PDA

View Full Version : frustrations

Mobius_1
10-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Today I took some photos that will never see day light. i was down at the park gettin stares and taunts from all the kids. i take the two shots I need and when i get home, i find the memorycard for my camera IN THE COMPUTER!!!! and with me having aspergers i barely got out of there with my sanity. plus these shots were "take and delete" meaning if my mom found out i took the cam to the park, she'd kill me. this is probably the last time i venture out into the world with my joes :(

Dersham
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
sorry to hear that man, yeah local kids can be a real pain. But then we don't all have cool backyards to utilize. As for your mom, may I suggest asking nicely? I'm sure that's been done but sometimes if you ask your mother enough times she caves. Or at least that's what I find, though my mother can be quite stubborn sometimes. I wouldn't give up though, I'm sure if you ran recon to find if a place was isolated enough from people walking past you could set yourself up a nice little photo studio without worry of being harrassed by pesky children.

Jay
10-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Mothers of children with Asperger's treat their sons/daughters like they're much younger and irresponsible than they actually are.

I admire your guts, Mobius. There's no way I'd ever let myself be seen in public with my Joes... Which means my work is forever going to be backyard/indoors work. :(

Outrider
10-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Mobius, the trick is to get out real early, when the park is pretty well deserted. Saves a lot of trouble.

Sgt_DP
10-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Outrider has a great point, get out to the park early, for an extra bonus, the light is always better first thing in the morning or later in the afternoon...
But in the morning, all the brats and jerks will be asleep...

Too bad there is not a Joe Dios Fan nearby you to go out on photo shoots with. I am 29 and even I find the stares and comments bothersome... I think I hid most of my Joes when I was 16... I just ignore people and put up with their "40 year old virgin" comments and try to point out that when that guy sold his... he made a lot of $$$ (not that I am ever parting with my guys.... well, maybe duplicates still fresh in the box many years from now...???)

Oh well, I hope some of our comments here for you will encourage you to keep going at it to enjoy your Hobbie...

Bayer
10-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Everyone has hit the early morning thing. This is the truth. Not only is the park yours, but the light is incredible. This especially important in an urban center when the smog factor gets worse as the day progresses.

As far as aspergers, people who ridicule are often those who have no real interests or passions of their own and can only take solace in tormenting others. You can bet that through history there have been the jerks and childish idiots who made fun of and tormented the great artists. Socrates was tried by the ignorant and was put to death by drinking poison. Don't let those with no passion or a limited view of the world dictate what you can do. There is too much of this already running rampant in the world as the conformists take a tighter control everywhere.

Let you passion fly, there is no telling where it will take you!!!

ToneGunsRevisited
10-02-2006, 04:57 AM
Never ever heard about aspenger. I didn't a small search in google and found what an aspenger syndrome means. I can understand what are you saying with being pissed off with brats. All that people said here are possible to be done. Another thing to do is call your mom or dad or older brother out to help you takin' photos. I know that at least Craig (Outrider) do the same as I do. Call wife to help outdoors. I have always my wife besides me. In first time he thought I was a freak, now she is doing some shots for practice or even helping me in find out locations.
Do it. Call others to help you. School friends, neighboors. You can even bring more people to the hobby. And maybe you can find someone wo already have a digicam, so you'll not have to ask for the home digicam. ;) Just don't give up my boy. You can try to build some sets. Go for the "how to forum" and take some ideas. Photoshop your pictures. Take a look at the last 2 pictures from silencer, the Street Fighter pictures. May the force be with you. :)

Sonneilon
10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Remember to use these excuses when shooting...

"I'm shooting for a catalogue."

"It's for my photography class."

"You break them, you owe me $10 per figure you lil bratz." ;)

holesnipe
10-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Here is a little trick. I find the best time to go venture outdoors is on lunch hours. The second trick, I got to softball or little league fields, you have dirt and grass available. lastely, when the seasons over you don't have to worry about anyone hanging out on the fields. It's all yours... Oh, and take a duffle bag with a lunch. If someone does show up. Put the stuff away and kick back to eat lunch. LOL ;)

Sonneilon
10-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I usually get kids who are interested in what I'm doing as opposed to those who are running wild. Sometimes, I can get them to help me out. Hand me figures, clean up my mess, etc. lol

Outrider
10-02-2006, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=ToneGunsRevisited]I know that at least Craig (Outrider) do the same as I do. Call wife to help outdoors. I have always my wife besides me. In first time he thought I was a freak, now she is doing some shots for practice or even helping me in find out locations.[/QUOTE]

Spot on, TG. My wife always accompanies me on location shoots. She's a great help, and the extra pair of "location spotting" eyes always comes in handy. :D

Bayer
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]I usually get kids who are interested in what I'm doing as opposed to those who are running wild. Sometimes, I can get them to help me out. Hand me figures, clean up my mess, etc. lol[/QUOTE]

This has been the majority of my experience. I still get the occasional jerk, but as I'm closer to forty than thirty, and look like I might be meaner than not, people who do say something, are usually genuinely interested.

Bayer
10-04-2006, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=Outrider]Spot on, TG. My wife always accompanies me on location shoots. She's a great help, and the extra pair of "location spotting" eyes always comes in handy. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm just happy my wife doesn't argue more with my choice of hobbies and the sundry costs. I'd never imagine that she'd want to go out and help. You're a lucky man!

Outrider
10-04-2006, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=Bayer]I'm just happy my wife doesn't argue more with my choice of hobbies and the sundry costs. I'd never imagine that she'd want to go out and help. You're a lucky man![/QUOTE]

You got that right, Bayer! :D

Sonneilon
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I look about 10 years younger than I am so I've found that kids want to relate to me more. "ooooh, that guy's old and he's taking pictures of GI Joe figures..." So instead of pestering me, they take interest. I did a couple S6 shots in Seattle last weekend and a whole b-day party of kids stopped playing Hide n Seek and watched me instead.

Blowtorch
10-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Mobius
I'm sorry to hear that this happen to you. It's a shame people can't be more respectful of someone's interests.
I tend to ignore comments from people about my Joe hobby. My boss thought she was be cute by cracking jokes about my Joe collection when she saw that I wasn't feeding into her remarks it stopped. I know it's hard to do sometimes, but it does work. It seems like everyone here gave you go tips on where to go to do photos. I myself have taken pictures at night and very early in the morning I also look for places where no one would really ever want to go. Good luck