PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
So my interest in joes started just a short while ago through a former bestfriend! now that were no longer friends this isn't something I want to give up! so where do I start/ how do I began! I have a awesome cam and i'm ready to get startd but not so many dio pieces! ugh :mad: ! needing some advice

seamusharper
07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
As with anything, you start with concept. Once you have an idea in mind, you can decide what exactly ya need to accomplish it. From there, many of us on here can give you ideas on where to look for what...

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=seamusharper]As with anything, you start with concept. Once you have an idea in mind, you can decide what exactly ya need to accomplish it. From there, many of us on here can give you ideas on where to look for what...[/QUOTE]

Great! Thanks! I thought I was creative til I seen the hard work and dedication everyone puts into there joes on joedios! I'm been wanting to post a pic for awhile but I'm nervous I guess ima get started on some things i've thought about.

seamusharper
07-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Look everyone starts somewhere. If ya dont believe me, look up some of my shots. Ive been working for months to get my next dio lookin' real good. Im almost done with enough of it to actually shoot. I am nowhere near perfect, but ya gotta try...

Otto the Otter
07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
First off, welcome abord the site. Go to the introductions page and introduce yourself.

You don't need any fancy sets. My only "sets" are back drops I downloaded from this site and taped to a cardboard box. The rest of my shots are all out doors.

Take your figures outside, pose them in a natural looking fasion and take your picture. Get compfortable with posing them and watching what's in your back ground (so you don't ruin the scale) before you start worring about elaborate lighting and sets. Even if you just take a picture of the figure on your kitchen counter with the wall as a back drop it's a start.

Take several pictures of you figure in the same pose, from the same angle and from different angles. Sometimes you get luky and shot number one is perfect, other times, it may take ten or fifteen shots to get just right.

The folks on this site will give you any advice you want, and nobody will be overly critical of your work as we all started out taking shaky, out of focus pictures at some point.

Don't get discouraged if you're not taking Outrider-esque photos the first time out. Even he had to start somewhere.

All I've seen on this site is improvment

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=seamusharper]Look everyone starts somewhere. If ya dont believe me, look up some of my shots. Ive been working for months to get my next dio lookin' real good. Im almost done with enough of it to actually shoot. I am nowhere near perfect, but ya gotta try...[/QUOTE]

Ima try but I don't have that many dio pieces! I guess I'll do a lil at a time like you said. I feel anxious like I need everything at once but I do have to start somewhere! ;)

Death_at_Midnight
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Another approach to get your feet wet if you don't have a lot of dio stuff is to view things artistically. For instance, Destro looking at a spare mask in an impressive pose. No chair, no background, nothing except the subject matter of Destro and his mask. The background could be a blank wall, a washing machine, or the background could be blurred out with the camera or photoshopped. Or, turn off the lights so that the room is dark and hold a flashlight over Destro and his mask.. play with the shadows for a mood.

The point is, if you don't have a lot to work with don't let it stop you. Go for the minimalist art look. Make it visual poetry.

Rachel
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Need help? Let me know! Us gals are in it together! :D

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=Otto the Otter]First off, welcome abord the site. Go to the introductions page and introduce yourself.

You don't need any fancy sets. My only "sets" are back drops I downloaded from this site and taped to a cardboard box. The rest of my shots are all out doors.

Take your figures outside, pose them in a natural looking fasion and take your picture. Get compfortable with posing them and watching what's in your back ground (so you don't ruin the scale) before you start worring about elaborate lighting and sets. Even if you just take a picture of the figure on your kitchen counter with the wall as a back drop it's a start.

Take several pictures of you figure in the same pose, from the same angle and from different angles. Sometimes you get luky and shot number one is perfect, other times, it may take ten or fifteen shots to get just right.

The folks on this site will give you any advice you want, and nobody will be overly critical of your work as we all started out taking shaky, out of focus pictures at some point.

Don't get discouraged if you're not taking Outrider-esque photos the first time out. Even he had to start somewhere.

All I've seen on this site is improvment[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the advice Ill my the introduction in the morning! I have a 10yr old that could probably help out a bunch and I think it could be a awesome hobby for him as well. When I practiced my posing before it was mostly action ima try my best not to get stuck on the same poses. Thanks again! :o

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=Rachel]Need help? Let me know! Us gals are in it together! :D[/QUOTE]

I sure will! I'm glad to see there a few ladies on this site! Thanks so much! ;)

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Death_at_Midnight]Another approach to get your feet wet if you don't have a lot of dio stuff is to view things artistically. For instance, Destro looking at a spare mask in an impressive pose. No chair, no background, nothing except the subject matter of Destro and his mask. The background could be a blank wall, a washing machine, or the background could be blurred out with the camera or photoshopped. Or, turn off the lights so that the room is dark and hold a flashlight over Destro and his mask.. play with the shadows for a mood.

The point is, if you don't have a lot to work with don't let it stop you. Go for the minimalist art look. Make it visual poetry.[/QUOTE]

Ive learned a lot about the lighting effect through my former friend! photoshop huh I wish! but thats a awesome idea with destro ima try a few shots to see what happens.

Not meaning to jump into things fast ;) but I cannot wait to do a custom

Thanks

ThinkTank
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
If you want dio pieces, go to thrift stores and dig thru old toys for stuff. Look thru the how to section for threads about making your own stuff. Why, I even have a thread about kitbashing.

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=ThinkTank]If you want dio pieces, go to thrift stores and dig thru old toys for stuff. Look thru the how to section for threads about making your own stuff. Why, I even have a thread about kitbashing.[/QUOTE]

yea i did that for my friend! I loved the rush off joe hunting and finding cool accessories! Wish I woulda kept all the joes and the vehicales I bought for myself! oh well! i have a lot of time on my hands right now so ima try and get creative! I'll check out your thread
Thanks ;)

JoeGirl
07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=ThinkTank]If you want dio pieces, go to thrift stores and dig thru old toys for stuff. Look thru the how to section for threads about making your own stuff. Why, I even have a thread about kitbashing.[/QUOTE]

btw your pics are amazing! :)

tycondrius23
07-07-2010, 11:34 PM
as most folks are saying everyone started somwere heck if you look at my first pics you'll see that most are just of the figure , I tend to not put much props and stuff in .
if you want inscale scenery stuff like tables and chairs . you could try finding sylvanian family stuff or playmobil parts second hand at thrift stores or maybe cheap lots on ebay .
i'm sure most of the otheres here will have just as helpfull advice .

btw welcome to JD's

JoeGirl
07-08-2010, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=tycondrius23]as most folks are saying everyone started somwere heck if you look at my first pics you'll see that most are just of the figure , I tend to not put much props and stuff in .
if you want inscale scenery stuff like tables and chairs . you could try finding sylvanian family stuff or playmobil parts second hand at thrift stores or maybe cheap lots on ebay .
i'm sure most of the otheres here will have just as helpfull advice .

btw welcome to JD's[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much all the adivce has been great!

pbarny1701
07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
You don't have to buy photoshop. There is an open source equivalent called GIMP that a few of us are playing around with.

For less powerful photo editing tools there's Picassa from Google if you want to do different finishes sort of like lenses or making a picture look really old. There's also the software that probably came with the camera. These are cost effective ways to alter the lighting or appearance of a picture.

ToneGunsRevisited
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Be welcome and the best advice could be: Start taking pictures.

What I'm sure about is your first pictures will suck when you will go back a further and do a comparison. Same happens to everyone, even the greatest of us all, Craig, had that going =).

JoeGirl
07-08-2010, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=ToneGunsRevisited]Be welcome and the best advice could be: Start taking pictures.

What I'm sure about is your first pictures will suck when you will go back a further and do a comparison. Same happens to everyone, even the greatest of us all, Craig, had that going =).[/QUOTE]

Im post my first pic tonight im kinda nervous but ima do it anyways! I'll probably being using just one figur to start. just to see how it turns out!

troopsofdoom
07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Close-up shots are how I hide that most of my JoeDios shots don't have any sets. Night shots are good for limited resources, since you won't see much anyway.

JoeGirl
07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=troopsofdoom]Close-up shots are how I hide that most of my JoeDios shots don't have any sets. Night shots are good for limited resources, since you won't see much anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm reallly going to try and see what happens I'll be posting soon! Hopefully it turns out pretty good. Thanks a lot

rds13601
07-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Just wanted to say you are doing great and don't worry as to how you're doing. That bear mauling had me on the floor laughing. I love it when the animal kingdom goes beserk. Remember to have fun!! Peace Out/ rds13601 Russ Spencer

JoeGirl
07-10-2010, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=rds13601]Just wanted to say you are doing great and don't worry as to how you're doing. That bear mauling had me on the floor laughing. I love it when the animal kingdom goes beserk. Remember to have fun!! Peace Out/ rds13601 Russ Spencer[/QUOTE]

Thanks