PDA

View Full Version : What i use when taking photos

footloose
07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Im posting this thread so you guys can see what im using when taking pics. i get alot of questions so i hope this helps.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx193/johno2tired/tools%20of%20the%20trade/IMG_6096.jpg
as you can see i have 2 LEDs and 2 different tripods for shooting pics

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx193/johno2tired/tools%20of%20the%20trade/IMG_6099.jpg
i picked this LED up from Tuesday Morning for $7. comes wih the tripod. the tripod works fairly good. i can also mount this LED to anytripod i want.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx193/johno2tired/tools%20of%20the%20trade/IMG_6098.jpg
heres my other LED. it has a swivel head on it and 3 different lights, RED, GREEN, and WHITE. This LED is made by Black & Decker. I picked it up at walmart for $10.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx193/johno2tired/tools%20of%20the%20trade/IMG_6100.jpg
and heres my tripods i use for my camera. i generally use the bigger of the 2. the big one cost $13 or $15 dont remember. i picked this up at walmart as well.
If youre taking pics and dont have a tripod i highly suggest you invest in one of these.

and as for my camera, i only have one so i couldnt take a pic of it. It is CANON POWER SHOT S2 IS. its an older model. i bought it about 5 yrs ago. so you could probably pick one of these up on ebay now for cheap. i paid around $800 5 or so years ago.

well i hope this answer some questions. please feel free to ask if you have others. im more of a hands on teacher but ill do my best to answer questions for you guys

Hammerfel
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
This is awesome, thanks!

Death_at_Midnight
07-12-2010, 05:38 PM
I also use mini-tripods, a big tripod, and on average two LED flashlights. But, I also use a halogen light on a dimmer. I find the lack of a full spectrum of color in a LED light tends not to show the actual color something is--it's just the way LED lights are. A halogen has nearly the full spectrum (which is why plants grow well with them.) I do like the slightly blue tint a white LED gives and complimented with the warmth of a halogen.

What I am interested in is something to clip on an LED light for the tripod to hold it.

footloose
07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Death_at_Midnight]
What I am interested in is something to clip on an LED light for the tripod to hold it.[/QUOTE]

awww.. the one im using actually has a hole in the end so you can mount it right to the tripod.

i understand what you are saying bout the halogens. havent had much luck with that and the tripod. it seems the halogen puts off and orange color and the LED is a blue light. for daytime shots, halogen is the way to go. i use a desklamp for doing so. when it comes to doing night shots (which i tend to be doing alot of lately) LEDs are the way to go.

i will have to full around with the halogen LED mix again. i havent had much luck with it yet though.

Death_at_Midnight
07-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Understood.

I should really take a photo of what I use.. it pales in comparison. The halogen is on a cheapy lamp fixture, without any covering. A true bulb, not a halogen stick. It's on a dimmer for the very reason about the orange color. There's been a few times when I want to take shots of Stormtroopers and they look like they are facing a sunrise. (I'll have to post that one)

So what I normally do is hide the halogen behind something, or suspend it over the target. But the dimmer is what I really like.

I do have another light.. I'm a little confused how to call it, it's tungsten, but that's often used in halogen.. anyway, it's like.. as soon as i turn it on, dust turns to flame for a moment, and it's super bright. I'll have to post here the name of it.

footloose
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Death_at_Midnight]Understood.

I should really take a photo of what I use.. it pales in comparison. The halogen is on a cheapy lamp fixture, without any covering. A true bulb, not a halogen stick. It's on a dimmer for the very reason about the orange color. There's been a few times when I want to take shots of Stormtroopers and they look like they are facing a sunrise. (I'll have to post that one)

So what I normally do is hide the halogen behind something, or suspend it over the target. But the dimmer is what I really like.

I do have another light.. I'm a little confused how to call it, it's tungsten, but that's often used in halogen.. anyway, it's like.. as soon as i turn it on, dust turns to flame for a moment, and it's super bright. I'll have to post here the name of it.[/QUOTE]

i would like to see that.

Rambo
07-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Footloose, could you post a Behind The Scenes shot of one of your pictures?

Otto the Otter
07-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I have a small tripod like the one you show, never knew how much I'd use it when I bought it, but now I can't take a picture without it. That and the timer function has made many a steady shot for me.

I found a couple really small LEDs that you can clip on your glasses or brim of your hat for hiking or auto mechanicing or something along those lines. Each clip has two LEDs that can be turned on individually so I can have one LED or four. One is quite enought for just barely lighting something in pitch dark and provides just enough light for my camera's low-light setting (Which was great for taking a picture of the Joe's sniper in an area, thus the camera was on a low light setting taking a picture of a Low Light setting [rimshot!])

I also have a AA battery powered Mag-Lite I use for a bit more light in the dark.
As far as indoor shots, when I get a new figure, I genearraly take a picture of him for the archives against a blank white back ground, similar to the Eels shot I posted a few days ago. For that I just use a simple desk lamp and try to avoid the flash so there's no shadow. The few interior shots I've taken against a background of a wall of something like that, I just use the regular lighting I've got in my kitchen, which is a florecent light, so it gives my hall ways a florecent light lit look (say that five times fast).

I need to actually sit down and play with the functions on my camera, I dunno, maybe down load the instructions to see what it's capable of, maybe I can get some better shots.