PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Comic storyline help>

Sonneilon
07-23-2010, 02:18 PM
With both Marvel and Devils Due storylines under our belts, I have a question (or two) about it.

When was Cobra Island created?

Where was the Devils Due Cobra War placed?

When was the last time the Joes were on Cobra Island?

Was Cobra Island in the Gulf of Mexico?

ANY idea WHERE in the Gulf of Mexico it was?

Was there ever any talk or action taken for Cobra Island to expand? (ie; did they create more islands?)

Thanks for the help!

SIC DETH
07-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Man I bet LowJacked can answer all your question,but his cpu is broke.

General Scarlett
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
When was Cobra Island created?

Cobra Island was created in Marvel #41, but the prequel was in #40....COBRA had sealed themselves in a sunken oil tanker stuck in a fault line in the Gulf of Mexico. They know that the JOE team is going to roust them, and they want that. Hawk asks the Pentagon (i.e. 'The Jugglers') for advice and then radios to the TTBP that a tactical nuke will be used. Doc is concerned and when Duke asks him if he's got a better idea, Doc suggests using a couple of kilos of TNT instead. However, that is nixed and the nuke is dropped. As the tremors begin to shake the Gulf, Duke realizes that they have aggravated the fault line and the COBRAs in the tanker begin to cheer at the victory they have forced the JOEs to give them.

Where was the Devils Due Cobra War placed?

If you want to pin it down, place it after the AE trade 'In Sheep's Clothing'-which was a result of Destro 'selling out' and relinquishing control of M.A.R.S. to Cobra Commander as a way to get his and the Baroness' son back. Unless your talking about something else.

When was the last time the Joes were on Cobra Island?

Going by the DD timeline, in issue #41 when Barrel Roll drops a nuke on the island (which is weird since General Rey, Lady Jaye, Flint, Mercer, Spirit and Grand Slam are on the island-going after Dr. Mindbender)

Was Cobra Island in the Gulf of Mexico?

Yes. It still is. :p

ANY idea WHERE in the Gulf of Mexico it was?

COBRA Island is situated on a direct crossing line of Mexico, Cuba and the USA. As soon as the 'island' rose from the waters, COBRA planted a flag to claim the land while simultaneously in Washington, Mexico City, Havanna and the UN (NYC) beginning the negotiations to validate Cobra Island as a sovereign country ASAP.

Was there ever any talk or action taken for Cobra Island to expand? (ie; did they create more islands?)

The JOE team constantly pursues the reversing of the decision to validate Cobra Island. They are repeatedly denied. As for 'expansion', since COBRA is a recognized country, they have the right to apply for building an embassy in any country the world over. From there, you do the math. ;)

Any other questions??? :cool:

Otto the Otter
07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
OK, GenScar got them, but as far as expanding the island, Cobra tried to make another island in the same area as the original, but the Joes figured out what they were up to and rushed to get their own flag on it before Cobra could. However, the fault line wasn't as stable and Cobra did something different than what the Joes did the first time, so the island surfaced but ended up crumbeling back into the sea, not to be claimed be either side. I can't recall the issue in which this happened, but it was a Marvel book.

ender098
07-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I beg to differ with one point, Cobra was using a soundwave device to kill fish in the gulf and when the nuke was authorized, the plan was changed and they used multiple sorties of time delay bombs so they didn't have the radiation effect. (Of course, the shockwave traveling through the water would have done as much damage to wildlife and reefs as the radiation would! )!

General Scarlett
07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE="Otto the Otter"]OK, GenScar got them, but as far as expanding the island, Cobra tried to make another island in the same area as the original, but the Joes figured out what they were up to and rushed to get their own flag on it before Cobra could. However, the fault line wasn't as stable and Cobra did something different than what the Joes did the first time, so the island surfaced but ended up crumbeling back into the sea, not to be claimed be either side. I can't recall the issue in which this happened, but it was a Marvel book.[/QUOTE]

That was issue #80.

Sonneilon
07-23-2010, 08:31 PM
What year was #41? Was it 1986?

I need the info for my upcoming diostory. ;)

yorktownjoe
07-24-2010, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]What year was #41? Was it 1986?

I need the info for my upcoming diostory. ;)[/QUOTE]

According to Yojoe's summary page it was November, 1985.

http://yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe41.shtml

Many thanks to yojoe for good summary info like this.

This was a nice Hama plot twist that completely goes beyond reality with 24-like time space continuity (amazing that all of that could happen in am hour or two). Bureaucatic relations with State departments of the aforementioned governments would take several months, possibly years. More than ample time for the Joes to KILL everyone living creature on the newly created land mass.

Edit for additional snide comment:) I couldn't get a driver's license renewed in the time it took them to get sovereignty AND a ceasefire issued.

Otto the Otter
07-24-2010, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=ender098]I beg to differ with one point, Cobra was using a soundwave device to kill fish in the gulf and when the nuke was authorized, the plan was changed and they used multiple sorties of time delay bombs so they didn't have the radiation effect. (Of course, the shockwave traveling through the water would have done as much damage to wildlife and reefs as the radiation would! )![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I seem to recall them wanting to use nukes but ended up using conventional explosives in the end.

As convoluted (in the real world) as the whole thing was, it was a great idea on Cobra's part and to have the lawyers, etc. in place ready to go and claim the island and to trick the Joes into setting everything in motion was also great.

Two of my favorite sub-plots by Cobra were the creation of Cobra island and when they busted into Joe Colton's lab and took over the giant laser simply to destroy the yacht of the drug kingpin (he name slips my mind right now). Just two, simple effective missions they endevoured upon and the Joe weren't able to stop them.