PDA

View Full Version : Man, it's really hot out.

Sonneilon
06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Living in Bellingham, Wa, not far from the Canadian border, it doesn't usually get hot here. We'd be lucky if hit 90, the average summer 'heat' is around 80. These last few days, it's been 85+. Yesterday, we spent all afternoon shoveling, wheelbarreling and distributing pea gravel to our backyard. (You'll even see it when Scrap Iron makes his appearance)

So today, I was out shooting a couple of 'short' sequences for the dio and man, I could've sworn my stuff was gonna melt in the sun. The NeoVipers seemed to be doing ok due to the harder plastic H was using in 2002, but the DTC Blueshirt got really rubbery feeling. Their helmets were able to be squished much more than usual! Sure, plastic will soften in the sun/heat, but out there, it was crazy. I ended up putting a lot of the guys in the shade when trying to set up.

And the worst part other than sweating the whole time? My flaming Vipers kept on falling down from heat exhaustion! I had them ALL set up and was just moving to get the camera when 1 fell and another 15 went with him. You can imagine my patience level went down real fast. Anyway, I got the shots off, the figures didn't melt and we'll find out if the chip in the camera melted!

Anyone else trying to shoot in hot weather and noticing the same effect?

Self-Modifier
06-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Here in California, in the SF Bay Area, we've been getting some extremely hot temperatures. Too hot for me to even think about going outside for photography-- Which is lame because I've had some free time lately and I want to shoot a little of the TF crossover-- And that brings me to my own additional problem. Not only do my newer Joes get all soft in the hot sun, but the metal parts of my Binaltech Transformers get super-hot to the touch! Plus you never know when a bead of my own sweat is gonna plop down into a shot I might be trying to take.

Fortunately, it's a little bit cooler today, so maybe the heat wave is dying down for a while. But last week it was so ridiculously hot, I can't even begin to describe it!

donsbabyboo
06-26-2006, 02:58 PM
me & self-mod are practically neighbors
i work about several freeway exits from where he lives
and I live in Fremont where the temperature is still about the same

it reached triple digits 3 days last week!! :eek:

ToneGuns
06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Why english and american don't stop use this ºF, and miles, and pounds, and inches, and such things and give a little look on the metric units that everyone is using in labs, homes, industry around the world? :p

Just do like the S.I. and it's all done! :p ;)

donsbabyboo
06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Cuz then, McDonalds wont be able to serve Quarter Pounders anymore!!! :p

Oh the Humanity!! :eek:

Sonneilon
06-26-2006, 07:34 PM
LMAO!!!

Dons, that totally rocked! You gave the US measurement system ALL the meaning it has ever needed!!!

Outrider
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=Sonneilon]LMAO!!!

Dons, that totally rocked! You gave the US measurement system ALL the meaning it has ever needed!!![/QUOTE]

What's wrong with walking into McDonalds and asking for "a ninth of a kilogrammer, thank you"? :) As for the weather, it's the middle of winter here. I actually had to put on a jacket and beanie to go to work this morning.."Brrr, 5 degrees celsius, bloody freezing!!" :D

Ion
06-27-2006, 01:44 AM
You know, Poland is supposed to be in tempered climate area... Which doesn't mean that it is like that...

Yesterday it was 38 Celsius (100.4 F) and *ONLY* 31 C (88 F) in the evening....

Today is so far around 30 C (86 F), but it's before noon, so everything is possible...

It's too goddamn hot for anything...

But yeah - metric units are much clearer to use :P

Blowtorch
06-27-2006, 04:23 AM
Well it was hotter than hell last week here in Central NY. Working in a 90+ degree warehouse then loading a trailer where it's 120-140 degrees really sucks. Even more when my loading partner passed out from heat exhaustion. This week it seems to have cooled off a lot. The rain helped some on that. The pass couple of weekends I haven't taken many photos for my dio story because I've been busy with other things. Maybe this weekend.

Lava Boss
06-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Be careful, figures can be damaged from heat and heat combined with direct sunlight.

Moto-viper
06-28-2006, 04:26 AM
Like Outrider I'm freezing my ass off here (wore a beanie today too) - though he's got it worse living in Melbourne; it's colder down there and he has to live in Melbourne :D

Anyways, I did some shooting in 40c heat in the bush and none of my figures suffered any effects from it, and have never had any heat damage to anything in any summer.

Sonneilon
06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Moto, do you use the old ARAH figures? If you are, I think the plastic is different. As a kid, I don't ever remember them getting soft. I used to play with them outside all the time. I haven't taken a look at my Blueshirts to see how they're doing. They've been in the garage since the shoot.

Moto-viper
06-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Old and new, never a problem with any of them.

Sonneilon
06-29-2006, 08:49 AM
If you have any of the DTC Blueshirts, try taking them out. Or a VvV Jinx. See how they fare.

Moto-viper
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Given it's currently eleven degrees outside, I don't think it'll prove much ;)