PDA

View Full Version : dio shots and angles?

lehsreh
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
[COLOR=Red]when i do a dio, i take the same approach as doing a comic, or at least i intend to. closeups, extreme closeups, birds eye view, worms eye view, etc, etc. i have noticed however, that i do not do many shots where i cut off a lot of any character. what i am asking here is, how do you prefer your dio shots? do you like a shot where the torso is cut in half, a shot where one character if totally visible and another isnt, or do you like a shot where you can see at least the whole torso? or does it really matter to you?

i am trying to make a better quality dio, after graham pointed out the word font difference and misspelled words(i had my g/f go back and read it, she was ashamed. now she wishes she had proof read them before i posted them). but those of you who have read my dios, are my shots up to par? should i do a lot of extreme closeups and different angles? almost done with all the shots for my next chapter, its a big one so i cant change things for it. im just wanting some input for my future chapters and dios.[/COLOR]

General Scarlett
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes.....to all of the above.

Self-Modifier
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I use bits of everything. I know a lot of dio-authors like to show everything in the shot, and that pretty much always looks cool-- But I also love extreme close-ups and crazy angles. It helps stories look more cinematic, in my opinion.

Outrider
02-05-2008, 12:00 AM
It depends entirely on what I am trying to achieve with the photo, but I never rule anything out. The "satellite" shot I posted a while ago required climbing on to my garage roof to get the "straight down" angle from the distance I required, so there's nothing I wouldn't do to get the shot I wanted (well, within reason, perhaps!). :)

Urban Saboteur
02-05-2008, 05:50 AM
I can only speak for myself, when i do any diorama or set of photo's whilst taking certain angles i always try and look for something different.

It's good having everything in the shot, but sometimes it's not always necessary is it?
If the shot requires for example... Shockwave to be talking to Sure Fire, and it's a heated argument, sure you might think it's cool to have someone's reaction to the discussion behind them.. but is it totally necessary to move the story along? ;)

The last dio story i read by you, was the one with the Watch Tower in the country boy can survive, i thought you popped off some good shots and great angles in that one. :cool:

Acantilado
02-05-2008, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE=Self-Modifier]I use bits of everything. I know a lot of dio-authors like to show everything in the shot, and that pretty much always looks cool-- But I also love extreme close-ups and crazy angles. It helps stories look more cinematic, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, when I shot a pic, I both think of it as a comic frame, and as a movie frame, so I try to use resorts from both. If you shot a dio entirely in extreme close-ups, it will feel like it has no settings; if you shot a dio only in large views, characters will appear distant, not only in the physical meaning, of course. So, IMO, ideal is a wise combination of both

Stormer
02-06-2008, 02:35 AM
I'd definitely say do a mixture. When there's a large-scale action sequence going on, give us a nice wide angle to get the full scope of events. If someone's saying something intense, give us a close-up on their face.

The best advice I can think to give is to read some comics, and watch some TV and movies, that you think tell their story well. Pay attention to the way scenes and shots are framed depending on the mood they're trying to put across. And if possible, try to find some that you think DON'T work so well; some of the old Rob Liefeld-drawn comics (like early X-Force) could have a lot of full-body shots of characters in dramatic poses (or just standing there) but they didn't really do much to advance the story on their own or differentiate themselves from each other.

Also, if you're planning your scenes shot-by-shot in advance, when it comes to taking the pictures maybe try a few different angles/styles for each one then you can see what works best in a sequence for telling the story -- things that work as individual shots may not turn out to be the most efective as part of a series (but you can always post those individual shots in the photos section and use them as promos to advertise your dio)!