PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Engineering the Hasbro Booth '09

Death_at_Midnight
07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Greetings all ye mortals!

Okay, by now we've all seen photos of the Hasbro booth at this year's Comic Con.

http://www.fighting118th.com/2009/07/23/sdcc-09-g-i-joe-booth-diorama/

I can easily say for me I think some influence from the booth might rub off into some of my dio shots--I do like the inside scenes where the Joes are gathered around their computers. There are some other nice shots too showing some things yet to come or customs--grey camo Airborne, desert ambush troops, etc. But the purpose of this thread is how would you go about recreating some of these scenes? Do you know of any location to buy or build the chairs in the computer room dio, or any guesses as to the computer displays -- LCD or simply printed transparency with a light behind it? The underwater scene looks to be simply colored film and the figures/vehicles suspended by black thread, but what about the structure in the back?

Anyway, as a source for information, please post your thoughts and speculations.

ThinkTank
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Ive been thinking about some of that stuff also. I think its probably a mix of kitbash, molded pieces and paper mache or clay, something like that. I think the screens were just colored plastic with lights behind them. I have been thinking about some sort of multi layered dio piece like that for a long time, but I dont have the room, and with a big static piece like that, it would be hard to get in there to take pictures. Admittedly, the think is pretty cool.

Outrider
07-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I can't believe they went to all the trouble of creating such an impressive set, and then lazily used figure stands to hold the figures up. That's Hasbro for you!

jcast
07-24-2009, 09:42 PM
There are also some Marauder modular pieces in there. Look at the section where The Doctor has RA Duke strapped to the chair, they're in the background inside the glass cases.

Jay
07-24-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm so disappointed that Hasbro can make such nice "playsets" for SDCC but can't even make anything even half as good for actual playsets.

I would LOVE the Japan set they used for Marvel Universe.
http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=2009_San_Diego_Comic_Con%2FHasbro%2FMarvel_Universe%2FDay_1%2FSingle_Carded&pic=IMG_8733.jpg

Tracker
07-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I been thinking about writing Hasbro a letter asking about the chairs as that chairs don't look kitbashed rather the look manufactured

Scuba Steve
07-25-2009, 07:56 AM
HA, That was the first question I had when I saw those pics! How did they do the chairs? I too love those things and am currently in need of some chairs for my big Dio project! as far as the rest of the set I can't say how they did it but I believe it can be recreated with some of the techniques I learned doing my project (foam core, styro, sculpy...ect!) I believe alot of the mechanical detail was kitbashed from variouse models and houshold items. possably some custom molding but I doubt they did much.

Death_at_Midnight
07-25-2009, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=Tracker]I been thinking about writing Hasbro a letter asking about the chairs as that chairs don't look kitbashed rather the look manufactured[/QUOTE]

Agreed about those chairs. That is a good idea to contact Hasbro about them. Guess if they don't respond, there's always that Q&A session. Is there anyone from JoeDios going to SDCC? Maybe they can bug the Hasbro folks with diorama questions.. specifically about those chairs.

Anyway, they do look manufactured, or at least the bottom does.

Does anyone have an idea how to make a chair.. not specifically these, but something durable?

Death_at_Midnight
07-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I guess can make a chair using something like sculpty or epoxy. Then use something like paster of paris to make a mold and use that mold to make more chairs out of sculpty.

Sonneilon
07-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder if Luke Ellison built their dios. ;)

We're a more anal group here. There's a difference in playset and diorama. What they are showcasing there are dioramas in the traditional definition. A static scene. A playset would indicate that you can interact with it. The ROCC and the upcoming PITT would be classified as playsets.

AND maybe, just maybe, Hasbro is showing people how to create their OWN background sets for dioramas from using junk around the house.

Can Hasbro made a decent playset that acts as a set? Probably but they already said there's no money it. Especially when the sets they make are from scratch. I think our OWN imaginations can do better. Better than a monotone or 2-tone piece of fake lookng plastic they call a playset OR set.

Flatline
07-25-2009, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]
AND maybe, just maybe, Hasbro is showing people how to create their OWN background sets for dioramas from using junk around the house.
QUOTE]

Hey that's the way I make mine :( .......

Tracker
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Death_at_Midnight]Agreed about those chairs. That is a good idea to contact Hasbro about them. Guess if they don't respond, there's always that Q&A session. Is there anyone from JoeDios going to SDCC? Maybe they can bug the Hasbro folks with diorama questions.. specifically about those chairs.

Anyway, they do look manufactured, or at least the bottom does.

Does anyone have an idea how to make a chair.. not specifically these, but something durable?[/QUOTE]

i had some success in that past writing a letter and sending snail mail but I'm not to good at composing and had to have help that I have no idea what to write, but I'm working on it.

Tracker
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.fighting118th.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/joe14.jpg

i know in this scene that made good use of pvc pipes and possible used foam backing use for dry wall for the pit entrance

http://www.fighting118th.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/joe12.jpg

In this scene i see a part strawberry containers and part of a carrying crate used

and the big round section might be cake molds or something for an automotive parts store but i not sure

and i see the use some sort of piping use in gardens and drainage

Tracker
07-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Here's Video of the The GI Joe Diorama from the Hasbro booth at SDCC 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdZqiliZ4z0&feature=player_embedded

Tracker
08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
There more good shots of the Dio that was at SDCC now at Joecon starting on page 7

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2009_GIJoe_Con%2FHasbro_Day_1%2F&start=120