend... Just for ONE DAY, August 18th, 2010, to have nothing on your News Feed status except something concerning Kids Need To Read.

Even if it's just the link to their FB page (see above)

Think of it as a Birthday present to me. But PLEASE... just spread the word, cause once it starts...

You Can't Stop The Signal.

Thanks for reading!

~Syn

Death_at_Midnight
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I agree with this. Reading is good.

Beast from the east
07-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I read to my kids. They just don't sit down long enough to get through a who;le book though. lol