PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I'd introduce myself...

Marty
05-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Marty. I've been a lurker here for probably nearly 3 years now, and only just stepped up to actually sign up.
I must say that the quality of some of the work here is quite staggering. Almost all of you post really excellent shots, while a handful of you post some really top quality, mind blowing, epic shots. It's really great to see! Although a lot of times when I think of actually taking some shots myself, I feel I could never live up to those shots and talk myself out of even trying! Yea, I know I shouldn't.
I noticed that before I even tried to take shots, I thought it looked kinda easy. Boy was I wrong! There's so many things that come into play that I never thought about before trying it myself! For me it is MUCH harder than I would have thought to get a shot that I'm happy with.
I often read comments, and every now and again I check out whats going down in the forums, and it's great to see that the vast majority of you are very helpful and encouraging. If anything, you don't post enough constructive criticism. If you see something in one of my shots that you think I could have improved on then PLEASE by all means criticize as much as you like, I will not get offended, and I will welcome your input.
I don't think I'll be able to post as often as some of you, but from time to time I'll see what I can organise.
It's nice to finally be a part of this community.

A little bit about me...
I started collecting GI Joes in about 1990. My first GI Joe was a Sonic Fighter Dodger, and he's still one of my favourite figures. Since signing up on eBay a few years ago I was able to vastly expand my collection of figures and vehicles. Not only am I an O-Ring Die-Hard, I also don't own many figures past 1993.
I'm 28, I live in Melbourne, Australia, and I work part time as a toy designer. As much as I'd like to be designing action figures, I'm not. The toys I design are mostly for much younger children, toys that cross over into Australiana sovenirs, and toys that cross over into promotional items for big companies. 95% of the things we make are made in Australia. I also have my own freelance business doing graphic design, Illustration, and Product design. It's called "Ink Tank Studios".

See ya round!

Agent Viper
05-24-2009, 05:44 AM
Glad to have you here marty, I'm Matt Morelock. And we are glad to have another "rising up" to have you here.

Urban Saboteur
05-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Your very welcome Marty! :) thanks for signing up, and even more thanks for posting your pictures. I know just what you mean when you say 'I can do that' and when you try and do it, you have difficulty liking to the picture you've taken.
As a good base for bettering ourselves i think we all try and help each other here as much as we can, whether it's set building or picture taking. We all want to better our quality of shots. :D

Its great to have you sign up and contribute, welcome to JD :cool:

Death_at_Midnight
05-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Welcome Marty!

Rambo
05-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Bienvenido Marty!!!

rnrhero
05-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Welcome. Don't be scared to post any pics you take.

troopsofdoom
05-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Welcome aboard. You've taken some excellent debut photos.
[QUOTE=Marty]I noticed that before I even tried to take shots, I thought it looked kinda easy. Boy was I wrong! There's so many things that come into play that I never thought about before trying it myself! For me it is MUCH harder than I would have thought to get a shot that I'm happy with.
I often read comments, and every now and again I check out whats going down in the forums, and it's great to see that the vast majority of you are very helpful and encouraging. If anything, you don't post enough constructive criticism. If you see something in one of my shots that you think I could have improved on then PLEASE by all means criticize as much as you like, I will not get offended, and I will welcome your input.[/QUOTE]
I thought dios would be easy too, that's why I started doing them. I know better now. I don't know how people like Outrider turn out great photos almost every day.

The constructive criticism is few and far between, even the bad photos get positive comments. I guess that's the price of having good members. ;)

Prince Adam
05-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Welcome, Marty! :)

Da Talent
05-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Welcome to joedios. I'll head over to the pics section and check out your photos!

Flatline
05-24-2009, 11:42 AM
hello Marty From Your 1st Few Shot I Gotta Say I Can't Wait For More Of Your Work.

Outrider
05-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Marty, I just checked out your first few shots, and I have to say you need not worry - they are awesome. And I also have to say how good it is to have another Melbourne boy on board, Joedios needs more of us Aussies! :) Welcome aboard, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

vader9900
05-24-2009, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Outrider]Marty, I just checked out your first few shots, and I have to say you need not worry - they are awesome. And I also have to say how good it is to have another Melbourne boy on board, Joedios needs more of us Aussies! :) Welcome aboard, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.[/QUOTE]
I agree, good looking stuff! That make 3 of us from Melbourne! I'm in Florida though. :D

ToneGunsRevisited
05-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard!

Being an aussie you could chat personally with DA MAN Craig, he is also from Australia.

Lucky you :).

Keep posting!

Beast from the east
05-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi welcome to JD.

You have to start some where.My ps skills were crap but some of the guys helped me figure out the how to do things to make them look better. Any questions just post on the forum and they will answer and help you.

Tracker
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM
howdy

4-Cobra
05-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Great to have you here!The Top Dog around here in my opinion is Outrider who's also from Australia,so another Aussie will be Great to have aboard!!

Scuba Steve
05-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Welcome, Your shots are great and they only get better around here. Can't wait to see more!

Sonneilon
05-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Obiwan, "Hello there." :D

Marty
05-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Unfortunately I've been at my parents place the last few days fixing my car, so I could only reply now. I look forward to more activity here.

zedhatch
05-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Welcome Marty, I too generally lurk (unless I am updateing something for myself).

On your toy job, while not action figures, do you design anything close to 1:18th scale? Just wondering.

Marty
05-26-2009, 07:52 AM
As much as I'd love to, sadly the answer is no.

Death_at_Midnight
05-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I like your sig line.. "i came, i saw, i blew it up."

guiltridden
05-28-2009, 04:37 AM
Welcome aboard it's always nice to have more members that shot of Dusty is awesome!

Marty
05-28-2009, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=Death_at_Midnight]I like your sig line.. "i came, i saw, i blew it up."[/QUOTE]

Yep - have a look at '92 Firefly's filecard!