PDA

View Full Version : I'm updating the top menu

Hammerfel
07-23-2010, 08:56 PM
It's tricky, and might take a while. Embrace the temporary chaos!

:)

Hammerfel
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok, I'm going to do this another day, when we don't have so many visitors. Can't look messy when we have guests, can we? :)

pbarny1701
07-24-2010, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=Hammerfel]Ok, I'm going to do this another day, when we don't have so many visitors. Can't look messy when we have guests, can we? :)[/QUOTE]

You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, angering half the site members, and coming this close to Armageddon. :D

Rambo
07-24-2010, 11:42 AM
What about updating the HEADER picture? (the one with Duke)

Hammerfel
07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I have an idea about that. I have code that could randomize that, so you get a new picture either on every load of the page, or a new one every day, but to do it I'd need LOTS of images. Maybe you could all help out?

Rambo
07-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Say the word. What do you need? (Specifications)

Hammerfel
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I separated out the files and I'm making a front page post on this now.

Hammerfel
07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
All set. Have at it!

http://www.joedios.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37208

Death_at_Midnight
07-24-2010, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=Hammerfel]Yeah, I have an idea about that. I have code that could randomize that, so you get a new picture either on every load of the page, or a new one every day, but to do it I'd need LOTS of images. Maybe you could all help out?[/QUOTE]

Just do what we would do on Renderosity and have a month long event for ppl to post pics that could be used as a banner. The image requirements would be something like JPG, of the size that would fit for the banner. The topic could be something diorama, not just a figure or vechicle. The site would reserve the right to alter the image as needed, use for promotional stuff, and the right not to use any image. That way no one feels bad if they submit a banner and it's not used. Having it as an event would primarily serve as a promotional event to get ppl excited and submit things. After the event is over, it would be good to keep the requirements up and available so that ppl can continue to submit banners--thus always something new coming in.

The banner could have the "JoeDios.com" text, or if not, you might want to make the right side of the banner transparent in a gradient, so that the image is opaque and becomes transparent, where the right side of it blends into the site's background color. Using CSS layout you could position the "JoeDios.com" text over the transparent part so it looks like the banner and the text go together. Oh, and flush the banner so it's to the left like it is now.

Actually, if this was Renderosity, it would be like three or four images, one for the main landing page, one for header banners, one as a .. i don't know the terminology.. like a thumbnail mostly used for magazine advertisements. The user submitting the image would be responsible to add the site's text graphic, but the graphic is provided by the site. The user would recieve no payment or reward other than the fact that their artwork is being seen by thousands around the world on an industry respected site, great stuff for someone wanting to have something nice in their portfolio.

But for us, a simple banner of a diorama nicely blending into the page, randomized with other submissions would be a great added touch to the site. It would generate a sense of community and have something new and interesting on every refresh. Every so often a new banner can be added to those already on the list.

Just a few thoughts.