PDA

View Full Version : Temperature affecting Joes?

Raven
07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
So England is very hot. And very very dry. So I can't go out to take pictures for my dios due to health reasons (heat makes me ill) however I noticed during my short Snake-Eyes dio that old Tommy's hands had started to really really soften. Likewise when leaving some parts out to dry, they warped (JvC Dusty's arms shrank at the shoulders and JvC Snake-Eyes' torso wouldn't clip back together properly) pretty badly. This is really annoying as I wana start getting abck to doing my new ones but if even 30 minutes outside causes parts to warp imagine what my several hour shoots will be like, not just on the figures but on me!

Outrider
07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
This seems to be more of a problem with the newer Joes rather than those from the 80's. The newer Joes seem to be made of a softer compound which is more thermoplastic. Another problem for almost any plastic item is that prolonged exposure to the sun will eventually degrade the plastic which will fade and crack as it breaks down due to UV rays. So for Joes, Sun=bad. :eek:

Bayer
07-30-2006, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=Outrider]This seems to be more of a problem with the newer Joes rather than those from the 80's. The newer Joes seem to be made of a softer compound which is more thermoplastic. Another problem for almost any plastic item is that prolonged exposure to the sun will eventually degrade the plastic which will fade and crack as it breaks down due to UV rays. So for Joes, Sun=bad. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're not the only one to notice the material differences between the new figures and the older ones. The plastic Hasbro used in the 80's era figures has a harder consistency than that used in the newer ones (Funskool also has quality problems). While the softer plastic allows some easier customizing, the issues of warping and softening as well as the UV breakdown are all more prevelent.

Some suggestions I have are, DO NOT leave the figures in direct sunlight when they're not in use. The less time they have being exposed to UV and ambient heat the better. If you notice the figures softening, place them in ice or a COLD place (freezer) for a couple minutes. Just remember to reshape them before chilling them, otherwise Mom was right and they'll stay that way. Beware that if you are using them in water, that chilling them can also damage them as it can freeze any water in joints or other structural points and cause breakage. Also if the figure is flawed (already cracked or compromised) chilling it can cause issues.

Outrider also points out that the plastic will fade through exposure to sunlight, be aware that storage areas don't have to be in direct sunlight for discoloration - I stored many of my larger vehicles in an upstairs closet in a room with western exposure. While the closet was never left open, UV filtered into the space and caused a yellowing in all the white surfaces and a "tanning" in grey surfaces (when grey is yellowed it takes a tan cast).

BRASS KNUCKLE CHUCKLES
07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Well Raven one way to maybe beat the heat when it comes to taking really cool pics of G.I. Joe is go and take the pics at the butt crack of dawn early in the morning or wait untill evening. I don't know wat your schedule is like but maybe these ideas could help you out. Good luck!!!

Sonneilon
07-30-2006, 09:55 PM
I posted something like this a couple of weeks ago. I was out shooting my dio and the Cobra Troopers were getting ultra rubbery. The VvV Vipers weren't as bad. Craig clued me in on the dangers of UV and light and heat on plastic. They're all fine now, but it did worry me a lil bit. In the end, don't leave them out for long and try to keep them in shade if not being used for pics. That goes for the camera too. lol.

Outrider
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]I posted something like this a couple of weeks ago. I was out shooting my dio and the Cobra Troopers were getting ultra rubbery. The VvV Vipers weren't as bad. Craig clued me in on the dangers of UV and light and heat on plastic. They're all fine now, but it did worry me a lil bit. In the end, don't leave them out for long and try to keep them in shade if not being used for pics. That goes for the camera too. lol.[/QUOTE]

Very sound policy, G. As long as you keep yourself in the shade, too! :)

Sonneilon
08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Believe me, I question whether the cards in the camera will melt or not if left in the sun for too long. It's funny. I've so wanted a decent digital camera (I'm on my 3rd) and as soon as I get it, I'm worried about outdoor temperatures! I never worried about such things with my old film cameras. lol

Bayer
08-01-2006, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]Believe me, I question whether the cards in the camera will melt or not if left in the sun for too long. It's funny. I've so wanted a decent digital camera (I'm on my 3rd) and as soon as I get it, I'm worried about outdoor temperatures! I never worried about such things with my old film cameras. lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its funny what an investment in time and money does to our priorities. I don't know about you guys, but my digital camera is one of my most prized items and the amount of worry I spend over it could make you think it was one of my children.