PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Diorama stories that never took off.

miragearmor
10-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Anyone had their moments to make a diosotry, but put it off because of: lack of funds, time, needed figures, limitations on set designs, lack of skills?

Just wondering.

What's your take guys? :confused:

Outrider
10-19-2006, 11:05 PM
How about "yeah, I'll get around to it one day!" ;)

lehsreh
10-20-2006, 04:19 AM
Yeah, i think we all have.Actually im in the middle of that one right now. Need other figures and funds to make sets. I get jealous of all the guys with the pics of their Joe rooms with about 20 of every figure.

General Hawk
10-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Pretty much every dio-story I do starts off a lot more ambitiously than it ends up being...lack of finances, lack of time, etc... all bring it back down a few levels.

Sometimes it's fun to dream, though. :)

Justin

Sonneilon
10-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm a man of ideas. Doesn't mean they are GREAT ideas or good ideas or maybe the execution blows. I was working on this big gnarly dio "A Matter of Anti-Matter" and then Luke came out with his and it made me look at dios totally different. That dio fell apart right quick too. Not to mention DOOM showed up and well, my latest 3.75" is the result. Mind you, it took nearly 15 pathetic, lame, unstylistic dios to get there.

For almost a year, I couldn't finish a story. I left them open-ended. I was trying to do short dios (like "Scrap Iron Strikes Back" and "I am Ju-On") but those are just practice. I'm starting the ideas for the next 3.75" and hopefully it will work out.

But yeah, it's like Justin said. Funds play a huge role. My own building skills often limit what I really want to do.

Blowtorch
10-20-2006, 09:30 AM
My problem is time, funds don't really play a big part in my dio stories. I'm working on a dio story now that for almost two years now isn't finished. The problem is just time. Then lack of motivation.

Lava Boss
10-20-2006, 12:08 PM
In the past I've had more ideas than talent. Now I have few ideas and still not much talent. I struggle just get single photos to turn out well sometime. Really, it's the effects, even word balloons that limit me. I'm not buying any new software to make photo cartoons. Making dio stories seems like more work that what I personaly would get out of it. My euthisiasm for the toys and the Joe universe overall is fairly low at the moment.

Outrider
10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=Blowtorch]My problem is time, funds don't really play a big part in my dio stories. I'm working on a dio story now that for almost two years now isn't finished. The problem is just time. Then lack of motivation.[/QUOTE]

As BT said. Time and motivation are the keys for me too. My wife and I both work full time, so there is always "something else" that needs to be done. The odd half hour or hour here and there for a few one shots I can manage okay, or the occasional trip to a nearby park for a location shoot can be squeezed in on a weekend if I'm lucky. If I used that time for a dio story I wouldn't have time for anything else, and I enjoy doing one shots too much to give them up. Plus if I got bogged down in a dio story and it became a chore, it would take the fun out of it, and that would defeat the purpose. Another thing is that I've never come up with a plot that I thought was interesting enough or different enough from what everyone else has done. I would love to do one good dio story, but I'm still waiting for that flash of inspiration!

Mobius_1
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I usally stick to Fanfictions, meaning there are characters i use thet cannot be recreated or cuostomized. Plus, i live in suburbia and don't have room for sets.

Sonneilon
10-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Actually, if you lived in Suburbia, you'd have more room to do outdoor shots because you'd have yards and most likely, some sort of open land or forests. Unlike being an Urban Rat where you are surrounded by only buildings... :P

I mean, I've lost the garage and am building everything on the kitchen table and shooting on an island. Space is way cramped but where I am at when doing dios now, I can reuse everything. SO the S6 dio, it's all recycled pieces from teh 3.75. AND I still have 2 sheets of foamboard that I can cut up! :D

Bayer
11-18-2006, 07:49 AM
What has been my greatest delay is room and money. I've got these great big plans but lack the space and resources to carry them through. I've been adapting and adjusting a central idea to meet the resources I have. As Sonnelion has indicated, looking at the other dios begins a train of thinking and adjustment.

Mobius_1
11-18-2006, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]Actually, if you lived in Suburbia, you'd have more room to do outdoor shots because you'd have yards and most likely, some sort of open land or forests. Unlike being an Urban Rat where you are surrounded by only buildings... :P

I mean, I've lost the garage and am building everything on the kitchen table and shooting on an island. Space is way cramped but where I am at when doing dios now, I can reuse everything. SO the S6 dio, it's all recycled pieces from teh 3.75. AND I still have 2 sheets of foamboard that I can cut up! :D[/QUOTE]
did i forget to mention that my mom will very rarley let me take the cam out of the yard. it also dosen't help that my community is on a peninsula and has no "forests." that's why i use my bedroom for most pics. but i have struck pure gold by my garage door........

rnrhero
11-19-2006, 09:01 AM
I have written and rewritten a story that I want to do about 4 times now. I take some test shots, build a set, and then go back to writting. It doesnt help that I always seem to be short on a figure or a set piece that I want. Now with my newborn around the house I have had even less time to photograph anything. 10 pictures in the last 3 months and I wansnt happy with but 2 of them. I think my main problem besides time is I tend to think too big. I story that I am writing is like one of the joe cartoon Mini Series' from way back when. I want to write the big epic. Then I come up with something and one of you guys have already done it, better, I might add. It's all or your fault. Thats my story. Its your fault. :p

Self-Modifier
11-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I must've missed this thread the first time around. I have two dio-stories that never really "took off". One, I believe I've described on here before. I actually started, but never finished it. It was called "General Recommissioned" and involved a group of Joes (Major Storm, Steeler, Grand Slam, Clutch, Short-Fuze, Rock n' Roll, Roadblock, Mirage, and Dial-Tone) pulling the General out of mothballs after it had been shut down by military budget cuts years before. But Cobra got wind of this and decided to test some new armor-piercing missiles Destro had designed on it. I had just gotten to the beginning of the action when for various reasons I had to stop and never got back to it.

The other one, which I don't want to describe in too much detail in case I ever get around to it (after my Transformers series is done of course), actually wouldn't have had any Joes in it. It would have been called "Blades of Vengeance: A Slice and Dice Action Thriller" and as you might guess, the protagonists would've been Slice and Dice.

Before I explain the premise, I'll let you know that I don't own the Vypra figure that came with the Cobra Rattler 4x4, but I have the two Vypras from the Cobra Ninja 6-pack, and I like their backstory as the twin daughters of Onihashi. However, I decided that in my world Onihashi had one daughter, who joined the Red Ninjas and became Slice's apprentice.

Anyway, as the story starts, Slice is training Vypra in the Red Ninja dojo on Cobra Island when someone shoots at him with a crossbow. But Vypra is hit instead and nearly killed. Slice chases the would-be killer out of the dojo, but he escapes. Back at the dojo, he finds that the crossbow bolt in his apprentice's back is of Night Creeper manufacture. But Cobra Commander pays the Night Creepers a regular stipend specifically so they won't take out contracts on any Cobra operatives! So Slice and Dice head for Night Creeper headquarters in Thailand and from there embark on a globe-trotting adventure to learn who either hired or impersonated a Night Creeper in an attempt to kill him.

Meanwhile, back on Cobra Island, Scalpel and Dr. Mindbender struggle to save Vypra's life, as Slice warned them that if she dies, they'll soon follow at his own hands. And while all this is going on, Red Ninja field commander Slash starts a coup to wrest control of the Red Ninjas away from Slice during his absence.

I really think this has the potential to be a pretty good story, so I want to get around to producing it someday. I know a lot of folks around here are anti-ninja, but I hope if I ever get around to this, they'd give it a read anyway. The aim would be to give it more of a James Bond feel than anything else.

bluestalker88
11-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Self-Modifier thoughs both sound like awsome stories and if/when you ever finish them I will be glad to read them both :D sounds like great stuff

ToneGunsRevisited
11-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Self-man, you should try make a movie out of that. Even the most anti-ninjas would spend some time reading this great diostory.

I'm one of the anti-ninja, but anti-superpower-ninja. The one who beats everybody and seems to use the FORCE to sense others.

But still your story looks very real.

silencer
11-20-2006, 05:03 AM
The only time I'd ever be anti-ninja would be if one was trying to knock me off.
:D

Bayer
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=silencer]The only time I'd ever be anti-ninja would be if one was trying to knock me off.
:D[/QUOTE]

As you should be! :p

silencer
11-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Put it this way, if a ninja just happens to be doing his own thing ie. slicing, dicing, taking a slash etc. without harming innocent civilians I'm not going to interfere. If however he turns destroyer and begins randomly chopping heads, he's going to force me to pull out a 45 and bang, settle it.

blaster_e11
11-21-2006, 06:48 AM
i've been toying with the idea of a somalia dio story but i've been lacking most of what i'd need : time, figs, sets and software :rolleyes:

Dersham
11-21-2006, 08:12 AM
A somalia dio story would be sweet and with PTE stuff you could easily get your hands on helicopters and and humvees without spending too much money. But those Black Hawks don't have miniguns on them, that bothers me a lot, perhaps not with others, but I want those Black Hawks to have those awesome machine guns on it. As for desert camouflaged Joes, PTE has some and there's a few Joes too but of course there's always customizing. Have you seen Wowboy's stuff yet? He has a great collection of desert themed customs which are just awesome and he has a desert scenery set up too. If you haven't checked that out it might give you some ideas.

Mobius_1
11-21-2006, 05:19 PM
one of ther reasons i don't dio is that i am very lacking in photoshop. also, it's more of a PTE- Eversparkle dio with cobra thrown in as a bad guy, so i couldn't really post it here. :( but, that dosen't mean i won't post it on you tube, and link it here!

Swindle
11-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Well, I have little talent and only a few programs, but I try my best.

Most of my sort comings are big battles. I'm not good at visual story telling, but it doesn't stop me.

My dios are just self-indulgent. I'm not even sure other people would like them. They are made for me first and foremost. It is easier than writing a fan fic, so I can pull up a scene or photo I did, get a little chuckle, and get to see how I feel GIJoe should be done.

NemesisEnforcerFan
11-27-2006, 06:12 PM
[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo]Not really.. most if not all my GIJOE Stories or dio ideas have made it onto the web. I have a distinct advantage in that currently i am unable to work.. and therefore most of my channelled time and energy is spent scripting dio's and story idea's.. and realising them by capturing them on camera.

I have a current alternative joe verse at the moment.. the A-team are involved as are the GIJOE Unit and Action Force.
I made my first video about this and posted to photobucket.. It's called GIJOE Chase and focuses primarily on the hunt for Red Jackal :cool:
Here is a lonky
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/UKAFCollectors/Dios%20And%20Stories/Nems%20Dio%20Pics/GI%20JOE%20Chase%20Video/?action=view&current=GIJOEChaseVideo.flv
Lmk what you think.. I have other short anims which are spoofs.. and I have so far done a dio called Supermarine which is in this section under that title. If I have one major glitch its that currently I am spending any money I get on GIJOE figures I want.. and so the money I need to create the sets I want doesnt currently exist..
Money is a big problem with not working.. I have to save a couple of weeks to get joe stuff but apart from that things are :cool: [/COLOR].[/FONT]

Self-Modifier
11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Swindle]My dios are just self-indulgent. I'm not even sure other people would like them. They are made for me first and foremost [...] how I feel GIJoe should be done.[/QUOTE]

Same here! The whole point of the Joe/TF crossover is to entertain me. If other people enjoy it that's great, but all I'm doing is writing a story where all these characters meet in the way I think they should meet. I've read Marvel's, Devil's Due's, and Dreamwave's attempts to cross these characters over with each other, and none of them rang true.

The Marvel series was too disjointed, trying to squeeze in all the bits of continuity from the ongoing Joe and TF series that they could, leading to weirdness like Optimus Prime leading the Autobots in the first issue, then being dead in the next, and Cobra Commander and Destro being present at first, but then Serpentor in charge two issues later.

The Dreamwave series was set in the past, so none of the Transformers turned into their proper alternate forms. Plus, it was too dark. If Joes and TFs are going to cross paths, it should be fun! That doesn't mean it can't be dramatic, but it certainly shouldn't be dark and brooding.

The first Devil's Due crossover (the only one by that company that I've read) got a lot right. It was bright, it was exciting, it had some good character moments, but again, the Transformers were all turning into Cobra vehicles. It's a cool visual, but c'mon, people! When Optimus Prime and Duke cross paths, Prime should be a semi truck, darnit!

Anyway, I kinda got off track there. I'll just reiterate what I'm trying to say-- I write everything I write (dios, fanfics, and back in the day, RPG campaigns) for my own amusement, no one else's. If others enjoy it, that makes me feel good, but at the end of the day, I'm only trying to entertain myself.

I think Stan Lee once said something to that effect-- He wrote comic books that he would've wanted to read, and was lucky enough to get them published.

Fisher
11-29-2006, 07:20 AM
My main reason for not being able to work on my dio is lack of time, I recently got promoted at work, so now I am salary and I am working later in the evenings, and since I already work a mid-shift, the only time I have to shoot is weekends. Add the holidays into the mix, and morning Dr. appointments with the gf to make sure the baby is developing healthy and normally, and weather, this fall/winter is looking like I won't be able to finish what I have started.