PDA

View Full Version : Target Range, A Show Of Hands Please!

Prince Adam
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm curious to see who here would be up for bringing back the Target Range feature. Every Tuesday and Thursday somebody posts a shot of a Joe and one of a Cobra and everyone shares their thoughts on that figure/character. I'll get it started if no one else wants to, but who else wants to see this return? :)

Roland da Thompson Gunner
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
It would be good to see return.

Nekoman
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure I was around when this was done last, but it sounds fun. :)

Lava Boss
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Sure, but I'm too unreliable to post pictures. ;)

Rambo
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Go ahead! Lets see what happens. :cool:

troopsofdoom
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Sure, it's always fun to discuss figures in detail.

Jay
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm in!

rnrhero
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm in. I've unboxed and started organizing my collection so this could actually work for me right now. How does it work exactly?

Sonneilon
05-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Honestly, I'm impartial.

Jay
05-19-2009, 01:35 AM
[QUOTE=rnrhero]I'm in. I've unboxed and started organizing my collection so this could actually work for me right now. How does it work exactly?[/QUOTE]
Basically, you choose your date and figure ahead of time and when your day comes, you have to post a shot of said character "in his element". We then discuss the character, if we like him or not, how he fits in our respective joeverses and suchlike.
As an example, here is an older Target Range pic I'd taken of my Doctor Mindbender figure:
http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php?i=5592&catid=member&imageuser=270

Outrider
05-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Sounds sweet to me PA, I always enjoyed TR. I think the reason it faded away was because a lot of people who put there hands up for a slot never posted their pics, so for it to work, people need to take it seriously enough to follow up their words with action!

Urban Saboteur
05-19-2009, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=Outrider]Sounds sweet to me PA, I always enjoyed TR. I think the reason it faded away was because a lot of people who put there hands up for a slot never posted their pics, so for it to work, people need to take it seriously enough to follow up their words with action![/QUOTE]

I agree with this, if you get too many people in one month it might be best to have one agree to be on standby. Alternatively set a small rota so that one person steps on one date and the other replaces him for the following month.

Typically theres only about 8 or so date slots in each month, you already have enough contributors for TR now, but if you had 16 you could use the other 8 for back up in case the other person cannot post, selectively you could then use the secondary 8 as your first selection in the following month. :)

This way everyone would always get a shot in on TR. When G.S was around if someone wanted a slot who'd already participated in the previous month she'd keep that person on hold for a newer member, if nobody signed up to that slot then they would be allowed on. It kept things fresh.

I'd be interested in doing TR again, I enjoyed seeing what other people thought of characters I liked/loathed.

Sonneilon
05-19-2009, 08:27 AM
RnR, it also was for you to showcase a good guy and a 'bad' guy. Yes, the line can be blurry on who is good and who is bad (Oktober Guard, for example). THey don't have to be in their element really. It started out as a "can the figures stand the test of time in terms of us liking them or hating them." What we thought was great 20 years ago (using an ARAH, for example), might not be so today.

If you were to throw down an ARAH v1 Tunnel Rat, I don't think anybody will dis the figure. I think everyone agrees that that figure is perfect and Hasbro has NEVER done a better version.

On the other hand, take the ARAH Dreadnoks (sans Zartan) and it'll be a mixed bag. The big heads destroy it for a lot of people.

The Target Range, literally, is that the FIGURES in questions are the TARGET for our love or hate.

Rich, you may remember the days when I'd go running to people to fill in slots. I'd run to Craig, you, DAVE, Shane... Even old Luis if I couldn't make my own date OR I just needed slots. Ah, the old says. lol

Black Knight
05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]Honestly, I'm impartial.[/QUOTE]

I agree, its hard enough for me to remember to post pics on "Weekend Warriors", and I'm the one who runs the weekend themes.

Prince Adam
05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Interesting.

Well, if there are no objections, what say you all if we give it a shot for the rest of May and June and see how it goes?

I'll kick off today since it's late in the game, so-to-speak, and put the signup list in another thread momentarily.

Flatline
05-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT RETURN! DON'T COUNT ON ME AT THE MOMENT TO POST THOUGH :o

troopsofdoom
05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
It would be nice to see figures on the Target Range with all their original accessories. Cool accessories can make a mediocre figure truly great.

Prince Adam
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I usually try to do that, but when it comes obscure figures and whatnot I usually don't have 'em. I did actually find Falcon's SSF backpack after I'd already posted the pic. :o

Death_at_Midnight
05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I would like to participate, but I think i'll hold back for a bit to see what it's all about.

Da Talent
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm on board, signed up too.

Stormer
01-23-2010, 01:24 AM
So I was AWOL for a while... Getting back into looking at the site regularly, I'd noticed the lack of Target Range. What happened with this revival? Did people put their names down for dates then not post? Would anyone want to bring it back again...?

If not, I might take it on as an irregular feature for me, as I have a huge selection of figures (although not so much 25th-style) and I always had fun finding ones that hadn't been on the Range before, and taking a figure-showcase shot tended to be more likely for me to pull off than setting up a full scene. Would be a nice way of easing back into taking pics to post here, and I always enjoyed the "community review" side of it...

troopsofdoom
01-23-2010, 07:06 AM
I'd like to see Target Range come back too.

General Jones
01-23-2010, 07:54 AM
I would like to see this come back as well. I liked it because we got people to discuss the figures and usually if they were from the 80's, it brought out a good memory or 2.